Thursday 25 June 2015

Lowlife 124 - I'm the Daddy

I'm the Daddy

By Dominic Horton

On Friday my dear son Kenteke invited me to his primary school for an event to celebrate Fathers' Day. I gladly accepted the invitation but I didn't know what the event consisted of and I didn't ask as usually the children put on a pleasant little show in the hall, lasting for half an hour or so, where they perform spoken word and sing songs. But when I turned up to the school, together with the dozen or so other dads in attendance, I was ushered up the stairs to the older children's classrooms. I entered classroom 6, Kenteke's class, but all of the others behind me piled into classroom 5, leaving me as the only father in Kenteke's class who had bothered to show up. So I sat there conspicuously, like a Western missionary in a pygmy settlement.

Steve McQueen in solitary confinement in Papillon.
The teacher addressed the class and informed us that we were going to do some painting, which was not the news that I wanted to hear as my artistic talent is minuscule to say the least; even if I attempt to draw stick men they look so hideous that they complain. The kids seemed a bit non-plussed too, I suppose making a mess with paint is exciting for five year olds but by the time children reach ten it is a bit old hat to them. After a few minutes a pupil's grandfather turned up to give me a bit of moral support but he made it clear he was having none of the painting lark before departing the scene as quickly as he had entered. If only I had such audacity.

The uncomfortable feeling that I had worsened when I turned around only to find the whole of the Tory cabinet staring down at me. There was a display of the Conservative party top brass on a cork board with photographs and pen pictures of each cabinet member. Directly adjacent to me I could see the loathsome features of Oliver Letwin and I kept catching his picture out of the corner of my eye, which made me progressively irascible as the morning wore on.

Letwin was predictably educated in the private schools of Hall School in Hampstead and Eton and Cambridge University, so he was never destined to be stuck for high brow employment. Being a job seeker myself I took heart from a sign on the wall that read, “no one can do everything but everyone can do something.” What my 'something' is I am not entirely sure at the moment but it is certainly not painting pictures.
George Foreman smiling .....................

My interest picked up when the teacher stated that we would be learning about the abstract artist Gillian Ayres and we would then paint a picture in her style. We were treated to a short presentation about the artist, which included a slide show of a number of Ayres's pieces, which were vibrant and colourful, not my thing at all. But then the last painting that we were shown took my eye, it consisted of blocks of black and white paint, with a little bit of brown thrown in, and it had an austere and bleak feel. Bingo – that was exactly the type of picture I wanted to paint. But when the teaching assistant put the paints on the table there was no black and white paint, only bold and bright blue, red, yellow, purple and pink. At primary school all of the melancholy bits are edited out.

The kids were implored by the teacher and her sidekick to not mix the paint or not even to get paint on the newspaper that covered the table. Why ever not? I like things to be tidy as much as the next person with mild obsessive compulsive disorder but let the kids get on with it and be messy and if they end up painting over the face of Oliver Letwin in the Daily Telegraph then all the better.

I finished my picture pretty quickly and was content with it, in a fashion, so I sat quietly and glanced around at all of the other kids' paintings. The teaching assistant shattered my peace as she was working her way around the tables, heading my way, instructing the children to “fill the page with colour, there should be no bits left un-painted!” so that the pictures would emulate those of Gillian Ayres. But I didn't want to cram my page with colour, I like open spaces, to give things room to breathe, and my anxiety levels rise at the thought of things being cluttered. And some of the kids might not want to paint the whole page too and their creativity should be left to find its own way. But being the coward that I am as the assistant approached I quickly picked up a paint brush and looked busy, without actually doing anything.

..................................George Foreman not smiling.
After an hour or so, I agreed with myself that I had done my stint and I said my goodbyes and headed for the door, leaving my painting behind to be consigned to the bin, where it belongs. As I walked across the car park I could barely believe my eyes – all of the year 5 pupils and their dads were not going through the rigours of abstract painting under the supervision of the Tory cabinet but were instead enjoying a game of football on the field in the sunshine. My first instinct was to tell the dads not to bother showing up next year as they'll be doing painting but I didn't see why they shouldn't suffer too. It then struck me that I wouldn't be coming to the school for much longer as Kenteke is leaving shortly as he is going to high school in the Autumn. I then had that funny feeling that I guess most parents have, that I want Kenteke to grow and thrive and progress but on the other hand I want him to remain as a primary school child forever. “They grow up so quickly” is probably the most used phrase in relation to children but there is no greater truism.

And the reality of Kenteke going to High School was brought home yesterday when I was at a parent's evening at his new school. All parents were ushered into the school hall for a talk by the headmaster – or more like head salesman, given the patter he used to “sell” the merits of the school to the parents – and his underlings. As all the parents have already signed their kids up with the school I wished the headmaster would have dispensed with the hard sell and just got on with the business of the evening but he couldn't help himself. More often than not salespeople still carry on with their selling spiel when they are off duty because what they are really trying to sell is not a product or a service but themselves.
Black & White Composition by Gillian Ayres, by request of 
Toby In-Tents.

The headmaster explained that when children leave the school they will have their “ticket”, meaning they will be prepared for life after high school education. I mused that “ticket” is an odd choice of word as if the Pirate, the landlord of the Flagon & Gorses, gives me my ticket it means that he is telling me, “you're barred son!”

Next we were corralled into a classroom to meet Kenteke's new teacher, Mr H, who when he smiles looks like George Foreman, the former world heavyweight champion who is now known for his fat reducing grills, which are like an executive version of the humble Breville. It was overbearingly hot in the classroom, there were no seats left and I am suffering from the dizzy wobbles at the moment, so overall it was not a comfortable experience. Mr H explained the school's discipline procedures and that bad behaviour is initially dealt with by a yellow and red card system. I thought what chaos such a system would have caused when I was at school – the teacher would have had to abandon the lesson due to too many dismissals. I hope that Kenteke's disciplinary record is similar to Gary Lineker's and not like Vinnie Jones's. Mr H went on to state that a red card could lead to the child being sent to isolation, a bit harsh treating the kids like Papillion  but if it works then fair enough.

After banging on for far too long Mr H asked if there were any questions. I prayed that no one put their hand up as I was sweating profusely and felt faint headed and I just wanted to leave. I looked around the room and there seemed to be a mutual understanding, no questions, it's too hot let's just get out of here and go to our respective homes and public houses. But then, after a brief teasing pause, while I was heading for the door up went a torturous hand. I hope that the first lesson they teach Kenteke in High School is, “there is a time to ask questions and there is a time to keep quiet.”

© Dominic Horton, June 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment