Monday 23 February 2015

Lowlife 110 – A Fall from Grace

A Fall From Grace

By Dominic Horton

As I sit at my desk writing this week's edition of this column I await the Tesco delivery driver to arrive with boxes of grocery bounty for my good self. I have a delivery from Tesco once a month with all of the unexciting non-perishable items that one needs to sustain oneself such as toilet roll, toothpaste and dried lentils, which I use a lot in cooking, not because I am a vegetarian but because they are a damn sight more cheaper than meat and very healthy. They do make you fart though.

Hans Krankl, by request of Toby In-Tents.
The delivery fee is now as low as a pound – depending on what time of day you book – and a few clicks on your mouse is all you need to choose your shopping and book the delivery; if you ask me it is a no-brainer and a substantially better way of shopping than having to suffer the trauma of wrestling with coffin dodgers and assorted zombies who block up the aisles at the supermarket. Another benefit of internet grocery shopping is that human contact is kept to a minimum and is limited to a couple of minutes dealing with the delivery driver, who without exception is always of a more cheery disposition that your average cashier at the supermarket, who usually have a glum countenance and the expression of a bassett hound.

I used to employ the traditional method for my big monthly shop and labour around the supermarket, overfilling a trolley with a faulty wheel and irately swearing under my breathe when they've had a reorganisation of the goods on the shelves, resulting in me being unable to find the items that I need. I would then load up whatever clapped out motor I happened to be driving at the time only to have to unload the multitude of bags again at the other end. It is rare that I can get a parking spot anywhere near my Codger Mansions home in the evening or on weekends so I could have done with a human chain to transport the shopping bags from vehicle to front door. If you throw a hangover or booze terrors into the mix it made the big shop a truly horrific experience. I once saw the Woodcutter in a 'the morning after' state egress a busy supermarket without attempting to purchase an item as he simply couldn't face it. He undoubtedly made the right decision in his predicament.

Despite knowing about internet grocery shopping I persevered with the onerous supermarket trips as I was suspicious of the online method. I foresaw late deliveries, cracked eggs and manky veg. But I could not have been more wrong as the reality is that Tesco have not once been late and the produce that they send is fresh and bursting with vitality and I used to crack more eggs in packed shopping bags than Tesco has ever done with their deliveries. They did once send me a foul fruit-based alcoholic drink (I forget what it was called) in place of a bottle of the delightful limoncello but everyone is allowed at least one indiscretion. And I ended up mixing the unappetising drink with tonic water and adding ice and it went down well enough.
Fudgkins.

I was effectively forced to use the Tesco online grocery service after I broke my ankle and was unable to drive for a while, or walk for that matter. It was a life saver at the time. I didn't break my ankle undertaking an heroic act on a sports field but in a more mundane mishap. On a Saturday evening I was supposed to be venturing into Birmingham with my brother Albino Duxbury and Tom Holliday to see the Madness frontman Suggs in a solo show. But heavy snow started to fall late afternoon and by early evening all local buses and trains were cancelled and it was virtually impossible to get a taxi, so we had to abandon all thoughts of going to the show.

I had agreed to meet Tom in the Flagon & Gorses, so there I remained to drown my sorrows being in a Suggs-less state. After taking my leave from the Flagon I popped in to the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeway to see my nemesis, the Baby Faced Assassin, and to buy a little supper, before descending the precipitous Furnace Hill, which had taken on the look of the North face of the Eiger. I confidently laid my foot down on what I thought was soft snow only to find that hazardous ice was underneath; I lost my footing and fell heavily on my ankle dropping the Chinese takeaway in the process. As the szechuan beef and fried rice went skidding off down the hill in its white plastic bag my life flashed before me as I awaited to see what the fate of my supper would be. The takeway sped down the snowy hill like the luge but luckily came to rest safety, upright, a yard short of a lamp post. Although my Hans Krankl was mangled at least my hot supper was still intact.

The following day, a Sunday, my ankle was sore but I was not of the impression that I had broken it as I just thought I had sustained a nasty sprain. I even managed to make the Sunday night festivities in the Flagon with the help of a lift from the inimitable Colly Coren. But by Monday the pain has escalated and it was off to A&E for the inevitable day long saga of waiting around to see doctors/ have X-rays etc. It was confirmed that I had indeed broken my ankle and it was a nasty one to boot. A couple of weeks later, once the injury had settled down, they operated and added a plate and some pins to stabilise the ankle – disappointingly the metal in my leg does not set off metal detectors at airports, which is a shame as it could of acted as a cue for me to relate this sorry, unedifying story.

A Bassett Hound.
On the plus side of things I was unable to go to work and although having a busted Hans Krankl was less than ideal I could at least make the most of being away from my displeasing and demoralising job. I soon settled down to new routines within Codger Mansions and I worked out how to do everything that I needed to do, despite being on crutches. I refused all kind offers of assistance as I was determined to be completely self reliant. It is often the case that elderly, infirm people do not uptake offers of help to the frustration of their younger, fitter relatives and friends: “I can't believe that old Great Uncle Arthur climbed up that 30 foot ladder on his one leg in the dark, with a gale blowing and without his guide dog. No wonder he has ended up in hospital. Why didn't he just ask me to do it?!” But I understand the Great Uncle Arthurs of this world now as I learnt that to be able to live independently is a valuable thing. Being reliant on others can effect a person's self esteem.

I managed to transport meals from the kitchen to the dining room or living room by putting them into a tupperwear pot and placing that in a bag on my shoulder. My toilet is on the ground floor and as navigating the stairs was difficult I would wee into a makeshift chamber pot if I needed to go in the night and tip the contents out of the back bedroom window into the drain on the roof of the extension below. One night I was a bit over zealous in tipping the wee out of the chamber pot and it bounced off the slope of the extension roof and the next thing I heard was a screeching, “meeeeeooooowwww!!!” - the liquid had landed on an unfortunately positioned cat. An unsuspecting pet owner must have had an unpleasant and whiffy surprise when Tiddles entered the cat flap.
A chamber pot.

One issue was getting to and from the Flagon & Gorses as it was too far to navigate on my crutches and I did not want to incur the expense of taxis. But I learnt from Fudgkins that incredibly a bus – which I dubbed the Happy Bus – stops down the road from me and goes around a few back streets, passing close to the Flagon on its travels. So I was easily able to get to the Pirate's pleasure palace for a pint or five. But I took my life in my own hands every time I visited the toilet, especially after I had drunk a few, on account of the sloping floor and the narrow channel of access through the bar.

After a couple of months and rigorous physiotherapy the fun was over as my ankle had healed sufficiently for me to return to work. Now when there is heavy snowfall I take the scenic route on the way back from the Flagon to avoid walking down the steep slope of Furnace Hill. The last thing I need at the moment is another fall from grace.   

© Dominic Horton, February 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment