Friday 29 August 2014

Lowlife 85 – A Day Out

A Day Out

By Dominic Horton

It's good to wake up naturally and to not have to set an alarm, pure bliss. Wait a minute, it is 0934 hours, virtually half the day has gone already, what a waste. And I am supposed to be going out today, doing something wholesome and worthwhile and not doing what I did yesterday, idling the day away drinking in the Flagon & Gorses with my crony The Pirate, the vivacious landlord of the pub. But it was Bank Holiday and you are allowed to, or even supposed to, go to the pub on a holiday Monday, even if in reality few people seem to do so these days. Right, settle down, don't panic Mr Mainwaring, just get the things done you need to do: breakfast, get ready, pick somewhere to go and egress the house: it's quite simple.

The portrait of the poor soul who resembles
the Pirate from Harvington Hall.
I'd better take one of those slices of bread out of the toaster and just have the one, after all I am supposed to be shedding a few pounds and I won't get to exercise today if I am going out. One round of toast seems a bit of a sorry sight but thinking about it I do have a yoghurt in the fridge that needs to be eaten and it qualifies as a breakfast item, at least on the continent anyway. The yoghurt is six days out of date, should I eat it? It might give me Salmonella and I am supposed to have another internet date tomorrow night. What a pathetic individual she will think I am if I have to cry off as a result of eating an out of date economy Sainsbury's low fat yoghurt. Oh to hell with it, let's take a gamble and live life dangerously; if I tell my date about it she might actually find my reckless risk taking a turn on.

A bath or a shower? A tough decision. A bath seems a bit decadent on a Tuesday given the detrimental effect it will have on my fuel bill but if I have a shower I will most likely itch afterwards, like I normally do. I feel irritable enough already today without being all itchy, so a bath it is. And now for the luxury of drying myself down with my new luxurious black bath towel I have invested in. This won't do, I am covered all over in little black bits of fluff off the towel, like an errant slave who has been tarred and feathered in the American Deep South in the 18th Century. I am going to have to go in the naffing shower now anyway. I should have paid the extra to get a towel from M&S instead of going for the budget option at Wilkos. At this rate it will be lunchtime before I get out of the house.
From Harvington Hall: the baby
torture contraption


It's lunchtime. I wish I wasn't such a ditherer, that last two hours spent trawling the net trying to decide where to go was such a waste of time. But at least my mind is made up now, Harvington Hall, a 16th Century Manor house with priest holes, not too far away and there shouldn't be too many bothersome kids there either. I wonder if the youth of today get excited about priest holes? I doubt it very much. Prior to the restoration of the Catholic church, when the King's magistrates tried to find the priests in their holes it was like a grisly ecclesiastical game of ackee 1-2-3 but just with higher stakes.

Now, what shoes to wear. I had better not wear my red ones as there might be school children around as it is the summer holidays and I could be misconstrued as a paedophile. I'll plump for the brown brogues, they might make me look like Mr Bean but at least I have no fear of being harried by Operation Yew Tree. I should cut some sandwiches to save me from having to spend a fiver odd on one in the overpriced café but I should really skip lunch altogether in the spirit of dieting, especially as I am going to the football later and will mostly likely have a highly calorific burger. I'll take my own bottle of tap water though, I'm not getting stung for £1.50 buying a bottle of spring water at Harvington Hall. Watch the pennies and all that.

There's far less than a quarter of a tank of petrol in the car, should I stop and refuel or will that be enough? I'm later starting out than I wanted to be, so I think that I will risk it and I can use it during my date tomorrow as another example that I live life on the edge. Look, there's a Tesco Express. I'm famished, sod it I'm going to stop and get a sandwich, I'll just go for one of those tasteless low calorie ones, it is not even like eating really. That should do the job, Tesco Light Choice prawn mayonnaise. But wait, there is a discounted BLT there which is considerably cheaper. I can have a sandwich I want for well under a pound or one I don't particularly desire for nearly a quid more. It's got to be the BLT, sorry waistline, I'll just have to forego cheese on my burger later. Even when I resolutely start out with good intentions things often go pear shaped, which is exactly the way my body shape will end up if I don't change my dietary habits.

£8.50 seems a bit steep for entry to the Hall but I am here now so I might as well bite the bullet and pay it and it does include a free guided tour. But I can't be bothered with the tour as I have ostensibly come here to get away from other people. The well signposted set route round the house appeals to my logical and organised Virgo nature, not that I believe in astrology, I think people of my generation were put off it for life in the 1980's by Russell Grant and his ridiculously garish sweaters.

From Harvington Hall: hog slaughter
(there must have been a more humane
and efficient method than tw*tting the 
poor hog on the head with a large mallet), 
by request of Toby In-Tents. 
I'm in the third room of the house, taking my time looking at the artefacts and reading all of the interesting information, and other than the cashier on the way in I have not come across another human being, this is brilliant, almost like a private viewing of the house. What's that horrid noise? Oh no, it's the bellowing voice of the tour guide and the sound of the collected feet of his brethren on the wooden floor and they are moving menacingly towards me. I have been so engrossed that the tour has almost caught me up. Now I am going to have to rush to get away from them and move on before they get to this room, which I have barely surveyed and it is the brewery as well. This is like some bizarre fox hunt and I am the vulnerable fox, ready to to be ripped apart and devoured. Well, we are in the countryside I suppose and that is exactly the kind of thing they like to get up to. Take a deep breath, have a sip of water and calm down, they are only people. Oh, sh*t I have ran out of water, I'm going to have to fork out for a bottle in the café now anyway as one must remember that dehydration is a soldier’s worst enemy and life of course is one long battle. If you enter a café at an historic house as a minimum you have to buy a cup of tea and a buttered scone otherwise the cashier takes a dim view and condemns you as a cheapskate with a look of disapproving derision.

I am valiantly trying to stay away from the pub but reminders of the Pirate seem to be everywhere. In a room called Mr. Dodd's Library I hazarded across a book entitled The Pirate by Sir Walter Scott and now in the very next room a portrait of a person who looks uncannily like the Pirate is inescapably starring at me; I can't evade The Pirate even when I try to. In a room called the Nursery (named as such for obvious reasons) there is a Tudor contraption that was used to force babies to walk but it looks more like an implement of torture. The child was put into a seat with their legs dangling and they could walk along a confined walkway of about three feet, supported as they go. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pirate's forebears worked in the Nursery in the house in Tudor times and that they devised the invention so that they could wedge babies into it, before sneaking off to the brewery to get sozzled on mead.
Harvington Hall: The Brewery


Café time. The waitress has told me to sit down and she will come over and serve me. There's only one free table as the room is packed with tea-supping coffin dodgers and they are all gawking at me. I feel more like a hunted fox than ever. I need to get out of here, I'm going to take my tray of refreshments outside to the deserted garden. The good news is that the water was only £1.20 but what I saved on the water I lost on the scone. It has suddenly become infeasibly windy but there is no turning back now. The scone is enormous and I know if I eat it I shouldn't have a burger later. But I can't not eat it, given how much I paid for the damn thing. And the final indignity is that my cup is half full and the coffee is only lukewarm. But I can't raise the enthusiasm to take the drink back as frankly I just want to get out of here as quickly as I can and anyway complaining simply isn't the British way, we'll leave that to the brash Americans.

There is something extremely comforting about the voice of Dr Mark Porter on BBC Radio 4's Inside Health on the car stereo as I drive homeward. If I uncharacteristically push the car to the speed limit I might just have time before going to the football to hear the even more comforting sound of a pint being poured in the Flagon & Gorses.

© Dominic Horton, August 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment