Friday 17 July 2015

Lowlife 126 – Perpetual Motion

Perpetual Motion

By Dominic Horton

Last Thursday morning felt full of possibilities. I could have gone for a stroll on the breezy Otterspool promenade and said hello to the seagulls to blow a bit of booze out of my feathers, I could have read my book in bed, watched the news and learnt about the previous day's budget – nothing like getting the heckles up first thing to bring one to life – or I could sit and make notes in order to write this tomfoolery: I plumped for the latter option. I was in a Travelodge in Aigburth, Liverpool as I was attending a three day Read to Lead course in the locality, run by The Reader organisation.

Moby Dick.
Thursday morning saw me in my modus operandi of having a suggestion of a hangover having sampled some of the local watering holes the night before. I hadn't planned to go out at all on Wednesday evening as I was very tired on account of only having had a few miserly hours sleep over the previous couple of nights and I was up at 0430 hours on Wednesday morning for the drive. I set out ridiculously early as I had never undertook a motorway journey of such a length before and I was a bundle of nerves, or as Alexander Sutcliffe would have it, I was shaking like a tap dancer's fanny.

After the course I arrived back at my travel tavern prison cell, with it's domineering view of a large bush inches from the window, and decided that I must get out after I had eaten my tea. As I was trying to do the trip on a tight budget tea consisted of an executive pot noodle type affair with cherry tomatoes – the dish was supposed to be accompanied by black olives to give it a more Mediterranean feel but the ring came off the tin, rendering it useless. And although I am a thorough sort of chap I didn't pack a tin opener, though one will be on my list for the next trip.

Despite breathing exercises and other tricks of the anxiety trade I found it difficult to becalm myself after the jumpy motorway journey and a busy day at the course, so there was only one thing for it – a pint. I looked on the Whatpub website and there basically seemed to be two choices: walk a couple of miles to Lark Lane in Aigburth, which seemed have some runners and riders, though they looked a bit fancy for my liking, or stroll a mile or so into Garston to visit a back street boozer, which appealed more to my Lowlifian tastes, especially as the pub temptingly promised six real ales to tickle the tonsils with. But first was a visit to the Toby carvery which accompanies the travel tavern, as although I know what banalities awaited me I wouldn't be doing my job as writer of this column properly if I didn't at least have a quick one.

The Toby had all the set pieces: surly staff resigned to their fate, invasive and unsettling piped music, advertisements for Carling cider pitchers at £13.10 a pop (Carling cider?! How low rent can one get) and a faltering Wifi that didn't have the heart to rise to the challenge and overcome its dismal surroundings. My eyes widened in surprise at the sight of the small bounty of three hand pumps. But on closer inspection they all vended the same beer. Of course they did. How dare me to expect otherwise from Mr Toby. But the pint was in tip top nick, not what I anticipated at all, which threw me a bit.
Otterspool Promenade, Aigburth, Liverpool.

I hot trotted the fifteen minutes or so to The Masonic, leaving leafy, affluent Aigburth and entering an earthy world of council houses and Victorian terraces.  Although Whatpub is useful to discover the best of what an area has to offer it takes all of the excitement out of sniffing out a boozer on unfamiliar territory. As I walked down the main road to the Masonic I gazed longingly down side streets hoping to see a beery oasis adorned with hanging baskets but I knew full well that it was not going to happen. Looking at Whatpub had snatched that possibility away from me. Even reading the real ale buff's bible The Good Beer Guide doesn't completely shut the door on unearthing a gem of a pub as not all of the decent ones are in the book. And as my fellow inmates at The Flagon & Gorses will tell you there's nothing quiet like rooting out a bostin' boozer only by using the stars and the aroma of hops to guide you, like Ray Mears sniffing out a Wetherspoons in the Amazon rainforest.

The Masonic was tucked away, shyly hidden in a labyrinth of terraced house streets. In the public bar there were three men and there seemed to be a customer dress code of shaved heads and shorts revealing tattooed calves. All hands seemed pleasant enough though. As I approached the bar the gaffer said, “we've only got one on” pointing to the six hand pumps. At the this point I hadn't spoken and I had only been in the pub literally seconds so how he knew that I am a real ale drinker I know not, either I must just look like the sort or his gafferly instrincts told him.

The Masonic, Garston, Liverpool, by request
of Toby In-Tents
The gaffer served me the one beer they had on but before I could taste what looked like an acceptable - but far from mint condition - pint it was whisked away as he deemed it not to be in adequate condition. He poured me another pint, which was in better nick, but also gave me the original one as well, explaining that I could have the naff one for for free. He charged me £2, so it was effectively a £1 a pint, which appealed to my meagre budget. After another couple it was back to the Toby for a nightcap, then bed.

The following night demanded a change of tactics, so I sauntered the couple of miles or so to Lark Lane, via a couple of pit stops. After walking for about a mile and a half passed large houses with perfectly manicured lawns and Mercedes camper vans on driveways I encountered seven churches and three Italian restaurants but no pub. There's too much pasta and not enough pissed-a in Aigburth and the work/ drink balance appears to be all wrong.

I finally got to The Old Bank, some three miles down the main road from The Masonic with no other pubs in between (not counting the Toby of course, which can't claim to be a proper boozer.) The pub was not unpleasant but it sported more television screens (three) than hand pulls (two) and there was only a couple with a dog in, so after a quick one and a chat with the barman, I moved on.

I quickly hazarded upon a lively house called the Fulwood Arms, where drinkers had spilled out onto the street and an Irish folkey band were in full irritating swing. Ominiously two hand pulls had no pump clips on them. I asked the gaffer, who himself turned out to be Irish, if he had any real ale on. “Wha's dat yer mean?” I pointed forlornly at the hand pumps. “We have some Guinness Porter,” and being the best thing on offer I had a pint. It was freezing cold and gassy and gave me the hiccups. Back out into the Liverpudlian night.

I finally found Lark Lane, which is attractive and a bit boho, like London almost but you don't have to get on a tube to get there, which was a relief. I popped in two more pubs with bar staff with perplexed looks when I inquired about the availability of real ale. Heading up Lark Lane on my quest for a decent pint I felt like the beer hunter, in perpetual motion, I was Captain Ahab in Moby Dick but instead of hunting the great white whale I would have settled for an average real ale – then I found one, in The Albert. An attractive building had been ruined internally with garish advertising, more TV screens than Currys and flashing fruit machines. An odd contraption behind the bar advertised 'crispy bacon vodka' which sounds like a Russian breakfast drink. I hankered for home and the Flagon & Gorses and left The Albert to return, unfulfilled, to the travel tavern.
The Albert, Aigburth, Liverpool. 

But I passed a place called the Rhubarb, that looked on first glance like a wine bar (which I had earlier dismissed) and I studied it more closely and it beckoned me in. At last I had found what appeared to be a normal locals' pub. With people at the bar who talk to you. And chit chat and chaffing with the bar staff. A mature woman at the bar asked where I am from and what I was doing in Liverpool. I explained that I am from a town called Halesowen in the Black Country and that I was in Liverpool on a course to do with Shared Reading. “I've nevva eeerrred of dat place. Martin, dis lad's come all de way 'ere to read booooowks!!!!” Martin - “He's a Brummie dat lad.” Barman - “No ee's not like, 'ee's from Dudley I'm tellin' ya.” Dudley: close enough for me. Turns out the barman went to Birmingham University and has a bit of West Midlands knowledge.

Martin tipped me off to order as much as I wanted at last orders as the bar staff don't kick you out but they can't serve after hours, as the gaffer, who was upstairs, will know by looking at the electronic till. He ordered four pints of Guinness. I conservatively just had the three pints of bitter. Finally I had got my catch but unlike Ahab I didn't pay with my life but with a twenty pound note.

© Dominic Horton, July 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment