Sunday 7 September 2014

Lowlife 86 – A Barber Shop Quartet

A Barber Shop Quartet

By Dominic Horton

On Tuesday I asked myself the question, “what does a person have to do to get a haircut in Halesowen?” When I worked in Birmingham city centre I used to get my haircut at a barber's shop close to the office but far enough away from the city centre inner circle to not charge an arm and a leg for a snip. The barbers there always did a more than satisfying job but when the owner cut my hair I often felt a little uncomfortable in the chair as there was always a mild undercurrent of racism in the conversation, talk of immigrants, that type of thing, but nothing overt enough to warrant a direct challenge. And besides, getting into a confrontation with the bloke cutting your barnet is never a wise idea as if you are not careful you could end up with a haircut that is worse than Boris Johnson's, which is a 'mare for a Mayor, if you will.

The London Mayor Boris Johnson having a bad hair day, as usual.
I ventured out first thing Tuesday morning assuming the barbers shops in Halesowen would be quiet at that time of day but I couldn't be more wrong. The first barbers I went to was full with waiting customers and I have not got the patience to sit and listen to the drivel that is usually talked in a barber shop so I moved on to the next one, which turned out to be equally busy. In barber shop number three there were only two people waiting, so I sat down to peruse the only reading matter, being the Halesowen Chronicle, which for a free newspaper is is vastly over priced. I didn't have a lot of faith in the barber, who seemed to be barely out of his teens and surly in nature but I thought I would risk it and give him a try. If the haircut turned out to be a disaster I could always revert to the fall back position of having my head shaved, which is a damage limitation option generally not favoured by women, other than Sinead O'Connor.

Patricia Routledge as Hetty Wainthropp,
poking her nose into other people's business.
A young child was in the barber's chair and he was not taken with the idea of having a haircut and resultantly he screamed the place down and repeatedly shouted to his mother, who stood next to him holding his hand, “Mom, he's hurting me!”, which was not the case in the slightest. The mother adopted a policy with the child that is softer than the government's stance on executive bankers' bonuses as she comforted him and said, “never mind dear it will soon be over my love and you can have some sweets.” The mother must have mistakenly thought that her son was having a tooth extracted without an anaesthetic. It was the barber who deserved the confectionery for his patience, especially as he lost my custom because after five minutes I could put up with the commotion no longer and fled the shop for a bit of peace and quiet.

Eventually at barbers number four, which was not busy, I finally received a hair cut and the lady barber did a thoroughly decent job too. But the experience was not without difficulty as I had to sit interminably through the barber's incessant psycho babble, which she delivered at such a pace that I was amazed that she managed to breathe. She periodically paused to conversationally ask me something but before I could articulate the answer to her question she had once more launched herself into her machine gun of words. I have to say that I do admire people who can talk inconsequential prattle at great length by effectively verbalising the stream of consciousness in their heads and it is a desirable quality for a barber to possess. After all, there is only one thing worse than suffering a lingual battery from a barber and that is having your haircut in an awkward silence.

Freshly clipped, my next task for the day was to undertake a bit of amateur detective work, Hetty Wainthropp style. The preceding Friday I was in the big city on a rare excursion from the Flagon with the Pirate, Harry Stottle, the Coarse Whisperer and Neddy La Chouffe when I bumped into an acquaintance’s ex-girlfriend in the pub. We got chatting and after a while it was established that we are both singletons so I asked her out for a drink and she seemed keenly receptive to the idea. I wrote down my mobile telephone number on a scrap of paper forgetting that I had my card in my wallet containing my contact details. I fully expected to receive a text message from the lady in question in the near future but after a day no such message was forthcoming. I then convinced myself that I had written down my telephone number either incorrectly or illegibly; my handwriting is not great at the best of times and we had drunk a few by the time I scrawled my number down.

Rudy Youngblood as Jaguar Paw in the Mel Gibson
 film Apocalypto, by request of Toby In-Tents.
I decided that I must post my correct phone number to the lady to put the matter beyond doubt but although I know the street that she lives on I did not know her house number or even her surname. After investigation I discovered her surname and after providing her details to the information bureau that is Willy Mantitt a house number was produced. As I drove to her house I had sudden reservations about the exercise thinking that it was a bit stalker-ish and I remembered that there are now specific laws regarding such matters. But I decided that I had nothing to lose (except my liberty and my dignity I suppose) so I proceeded with the mission.

Being a Tuesday daytime I thought that she would not be in so I could secretly slip the envelope through her door without a hiccup, which turned out to be the case. Satisfied at my work I sat back and waited for her text message to come through. And waited. And waited some more. But I had no such luck. Clearly the lady had no intention of meeting me for a drink in the first place and the scrap of paper with my number on it probably ended up with the empty crisp packets and fag ends in the pub's rubbish bin. So unlike Hetty Wainthropp's cases there was no happy ending to this one. There was no happy ending either for poor 82 year old Palmira Silva of Edmonton this week as she was brutally murdered by a barbaric assailant who savagely beheaded her in her own back garden, which was a dreadful business all round.
Michael Caine as Lieutenant
Gonville Bromhead in 
Zulu.

I'm not too sure about the current fad of lobbing people's heads off. It all seems a bit barbaric and medieval to me. The head is a useful thing and without it there are all sorts of activities one cannot do; you would struggle to go for a pint in the Flagon & Gorses for a start.  I know the Mayans of old were partial to the odd beheading (as depicted in Mel Gibson's wonderful but harrowing film Apocalypto) but it is something us modern day Britons have generally grown out of so we now take a dim view of it.   When I heard reports of someone being headless in Islington I thought the Flagon's landlord, the Pirate, had lost the plot again [for non-Flagoners, the road up the side of the Flagon is called Islington - I am aware that gags lose their shine if you have to explain them, especially when the gag is a weak one in the first place.]   Talking of the Pirate he has temporarily defected to Belgium for the weekend with Windy McDisco and the RAT's beer supping crew on a junket which will involve quaffing hearty strength beer, eating savoury food stuffs, upsetting the locals and farting.  No change there then, as that is exactly what he generally does in the Flagon & Gorses. 


The Zulu warrior tribe are often thought of as being barbaric too but they were a highly organised and efficient army of trained, professional soldiers. Alexander Sutcliffe and I learnt this on Thursday, the occasion of my 43rd birthday, at an entertaining and informative talk entitled The Anglo Zulu War of 1879 by Max Keen at Dudley Archive Centre. As you can see, as far as birthday celebrations are concerned I certainly know how to rock. Keen has the look of Ken Dodd and he bought his talk to life with the same energetic verve of his look-a-like, so he had all attendees in thrall and it only cost £1.50, effectively the price of half a pint of best bitter.

The talk didn't drag on too long and Keen quickly put an end to the questions from coffin dodgers in the audience, so there was still plenty of time to enjoy a trip to the Flagon & Gorses, which no birthday would be complete without, so in the end I am glad to report that I got my happy ending after all.

© Dominic Horton, September 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment