Thursday 7 August 2014

Lowlife 82 - A Herculean Effort

A Herculean Effort

By Dominic Horton

School holidays, a rainy day. The cinema it was then for my son Kenteke and I and his friend Smiley Nially to watch the action adventure film Hercules. I gave Kenteke a tenner and told him to go and get popcorn and pop for him and Smiley and some H2o for me and I'll sort out the tickets. I didn't expect a bank note in the change from the Aryton Senna but I at least expected a few nuggets of gold. The lad dolefully doling out the tickets couldn't have been any older than twenty but he was losing his hair and had a comb over. It's wasn't a traditional Ralph Coates job, it was a bit more carefully sculptured but it was a comb over nonetheless.

Ralph Coates, by request of Toby In-Tents
It's one thing losing the battle against baldness in your 30's or 40's when you care about it less, or not at all, but having a desert of bare flesh in the middle of your barnet at such a tender age is a bit cruel to say the least. And he was no looker either. My crony the Frymaster General told me that he likes being bald as he just shaves off the remaining bits of hair so he doesn't need to bother combing or washing it or any of that malarkey. And with the Frymaster being the way he is I wholeheartedly believe him and he lives in Stoke-on-Trent anyway and they are not big on vanity or fashion in the Potteries.

I took a twenty spot out of my wallet to pay for the tickets but I was disappointed, but not surprised, to find out that the twenty didn't cover the bill which was over twenty one quid, which I thought was a bit of a liberty as two of our trio were kids. Then Kenteke ran over to me waving the tenner saying that he needs another two quid for the popcorn and drinks. Thinking this must be wrong I march over to the snacks counter. Bless the kids they'd only ordered small drinks and popcorn but the bill turned out to be right. I joked to the young cashier that you need a second mortgage to go to the cinema these days, which was a lazy and time-worn comment on my part, but in my defence I was in throes of shock. The cashier didn't crack her face at my quip but looked at me with disdain as if to say, “Look mate don't blame me, I am not profiting from this extortion as they only pay me the minimum wage, it's not a workers' co-operative you know.”

To the film. The house was virtually empty which suited me as the rustling of sweet wrappers was kept to a minimum and it was not too clammy with body heat, which was good as if the truth be known I was still suffering from the after effects of the impromptu cocktail evening in the Flagon & Gorses two days earlier, when I got involved in drinking the improbable but winning mix of Cherry B and stout. There was plenty of body heat in the film though, which starred Dwayne Johnson, better known as the Rock, an almost superhuman man of rippling muscle and testosterone and at 42 years old he's the same age as me. If Johnson is the Rock that makes me the Bibble (for readers not from the Black Country a bibble is a pebble or a rounded stone. Yes I know a gag loses effect when you have to explain it but what am I to do?)

Hercules had to complete twelve labours, a dozen difficult tasks, in order to be granted immortality by the Gods. The labours included tasks such as slaying the monstrous nine-headed Lernaen Hydra and capturing the maundering and terrifying Cretan Bull. The ease with which the indestructible Hercules completed the tasks means that if he was ever to appear on I'm a Greek Demi-God get me Out of Here he would undoubtedly win it at a canter. All that said, one of the assignments that the Gods prescribed was to steal the apples of Hesperides; if the simple act of scrumping offers the key to immortality then every youth from my Shell Corner childhood will live forever. Which will at least please the landlord of the Clock Inn.
Cherry B

But the Gods did not lay down a really challenging test to Hercules such as having to spend the day looking after two lively kids trying not to sh*t oneself having eaten too many jalapeños the night before after the pub. Or painting fiddly pipework in my Codger Mansions bathroom (which is eerie and strangely cold on account of a grisly suicide conducted there many years ago) whilst suffering from the filthy post-booze terrors.

As his final and most arduous test the Gods should have made Hercules attend and endure a whole season of Aston Villa home games, which would have most likely been too much for the poor lad. The great Hercules would have stared down into his bovril at half-time Vs Crystal Palace on a freezing January day, Villa losing 3-0 and down to ten men, and proclaimed, “Sod immortality, I want to die. Now.”

All the heroes in action films such as Hercules are lionhearted warriors that officially have no fear. As regular readers of Lowlife will know, I have plenty of fear as I am a sufferer of anxiety disorder so most days I am afraid of my own shadow. Hercules should trying having to brave the terrors of Tesco Express to buy a loaf on a particularly nervy and anxious day when the chatty cashier with the screw loose is lurking behind the till. Such a daunting undertaking takes real gallantry, I can tell you. I know that action films are merely fantasy but they would give a more balanced view of life if they included less warriors and more worriers.

So what else has been going in the weeks that The Seadog's Magic Winkle saga has dragged on in these pages? Alexander Sutcliffe and I embarked on a foreboding journey to England's frantic capital to undertake a long overdue inspection of Lowlife's London office, which is manned by the blithesome Barty Hook. Hook explained that on the Sunday of our arrival that he would be working until 1900 hours but we landed in London at lunchtime so we could partake in our usual sacred Sabbath activity of beer worship in the pub. Hook instructed us to drop off our bags in his flat once we got there and we were greeted by his new Italian girlfriend Angelica, who turned out to be delightfulness personified in every way.

Hercules, as portrayed by Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson
After a quick drink Angelica offered to show us around the locality. We chatted as we ambled down the road at Angelica's leisurely Mediterranean pace but Sutcliffe and I were like springed coils, keen to get to the boozer. The first pub we came across happened to be a Fullers' house so I told Angelica that Sutcliffe and I were going in there and although we invited her for a drink she had things to do, so she bade us farewell.

Many hours later Barty pitched up with Angelica in tow and we were in the very same pub where she had left us. Angelica asked us what we had been up to for the last few hours and I stated that we had sat in pubs all afternoon drinking. She looked at Barty in disbelief as she thought we were kidding but he confirmed that is exactly what we had done. A puzzled Angelica explained that sitting in a pub all day drinking beer is foreign to Italian culture, where a couple of hours in a bar might be taken up by playing chess and drinking espressos. “Don't you get bored just drinking beer for hours on end?” Angelica asked. Now it was the turn of Sutcliffe and I to look baffled as in our world supping pints in a boozer all day is premium fun and the antithesis of the state of boredom.
A Bibble

The follow day Barty took us into central London where we had to tolerate the frenetic crowds, extreme heat and pollution infused humidity. After hot trotting past Westminster Palace and the Cenotaph we stopped for a relaxant in the first pub we came to, again a Fullers' house. That set the tone for the day and thereafter we crawled around various boozers, most of which were agreeable. While we were in a pub called the Spanish bar in the evening Barty took a call from Angelica and he explained under questioning that we were in London central. “Oh good, you've taken them sightseeing” Angelica enthused. “No, not exactly” replied Barty, “we have spent all of the day in boozers.” If we lived in the Med we might have gone to a café and sipped cold coffee whilst moving rooks and bishops and the like around a chequered board. But as we are English we stuck to a tried and tested winning formula and to drag ourselves away from the pub would have taken a Herculean effort.

© Dominic Horton, August 2014.
* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com..

No comments:

Post a Comment