Sunday 24 August 2014

Lowlife 84 – The High Life

The High Life

By Dominic Horton

This week Lowlife uncharacteristically had a bit of the high life as my dear son Kenteke and I had a short break in a four star hotel in Nottingham after I secured a more than favourable deal on lastminute.com. As the name of the website suggests the holiday was a bit of an off the cuff affair which is unusual for me as being a worrier spontaneousness is not something that I usually get involved in. That said I do sometimes order a picked egg in the Flagon & Gorses on a whim if the mood takes me. I am normally overly cautious, so I surprised myself (and all of my work colleagues) a great deal recently when I took voluntary redundancy.

Kenteke on the beach at Old Market Square, Nottingham.
It was all a bit eleventh hour as applications for VR had to be in at 1700 hours on deadline day and come 1645 hours my mind was not 100% made up. I decided to toss a coin, heads I leave, tails I stay in the job. But then I thought, “what happens if the coin lands on tails, how will I feel?” I would feel crushed I thought, so that was that and I applied for VR and luckily they couldn't wait to get rid of me. It was no secret that Mex had applied for VR as he had told everyone, but I had not disclosed my application to a soul other than Mex. On the day the bank told Mex and I that we could naff off he gathered our departmental colleges around and told them that he was off into the sunset. Then I took great delight in informing the gathering, “and I am off too.” There was a bit of nervous laughter before everyone realised that I was being serious. All hands congratulated the Mex and I while privately thinking, “b*ollocks, there was only ten in the department to start with so now we are down to eight we are going to have to work like navvies.”

When I worked for the bank they once dispatched me on a mission to a branch in Nottingham but on arrival in the city on Monday I found that the branch in Old Market Square is now a pub, imaginatively named The Bank but we didn't go in the place as it is a bit like a JD Wetherspoon's house but with more expensive prices. But Old Market Square had other treasures on offer and we hunted for them in the fairground Pirate ship, which is a contraption of torture that swings violently from stern to bow, high into the air, so you end up looking directly down at the ground. It was an awful experience. It was not the kind of activity for a queasy stomached drinker to partake in and on more than one occasion when we were high in the air I felt decidedly bilious and thought that I was going to vomit on my fellow shipmates directly below me at the bow end. Fortunately my lunch stayed where it was meant to be and it was a great relief when the horrors of the ride were over and I could return to dry land.

We got off the ship and went to the beach. Nottingham City Council have deposited 250 tonnes of sand on Old Market Square to make a beach for the kiddies to play on. Kenteke took great delight in spending the afternoon building sand castles and making streams and tunnels in the sand while I sat on a deck chair reading The Good Beer Guide to research where to go for tea (or dinner if you prefer). I was enjoying things so much that I didn't even sneak off to the beach bar for a livener. Going somewhere to eat with Kenteke would at least give me the opportunity to undertake a reconnaissance mission to one of the city's decent boozers.
The Clock Inn, Shell Corner, by request of Toby In-Tents. 

But Kenteke had other ideas as he spotted a Pizza Express on the way back to the hotel and he wanted to go there but I studied the menu outside and thought it was a bit pricey, especially as beer-wise they only sold bottled Peroni lager which was ludicrously priced at effectively £6.60 a pint. But then I remembered that the Codger had given me a voucher for Pizza Express, buy one main meal get one free. Given that I used to scrutinise the minutiae of legal documents in my previous profession I have a habit of reading all terms and conditions and the small print on vouchers to avoid them being rejected come payment time and the voucher in question seemed to be watertight, all we had to do was avoid ordering calzone and we were quids in. But when the bill arrived and I presented the voucher the waiter said, “you can only used this voucher in September mate.” I queried this and asked where it said that in the small print. The waiter pointed to the top of the voucher where it read in large font “SEPTEMBER OFFER.” The devil is not always in the detail.

Ronan the Accuser, from the film Guardians of the Galaxy
I have long contended that the attention spans of people have generally significantly decreased in the last twenty odd years and this was in evidence when we went on a fascinating guided tour of the tunnels under Nottingham Castle. After ten minutes I looked around at the others on the tour and I realised that I was the only person actually listening to the interesting stories and facts being orated by the tour guide. I felt a bit sorry for the bloke, especially as he had a kindly countenance and was probably working for nothing as a volunteer. Some of the people were even rude enough to be playing on their mobile telephones.

The guide told a wonderful but grisly story of the execution of the traitor Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, by Edward II and his body being taken through the tunnels. Later I bumped into the guide in the gents and he told me that historians have now disproved the story but he has left it in the tour as it is a good yarn. This made me question all of what the guide told me on the tour; you can tell people any old b*llocks and they will believe it, as is proved on a daily basis by readers of the tabloid newspapers.

Despite the reduction in the populous' concentration spans people are still able to sit through throw away, unchallenging Hollywood movies as I discovered when Kenteke and I went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy at Nottingham Cineworld. Despite the film being ostensibly a kid's movie Kenteke was the only kid proper that I could see in the packed auditorium and it partly answers a question much asked in the Flagon & Gorses – if young adults of today no longer go to pubs what do they do in their spare time? They are all in Cineworld Nottingham and similar places sporting silly beards (not the ladies) and drinking latte coffee.
A dreaded fairground Pirate Ship

Kenteke enjoyed the picture and I had a power nap, waking up just in time to see the action packed conclusion to the film. I awoke to see the evil Ronan the Accuser telling anyone who cared to listen what a powerful fiend he was and that he was going to rule the galaxy whether they liked it or not. Ronan was dressed in a Darth Vader type get up and he had black make up all over his face which was badly applied in the fashion of an old transvestite lush. It struck me that baddies are more often than not poorly dressed but just because you are evil there is no reason why you can't dress stylishly in say a decent sports jacket, a well cut shirt and chinos and a dapper pair of brogues. They would all have to be black of course as that is the colour of choice of baddies but that might lead to confusion as the viewers might think that the character is in fact Johnny Cash, who was generally seen as a goodie, especially after he found God and laid off the amphetamines. There is always exceptions to the rule of course and despite their dreadful fascist ideology it has to be said that rakish Nazi officers did rather cut a dash in their flashy uniforms. But it is better to be a poorly dressed goodie than a dashing baddie I suppose.

It was back to the lowlife on Saturday drinking with Tom Holliday, El Pistolero and the Woodcutter in the earthy Clock Inn on Shell Corner where they served us Scotch in half pint Carling Black Label glasses and the pick of the cuisine on offer was packets of Golden Cross Spicy Rings. It is pleasant to get away for a while but it is equally good to return to the reassuring surroundings of home.

© Dominic Horton, August 2014.
* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment