Monday 2 February 2015

Lowlife 107 – A Fox in the Henhouse

A Fox in the Henhouse

By Dominic Horton

Being a writer I like to be around creative types so it was a treat on Thursday to be in the company of three such persons; the artists Louise Blakeway, Fran Wilde and Elena Thomas. I was attending an exhibition of Elena Thomas's work at Artspace in Dudley (http://www.artspacedudley.com/) entitled Nine Women and also viewing the work of Louise Blakeway at the same venue. The Nine Women exhibition includes intricately embroidered women's brassieres that are hung from the ceiling on suspenders – no, not that type of suspenders, there was not a stocking in sight. Stockings and suspenders and bras would be too much for any Benny Hill loving man to bare. Staying with the spirit of Benny Hill, the bra-themed exhibition was fascinating so I bet it has received a lot of praise and favourable comments but it is bound to also have some knockers.

A fox in the henhouse, by request of Toby In-Tents. 
Elena's drawings of the bras are also on display at the exhibition. The drawings are on tracing paper and you can see that there is another drawing of the bra underneath but it is obscured by the tracing paper drawing on top – so in many ways it is like a bra on a woman as I was left thinking, “I wonder what it looks like underneath?”

The embroidered bras and drawings are accompanied by nine songs that the multi-talented Elena has written and is in the process of recording (she has recorded three to date). On one of the songs Helena sings a capella and it struck me that when you hear unaccompanied singing you tend to listen more closely to the song and the lyrics. You don't always need to shout to be heard, sometimes the quiet, subtle approach works best. I wish some drinkers in pubs would learn this lesson as some of them make a terrible din.

We are lucky in the Flagon & Gorses as other than a few notable exceptions we don't tend to get many shouters in the pub. But that is certainly not the case in the pub down the road from me and in the summer when customers are in the beer garden you can hear their boisterous racket in my Codger Mansions dwelling. It might be the case that all the drinkers in the pub used to work in the textile industry, operating noisy machines and are now hard of hearing and need to shout to each other to be heard. Either that or they are young men and women who are p*ssed and have a lack of consideration for neighbouring households as a consequence.

Elena showed us a lot of consideration at the exhibition and not only did she take the time to chat to me about her work but she also offered me tea and delicious cake, which she had made herself, displaying another string to her creative bow. I only have one string to my creative bow so if that snaps I am doomed and it is under great strain as it is.
One of the intricately embroidered bras from Elena 
Thomas's Nine Women exhibition. 

After the Nine Women exhibition I viewed paintings and work by the artist Louise Blakeway in another room in the Artspace building. Lou is a friend of mine and she was also present so again I was able to listen to the artist talk about her work. Three small charcoal portraits were exhibited of artists who have influenced Louise, including Beryl Bainbridge. Lou explained that she burnt some old court papers from an unpleasant case she was involved in and used the ashes to draw the portraits, which I thought was a very creative and intelligent way of turning a negative into a positive.

I love Louise's work and I fleetingly thought about buying a piece, which would sit rather nicely in my Codger Mansions living room and would complete my recent decorations but I couldn't justify the expenditure not being in paid employment at the moment. If I abstain and steer clear of the Flagon & Gorses for a month I could use the monies to buy a painting that I have my eye on but there is more chance of the Pirate voting UKIP than that happening.

The Nine Women exhibition reminded me that I accidentally took women's studies as part of my degree at Worcester University twenty odd years ago when my brain could cope with learning new things. I originally signed up to do a course module on social psychology but at the first lecture I was told that due to an administration error by the university the course was over subscribed and I would have to leave and find another course. There were only two courses with spaces available within my sphere of social studies, one that I had no interest in (I forget what it was) and women's studies, so I subscribed to the latter.

Benny Hill in typical pose.
I turned up early to the first women's studies lecture and settled down at a desk awaiting my fellow students. After a few minutes the lecturer breezed in with a number of students behind her and seeing me she said, “I think that you are in the wrong classroom, this is women's studies.” I of course explained that on the contrary, I was in exactly the right room as I had singed up to the course. By now the class was filling up and all of the students were women, and a general discussion and rumpus followed and many of the students looked aghast at the thought of me joining them. It was explained to me that the situation was unprecedented as a man had never taken up women's studies before and a few of the more outspoken students were not shy in telling me that this was a space for women only and that I should leave.

As things started to get heated the lecturer politely asked me to leave the room in order that a debate could be held on the matter as there were differing opinions as to whether I should be allowed to take the course. Battle lines seemed to be drawn between the radical feminists, who wanted me out off the course, and the liberal feminists, who felt that I should be allowed to stay. I obligingly took myself off to the cafeteria for a cuppa while the women in the group had their ideological bun fight.

After half an hour or so I was called back to the battlefield and I was told to my delight that a ballot had been held and by majority the women students had voted that I should stay on the course. It was clear though that there were a number of very disgruntled students and looking at the faces around the room I hazarded that the vote must have been very close. Personally I would have voted for kicking me off the course, not because I am a man but because at the time I used to dress very shabbily. The lecturer should have caveated the ballot's outcome by telling me, “you can stay on the course but as a minimum you will need to have a shave, comb your hair and introduce your clothes to a washing machine. And a collar wouldn't go amiss.”
My dear son Kenteke at the Hope Not Hate
Balloon release. 

Once I had infiltrated the women's studies course I was like a fox in the henhouse and when we were discussing things in class I knew exactly what to say to agitate the other students for sport and to get their blood boiling, especially the radical feminists and when they were contending what I said and their anger was rising to a peak I would always say, “I am only playing Devil's advocate.”

Being from Halesowen I thought that I might feel like an imposter on Saturday when together with my dear son Kenteke I attended an event arranged by the organisation Hope not Hate (http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/) at St John's Parish Hall in Dudley to celebrate multiculturalism in the town. But not a bit of it, I was made to feel completely at home by the lovely people from Hope not Hate and by members of the Dudley Borough Interfaith Network, who I chatted to at length. The event was organised to help foster community integration ahead of a planned rally by the English Defence League in Dudley next weekend. The event was an unmitigated success and people from all ethnicities, beliefs and backgrounds intermingled and enjoyed the free food, music and activities on offer, such as helping to paint a mural of Dudley with my artist friend Maren. There was a wonderfully warm and happy atmosphere in the church hall and a lot of smiling faces.

The highlight of the event was a mass balloon release on the car park of the hall. You had to write a message of hope on a piece of card that was attached to the balloon and everyone was asked to release their balloons in unison once the signal was given. It was a joyous sight seeing hundreds of balloons making their way to the skies with their messages of hope but there was a strong wind that carried my balloon into a nearby tree, where it got lodged, so for me it was less a question of hope and more a case of hopeless.  

© Dominic Horton, February 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment