Friday 3 July 2015

Lowlife 125 – In the Wee Small Hours

In the Wee Small Hours

By Dominic Horton

Without wishing to sound like a raving hypochondriac I seem to be having a rather poor run of health at the moment: aside from the usual incumbents of anxiety disorder and hay fever I am under the physiotherapist for my back, I have the dreaded dizzy-wobbles – otherwise known as labyrinthitis – and I even have a touch of the old Chalfonts. When the government recommended that you have at least five a day I suspect that they were not referring to ailments. I did have an odd sensation the other day though when I was sitting in the garden: I felt relaxed. Suffering from anxiety disorder as I do alarm bells start to ring when I feel relaxed and I felt suspicious as to why I was in such a foreign state. True, I was sitting in the sun having a pleasant time with the lovely Babushka but I normally feel fearful to one degree or another in all and any circumstances. My suspicions turned out to be justified as I had been unwittingly drugged with a medication that is used to counter the jitters.

Pat Jennings, by request of Toby In-Tents.
I had taken the medication stemetil, as prescribed by my GP, which is supposed to soften the effect of dizziness, and being a nurse Babushka followed her second nature and looked the drug up and found that it is indeed used to treat dizziness and vertigo but also mania and bi-polar disorder, mood disorders, nausea and vomiting, schizophrenia and psychosis and anxiety. I purposefully have always resisted taking drugs for my anxiety disorder (always pushing my GP for talking treatments when needed) only for them now to get in through the back door.

Later that evening after the meds wore off I was back to my old anxious self and I was grappling with Mr Insomnia in the wee small hours and Mr I was winning. To pass the time I was having a debate with myself as to which is worse: sleeplessness or nightmares. It was like a Nicky Campbell phone-in. Just without Nicky Campbell, the callers and any telephones. I concluded that nightmares are favourable to insomnia as at least once the nightmare episode has finished and the end credits have gone up you can tell yourself that it is only a dream and not reality and get back to sleep.

Later - after a tea break and a read of the newspaper for an hour – my wishes were to come true as when I finally nodded off at dawn I quickly had a nightmare, which oddly consisted of me being menaced by the legendary goal keeper Pat Jennings. In real life Jennings is a mild mannered and softly spoken Ulsterman, so he was badly cast in his role as tormentor in the nightmare.

I did wonder where the phantasm was (who usually haunts my dreams) and why he didn't make an appearance but given the time of year he is probably off sunning himself somewhere and terrorising sleeping holiday makers in the night to keep his hand in. Even nightmare inhabiting ghouls such as the phantasm have the right to a holiday and I hope his union have secured a decent pension for him, private healthcare and reasonable sick pay. Given the amount of times he visits me if nothing else the phantasm is a hard worker so I'm glad he's recharging his batteries, especially as it has given me the chance to meet Pat Jennings, a childhood hero, even if it wasn't in the most pleasant of circumstances.
A collapsible donkey toy.

The dizzy-wobbles meant that I hadn't ventured up the Flagon & Gorses all week but last night I reached crisis point and despite having a giddy spell I scaled Furnace Hill and headed to the pub. It is hard to describe labyrinthitis but it is like your backbone has been removed – literally not metaphorically – so you feel like a rag doll or like one of those old collapsing donkey toy puppets who's had his button pressed. It is not only a case of feeling dizzy though, when I have a spell I am also overcome with tiredness and it plays havoc with my cognitive functions, which struggle at the best of times. A packet of Cheddars (not Mini-Cheddars but the full monty version) that I bought for Neddy La Chouffe felt banana shaped in my hand – these are the kind of tricks that labyrinthitis can play on you. It also gives me a bit of dyslexia – a sign saying “no fires” in the park became “no fries” and in Halesowen town centre a fella's t-shirt that read, “I rapid rafting” became “I rapid farting.”

The sun was out as I walked up Furnace Hill and it was on the face of it a pleasant evening but my dizzy-wobbles meant that there was a latent unrest in the air and I was ill at ease. I felt like I was going to fall over, bump into a lamp post or wander into the road, though experience of the condition told me that in actuality I wasn't going to do any of these things. Walking home from the pub might be a different matter. Everything seemed threatening and daunting. Even the pretty flowers were b*stards. I ploughed on and got to Earl's roundabout but the flowers on it looked wonderful not malevolent, a sea of dynamic poppies. I think that the success of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance is due to its vibrant, bold, life-affirming quality being paradoxical to the dark, sorrowful grief of mourning lost soldiers.

Poppies on Earl's Roundabout, Halesowen
In the Flagon & Gorses nothing much had changed in the time since I last visited - the scotch eggs have sold out; some of the spirits have been moved from one shelf to another; fish and chips have been added to the menu; Richie Ramone has put up a small plaque in Tom Corneronly's corner. In pub life the minutiae matters, it keeps the interest, it helps the soothing stream of booze to flow along gently. As the Flagon's regular inmates sit around waiting for something to happen every detail is significant, eventful. The significant event of my week (other than having a job interview at The Heritage Lottery Fund and having an MRI scan on my back conducted by a stern German radiologist) was the father's race at my dear son Kenteke's sports day at school.

Last year there was prejudicially only a mom's race and not a dad's, so I wasn't expecting to compete and I was glad not to anyway given my dizzy-wobbles. But the sports teacher announced that it was time for the father's race and Kenteke was insistent that I partake. Five dads, including me, stepped forward leaving one spare lane on the race track. I looked around at the other competitors and decided, notwithstanding my giddiness, that I fancied my chances. Then, at the eleventh hour, an enthusiastic young teacher stepped forward to fill the spare lane next to me, a lad in his mid-20's at a push. Given his youthfulness the teacher was rank favourite, so now my heckles were up and my old sportsman's instincts took over and under no circumstances did I want to be beat.

My shiny "1st" Sticker.
It was not a straight sprint as each competitor had to pick up three bean bags, which were set away from the start line in intervals, and return them individually to the start line before then making a fifty yard dash. I started well enough but then disaster, I slipped on my ars* and from that position I could see the teacher get away and the game seemed to be up but with a mixture of dogged determination and blind faith I chased him down and pipped him by a short head at the finishing line. A shiny “1st” sticker was slapped on me to declare me the winner. The adrenaline rush was wonderful and it reminded me as to why I played football for all of those years but the likes of Harry Gout will be quick to tell you that I rarely won any running races in my footballing days and if it was a test of pure pace between me and the centre forward the striker would usually win.

I had a price to pay for my victory though as my dizzy-wobbles went off the richter scale and the rest of the day was challenging as I had to struggle through getting prepared for my interview, which was the following day. If I am lucky enough to get the job at the Heritage Lottery Fund I will make it my urgent business to ensure that notable British sporting achievements are preserved for posterity, namely victorious fathers at primary school sports day races in Halesowen on Tuesday 30th June, 2015.

© Dominic Horton, July 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment