Wednesday 29 July 2015

Lowlife 127 – Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not

By Dominic Horton

Last week was another busy week which included Tater's funeral, a day with my dear son Kenteke, a shared reading session of poetry for residents of a care home who suffer from dementia, a trip to the picturesque Telford campus of the University of Wolverhampton, being force fed Enville Ale from the cask by Sleepy Tom Parker at his place on Saturday (I didn't complain) and more job related shenanigans. Not forgetting quiz night at the Flagon & Gorses, where the Pirate and I were proud as peacocks not to finish last. As far as pub quizzes are concerned it is usually a case of me being first up the bar, last in the quiz. The only question I usually answer right is when Chilli Willy behind the bar asks me what I want to drink and I get that wrong half of the time.

Jonty Von Rossi in the Flagon & Gorses
Talking of pub matters (and pubs do of course matter) I was disappointed to hear that my good friend Jonty Von Rossi is soon to cease to become landlord of The Swan on Shell Corner after taking the controversial decision to emigrate to Devon. What Devon has to offer - other than fine beaches, a balmy climate, fabulous cream teas and stunning National Parks – gawd only knows. It is a long way for Jonty to go to avoid suffering the indignities of watching West Bromwich Albion but if that is what it takes, then fair enough. Jonty's imminent departure was a good a reason as any for a little drink so I met him on Sunday in The Swan and The Frymaster General dragged himself down the motorway from Stoke to join us. Within seconds of being at the bar the Frymaster, true to type, had sniffed out the murkiest scrumpy on offer – if you can see through the pint it is not for the Frymaster.

On Monday I wasn't drinking murky cider but a crystal clear Enville brewery Cherry Blonde in The Whitley after Tater's funeral, where so many turned up to pay their respects to my dear friend that a great number of mourners were locked out of the chapel. My pall bearing and speech giving duties went well enough and it was a relief when they were over, though it was a great honour to be asked to play my part in the proceedings. Pall bearing is a particularly nerve wracking task as I always fear that I will trip up and knock the coffin over, or some such calamity, even though these days the coffin tends to be on a trolley to make things easier. And writing and orating a speech for a funeral is a much more difficult undertaking than doing it for a wedding, giving the somberness and sensitivity of the occasion. When writing a best man's speech you only need to throw in a few cheap one liners and it gets the tipsy gathering tittering, so you are off and running. But that tactic cannot be equally applied to writing a eulogy or a tribute, so you have to tread with great care and delicacy.

I was a bit delicate on Tuesday as we had a few to send Tater off. I performed my usual trick of not eating much despite Sarah laying on a magnificent buffet and when I finally got home I didn't have the heart to wake a frozen pizza that lay sleeping in the freezer – the pizza must have had a hard day because it was flat out. The irony of me not eating was that a food bank collection that Sarah had organised for the funeral drew in enough food to feed the whole of Halesowen.
The Whitley, Halesowen.

A fry up on Tuesday morning with my dear son Kenteke at the wonderful Litebites cafe round the corner from my Codger Mansions home remedied the position and propelled me into the rest of the week, which saw me reading poetry to care home residents with dementia in Tipton on Wednesday as part of my volunteering with The Shared Reading Company. I didn't know quite what to expect from the experience but I was keen to go to find out what it was like, on invitation from my colleague Nuala, who runs the shared reading groups at the home. The care home was a big place, like a village almost, divided into different sections that cater for the needs of the residents.

When we arrived Nuala started talking to residents that she knows to see how they are. Nuala asked one seated lady, J___, how she is and she enthusiastically greeted Nuala, “Oooooh, hello luvva, it's so lovely to see you chick, how am ya?” Nuala said, “You know who I am then J___?” J___ said, “No love, aye got a clue.” As I was standing round like a spare part I started to introduce myself and talk to the residents too. A study found that care home residents who have dementia on average only spend 2 minutes a day participating in meaningful social interaction, so a bit of chat, even with me, might be valuable. Nuala spoke with one man, P___ , and when they had finished he moved away in his wheelchair to watch television. Nuala said to me, in hushed tones, “He's a lovely chap P_____, he's in here but there's nothing wrong with him.” I looked at P____ and saw he has no legs. I looked back at Nuala and we both laughed at her statement – what she meant of course was that he doesn't have dementia, he is perfectly lucid, but for some reason he is in the dementia based home.

The Frymaster General, by request of Toby In-Tents.
I talked to T_____. He asked me, “what time am yow gooin' to bed?” “I don't know T___, maybe 11.30.” “That's late.” “Well, I shall probably go to the pub this evening.” “They woe let me goo to the pub! No chance! And the minute yow goo, they'll put me t' bed, I'm tellin' ya.” I assumed that T___'s last comment wasn't a true reflection of what would happen (as it was only early in the afternoon) but I did desperately want to take him out to the pub for a drink, even if it was just for one pint. It would probably do T___ the world of good.

Nuala and I read poems to the group of six residents and stopped for discussion after each piece. Some of the group gave their thoughts on the poems, some didn't, S___ just smiled. She smiled a lot, it was lovely to see. After a poem about gardening (The Glory of the Garden by Rudyard Kipling) one resident, L___, became very animated and told us all about the large garden that she used to have at her home and what she use to do in it.  L____ spoke with energy and she had a light in her eyes, recalling memories from her life.

B___ spoke a few words about the poems after each reading and was even able to read one piece aloud. Later Nuala told me that at first B___ didn't say a word at the sessions but slowly over the weeks she has begun to contribute more. Another lady, D___, sat expressionless throughout most of the session and didn't look at the poetry sheets in front of her. But towards the end of the readings she picked up the poem in question and started to follow Nuala's reading, accurately as well, as I could tell she was reading the correct lines and she turned the page at the right place.
Litebites cafe, Halesowen.

The shared reading session was the last one of the season as the funding has come to an end and even though Nuala has re-applied to the funders, with a view to starting a new round of sessions in the autumn, there is no guarantee the money will be forthcoming. As we left Nuala admitted to feeling a bit sad, as she won't be back next week. I said I feel sad too, even though it's my first visit – who will read poems to the residents next week? Nuala handed a bound folder of poetry to an employee of the home who is known to her, in the hope that she will read to the residents - I sincerely hope that she does but given the pressures of her job she might not have the time or the inclination.

The residents of the home deserve not to be simply forgotten. And my dear departed friend Tater will always be in my memory. And even though he's going to Devon I won't forget Jonty Von Rossi either – mainly because I want to visit him for a free holiday. 

© Dominic Horton, July 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment