Tuesday 9 June 2015

Lowlife No 122 – Children, Animals & Laptops

Children, Animals & Laptops

By Dominic Horton

My quest to find gainful employment continues at a pace with varied success. I have received a steady flow of “thanks but no thanks” rejection emails regarding job applications and one was even cruelly headed, “Your Job Application – Shortlist” only to inform me in the body of the email that I had not made the shortlist. But at least those employers have had the courtesy to reply to me as the majority simply give you the cold shoulder after dispatching your CV into the dustbin. Or the electronic equivalent of the dustbin, whatever that is called. But a few days ago I at last had a breakthrough when a pleasant woman from the BBC called to inform me, to my delight, to invite me to an interview. After having a string of bothersome PPI and ambulance chaser sales calls I nearly didn't pick up the telephone as the number was unknown to me but a little voice inside my head must have implored me to take the call and I am glad that I did. There is no need to be concerned, if I am successful with the BBC interview I won't be starring at you on your television screen reading the news on Midlands Today like Alan Towers in days of old.

Alan Towers on Midlands Today.
The last time I had an interview was nearly two decades ago when I was offered a job with the bank that I was subsequently employed by for many's the moon until being made redundant last year. The interview was a bit of a sham as it only lasted fifteen minutes or so and I was only presented with a few gentle questions. I knew that the brevity of the interview meant that I had either definitely got the job or definitely not got it, but I did not know which one of the two outcomes would prevail. 

Job interviews, first dates and exams all often seem follow a set pattern – if you think you have done well you usually fail and if you think you have done badly you usually succeed. But the interview was so short that had I no time to succeed or fail so I was totally in the dark about the outcome. At the time there was a number of positions up for grabs and in hindsight the bank simply wanted to fill them – basically if you could do joined up writing and count to ten without using your fingers you were in.

Hunting for a job is not what it used to be as everything now is done electronically. When I was looking for a job in the 1990's before I joined the bank one used to buy copies of The Express & Star and The Evening Mail on a Thursday evening and scour the jobs pages and put a circle of red ink around any suitable opportunities. Then you had to either post off a CV with a covering letter or telephone the employer for an application form, which needed to be completed by hand, a dreadfully time consuming business, especially for me as my hand writing is appalling so I really had to take my time and concentrate on what I was doing. I always used to complete the application forms bitterly as I knew that despite my scribing efforts the chances were that the form would end up being flippantly disposed off by an official of the employer.
Harry Gout, by request of Toby In-Tents.

These days you can upload your CV online and some job websites even have a “one click” application procedure where they dispatch your CV to the employer, so it really is child's play. Filling out application forms online is less grueling than the paper equivalent as you can at least cut and paste sections from previous job applications and type face means that the aesthetic appearance of applicants' forms is universal, so my illegible written scribble doesn't disadvantage me.

Employers seem to like persons who are constantly adding new strings to their bows and are slaves to self improvement. To this end I recently attended a drama therapy course and a self employment workshop, both of which were free which gives you a clue as to the main reason as to why I attended. I didn't real know what to expect from the drama therapy session but I first perceived it as being “Drama? Therapy!” as in “had a major life DRAMA? Don't worry, we'll give you THERAPY!” But it didn't turn out to be a caper like that at all. In drama therapy a person can express their problems by playing a role like an actor. It's a bit like going to visit your doctor and saying, “I want to help a close friend of mine because he's too embarrassed to visit you as he's having difficulties getting an erection” when it is you all along that is failing to rise to the occasion.

Christian, the calm and friendly leader of the course, explained that dramatherapy is a form of psychological therapy in which all of the performance arts are utilised within the therapeutic relationship. The course was interesting and enlightening but the whale music that played in the background for the duration of the evening, which was intended to permeate tranquility and lead to a sense of serenity, didn't achieve its desired effect on me as it got right on my thruppenies and I wanted to sling the CD player out of the window. Whales should at least have the decency to learn a basic three cord punk track if they want to impose music upon our earholes.

Whale Music.
The first few speakers at the self employment workshop in Smethwick proved to be useful and informative but then I was presented with two young men from the High Street bank that I used to work for and they got my goat without even trying. One of the bankers was slovenly – unshaven, tie undone, wearing an ill-fitting shirt etc. - but he was not a bad speaker, though not an entirely competent one, and the other was smartly turned out with polished shoes, a pressed suit and closely clipped hair, but he was an uninspiring and less than competent orator. Between them the double act didn't present a favourable impression of the bank and they wouldn't make me rush to them to negotiate a loan to start up a business.

But worse was to follow when an accountant stepped out for the next part of the show and not wanting to break the stereotype of his profession he was an unrestrained and relentless dullard. His suit was dull, his tie was dull, his glasses were dull, his voice was dull, his slide show was unremittingly dull. Even his hair was dull. The accountant attempted a couple of “jokes” but no one even offered any apologetic laughter as he had drained the room of any remaining enthusiasm and life.

Just as I was losing the will to live a chap called Andy burst onto the stage and as much as a business advisor can be, he was a real showman and he wrestled back the attentions of the audience before him. Andy's confidence and vitality was such that he was completely unfazed by being asked to speak for ten minutes longer than he had planned, to make up for the schedule running ahead of time. This reminded me of once being instructed to spontaneously entertain a room full of guests for ten minutes at a wedding.

Lord Reith, who will probably be rolling in his grave at the
prospect of me being interviewed by the BBC.
Harry Gout bestowed the honour on our dear late friend The Imp and I of being his Best Men at his wedding and to that end we had prepared the customary speech. The Imp had previously been the Best Man for Lolly and the Imp based his speech on old photographs that he had acquired of Lolly, most of which were comedic, which he projected onto a wall at the wedding venue. We decided to follow this tack for our speech at Gout's wedding and after obtaining the necessary embarrassing pictures of Gout we rehearsed the speech to death and all was fine and dandy. That is until we actually came to perform the speech at the wedding. The Imp and I took the stage but to The Imp's horror the laptop computer, which we were to use to project the photographs from, was refusing to work. The Imp whispered to me, “the laptop's not working” but knowing that he was a right wind-up merchant I did not believe him but after investigating the matter I found his word to be true. As The Imp and I stood on the stage, with an increasingly impatient crowd looking on, he muttered the immortal words to me, “I will try and get the laptop to work, you entertain the crowd for ten minutes.”

Not having a short tap dance routine up my sleeve and being unable to play the spoons I had to disappoint the audience and The Imp. In the event we had to delay the speech to the evening by which time we finally had got the laptop working – in a fashion – but by then we were jibbering wrecks and the speech didn't reach the mirthful heights that it should have done. If at the BBC interview I am asked, “please tell me Mr Horton, what rule in life do you consider to be the most important?” I will answer, “never work with children, animals or laptops.”

© Dominic Horton, June 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment