Friday 1 August 2014

Lowlife 81 – The Seadog's Magic Winkle - Part 4

The Seadog's Magic Winkle - Part 4

By Dominic Horton

In the last three episodes of Lowlife I have illuminated you about the secret, inner life of working in a petrol station (called PMG Forecourts) in the West Midlands when I was a teenager in the 1980's. This week the story concludes ...............

On Saturdays in the summertime I would start work at 0700 hours and work right through until the place shut at 2100 hours, so it was a long and tedious old day. The Seadog used to work until 1130 hours (oddly) for a bit of overtime and after that a part-timer would replace him for the duration of the shift. So after the Seadog had toddled off home I was in charge and it was a case of 'what I say goes' but I was never dictatorial or Draconian in my approach to the part-time staff, on the contrary, I adopted a very laissez faire philosophy, or to put it more crudely I didn't give a fiddler's fart. My relaxed attitude meant that the part-time staff were content to work with me and as they are all of a similar age to me, friendships developed with all of them that have lasted to this day, nearly a quarter of a century later.

A picnic set, not dissimilar to the one I describe in this edition.
On Saturdays my partner in crime was Still-in-Fjord, who was a bit alternative in appearance at the time and he sported peroxide blond hair that was long on one side and shaved on the other. It soon became clear that Still-in-Fjord was not exactly a stickler for the rules and regulations of PMG Forecourts so in order to facilitate the passage of the long hours in a more convivial fashion I suggested that a little drinkie poops might be a good idea. Still-in-Fjord had no objections to my proposal so he set off up the road to purchase some tinnies from Global Wines, which was close to his parents' house.

As I was not totally reckless and oblivious to my responsibilities as a Forecourt Cashier I suggested that we stick to a beer that is not too strong so we opted for Tennent's Talon Lager, which only weighted in at a negligible 2% ABV. Still-in-Fjord decided to buy a crate of Talon to give us an ample stock of the stuff but as he sauntered back to the forecourt with the slab resting on his shoulder he bumped into his Mother, who queried what he was doing with a crate of beer when he was supposed to be at work. “Oh, it's not for me Mom, it's for Dom who I work with,” Still-in-Fjord's hastily blurted out, which must have created a shoddy impression of me to his Mother, which has most likely endured over the years. First impressions and all that.

A can of Aston Manor lager
 by request of Toby In-Tents.
The Talon lager was so insubstantial in terms of alcohol content that we were only effectively drinking it for moral worth as it was impossible to drink enough of the stuff to even get tipsy, as after a few cans it would make you so bloated that it was impossible to force any more of the insipid liquid down your gullet. A switch in drinking tactics was needed and quick. The failure of the Talon experiment lead to me panicking and devising a stratagem, which in hindsight was frankly ridiculous. The following Saturday I asked Still-in-Fjord to get eight cans of Guinness and a bottle of Bulgarian Country Wine, which I knew was the cheapest bottle in stock at the off licence and it tasted even worse that the price alluded to. For reasons that I cannot begin to explain my judgement was that clouded that I decided to mix the Guinness with the bottle of wine to form a kind of dark and unappetising punch.

The punch packed a far greater punch than the Talon lager so on that basis alone we deemed it a success and it started a routine that we adopted for the Saturdays to follow. We used to mix the punch in the picnic set, which was an item of stock that was for sale in the shop. The plates and cups etc. that constituted the set were housed in a large plastic container that was ideal (or at least adequate) as a punch bowl. But the picnic set had other more conventional uses as we used it when we treated ourselves to a Chinese takeaway. We would clean the set after use and put it back on the shelf in the shop but over time its condition deteriorated and it became worn and dog eared. The picnic set would also usually contain encrusted remnants of Singapore Chow Mein as we didn't employ a high level of diligence when washing up the plates. We didn't even have any washing up liquid.

One day the unthinkable happened and a customer actually wanted to purchase the picnic set. Realising the dilapidated state of the product and it's strategic importance to ongoing operations at the forecourt I tried in vain to discourage the punter from purchasing it, stating that he could pick one up for half of the price at B&Q down the road. Sorry, I meant he was adamant, and he bought the set and as we had no other suitable vessel to use the days of the vile but potent stout and vino punch were at an end. After that we switched to just drinking the cheap red wine as it came.

One day I got wind of the fact that the Seadog had found out that we had been drinking on site and that he was displeased about the matter. I was not looking forward to seeing the Seadog on the Sunday, when we were to work together for the day, as I thought I was in for the chop. The Seadog confronted me about the drinking rumour and I thought that there was no point in denying it so I admitted that it was true. The Seadog let me know his thoughts in no uncertain terms: “We have worked all these hours together and you have never once mentioned anything about boozing. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed.” I thought the Seadog's next words would be the punchline of me getting the sack, but he continued, “We have wasted all these Sundays together not drinking, if only you had suggested it earlier. Pop up the offie will you and get three litres of Aston Manor lager and three litres of their bitter as well. That should keep us going until closing time.” So thereafter every Sunday the Seadog and I grimaced our way through bottles of the cheap and less than delectable Aston Manor beer in the name of leisure.

The site where PMG Forecourts used to be as it is now
 (the petrol station was housed in the building on the right).
Once the football season started I didn't want to work Saturdays as I wanted to play my part in destroying the beautiful game on the playing fields of the West Midlands and bordering counties. To start with the Seadog used to cover my Saturday shifts but a message came from Head Office stating that I had to work them if I wanted to stay in the job as they didn't want to incur the expense of paying the Seadog overtime. I still steadfastly refused Saturday shifts so word came through that the besuited big boss Walker had been despatched from Head Office to have a meeting with me. This was most irregular as we didn't have meetings at PMG as we just used to go about our business. There is a lot to be said for just getting on with things and to my mind a lot of workplaces would benefit from banning meetings altogether.

Walker seemed nervous and he treated me with kid gloves and in the back room he explained to me in soft tones that unless I agreed to work Saturdays they would regrettably have to “let me go.” “Fine” I replied. A surprised and relieved Walker said, “Oh, you have taken that better than I expected, I thought that you would hit me” which I found mildly insulting being a devout pacifist. I was paid two weeks wages and my tenure at PMG was at an abrupt but relatively dignified end. Walker explained that they were not obliged to pay me anything as I had refused to work my contracted hours but the payment was a goodwill gesture for being a decent employee. If only he had known the half of it.

Because of an increasing lack of custom the petrol station itself didn't last too long after I left and it shut down for good. They kept the Seadog on for a week after closure for him to tie up loose ends so I popped to see him to pay my respects. I found him sitting dolefully on his stool smoking a fag like Hitler in his bunker waiting for Berlin to fall.

I stayed in touch with the Seadog for quite a while and we would occasionally go for a pint but eventually we lost contact. A couple of Christmases ago I decided to try and re-establish connection with the Seadog so I visited his house. I rang the doorbell and through the frosted glass in the front door I saw a child bolt up the stairs but no one answered the door, so I surmised that the kid was home alone and that as the Seadog has no young children he must have moved house. There is no chance of tracking the Seadog down on Facebook as he is not the type to use social media so I am left to hope and dream that he has returned to his beloved Lyme Bay to sail the high seas once again.

© Dominic Horton, July 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment