Monday 9 February 2015

Lowlife 108 – Castaway

Castaway

By Dominic Horton

I've long fantasised about going a whole weekend without touching a single drop of booze but not in the circumstances that I have found myself in the last few days. After gentle merriment in the Flagon & Gorses with Neddy La Chouffe and Jolly Dave on Thursday evening I found myself having to rise from my bed in the small hours to visit the toilet; there's nothing unusual about that in itself, as at least one sleep-interrupting comfort break is the norm for me these days but this time I didn't just need a routine pee but rather I was sick with all the violence of a gushing dam that has just been penetrated by one of Richard Todd's bouncing bombs.

Wilfrid Brambell as Albert Steptoe in Steptoe & Son
It took me a while to realise that I had not had the ill judgement to eat a Chinese takeaway from the Rhareli Peking after leaving the Flagon, so once I returned to bed feeling decidedly dicky I began to retrace what food I had eaten during Thursday to see if I could isolate what might by the cause of the vomiting: two rounds of peanut butter on toast; a Tesco Everyday Value range yogurt (that was in date); a banana (not on the turn - well, slightly on the turn maybe but nothing drastic); a Cadburys Caramel Freddo (a treat after going running); home-made tomato and lentil soup; tinned mackerel in teriyaki sauce (quickly becoming a favourite of mine) with plain rice and salad; and finally the obligatory packet of Mini Cheddars (or cheesy communion wafers as we call them) in the Flagon & Gorses to accompany the beer, which was of the best quality and not nausea inducing. So on the face of it nothing I had consumed during the course of Thursday had caused the biliousness that I had experienced. I put it down to being in the company of Neddy La Chouffe and Jolly Dave and tried, but failed, to get some sleep.

On Friday morning I was the antithesis of being as fresh as a daisy and I felt like I had been poisoned by an especially foul and repellent sauce that the chef at the Rhareli Peking, Mr Ping, reserves for those he dislikes the most, such as local authority health inspectors. I had a busy time of writing planned for Friday but I knew that the day was going to be a write off, so feeling rotten I had no option but to retreat back to bed and feel sorry for myself. I learnt during the course of the morning that I was most likely suffering from a stomach bug as my dear son Kenteke was off school with the same complaint so I had undoubtedly picked it up from him.

By Friday lunchtime I had stopped being sick but I'd had a belly full (ironically) of rolling around the bed holding my stomach and groaning like Albert Steptoe in the first Steptoe & Son film after he had contracted food poisoning in Benidorm. There was no use in my shouting out “Harold!!!” as I was alone in my Codger Mansions home, except for Alfie the teddy that is, and he has always proved useless in medical emergencies.
Jolly Dave caught playing air guitar in the Flagon
& Gorses, by request of Toby In-Tents.

Poking around the kitchen I quickly decided that I couldn't face trying to eat food, not even the most inoffensive sort - even the thought of dry toast took on the unpalatability of a typical lunch in the film Alive. At that very moment my mobile phone beeped and buzzed and a text from Pat Debilder asked, “Do you fancy some curry?” The master craftsman quipster Bob Monkhouse himself would have been overjoyed with the precision of the comic timing. Luckily I had my wits about me enough to realise that I would be an utter fool to hastily turn down Debilder's excellent homemade curry as it would come in handy once I was restored to full health in a few days time.

I had a shower to get rid of the odour-de-puke-in-de-toilette and after that I was in a condition to face a little television. I thought that I might as well make use of my newly acquired Chromecast device, which allows you to watch pictures on your TV screen that are being streamed on your computer. So I was off and away casting, which was very suitable as I was effectively castaway on my lonesome in Codger Mansions. I started to watch The Road, starring Viggo Mortensen, a film that is so miserable that it makes the average edition Lowlife seem like Mary Poppins.  I was downbeat enough as it was given my ailment so I switched the film off and started to watch another, The Visitor starring Richard Jenkins, about a bloke who goes to his little used flat in New York only to find an illegal immigrant couple living in it.

The film had all the hallmarks of being a feel good movie - which is what I needed to lift my spirits - as after Jenkins' character had initially told the immigrants to f*ck off out of his flat he had a bout of sympathy and invited them to stay for a couple of nights while they were looking for a new place to stay. He struck up a friendship with the couple after the Syrian male taught him how to play the African drums. All was going swimmingly for a time but predictably things ended in sorrow and gloom as the Syrian ended up being deported and his mother decided to follow him, which Jenkins' character was not very pleased about as he has spent the best part of the latter stages of the film subtly trying to get her knickers off. She did get into bed with him once but it was inconclusive as to whether they actually did the business or not but it seems unlikely as she was upset at the time about her son being deported. I wish films would spell things out for clarity and not cloud things in ambiguity as I often find it frustrating. Even a quick note on the screen would suffice, in this case for example: “for the avoidance of doubt he tried it on but she wouldn't let him.”

The late Bob Monkhouse
I still felt very ropey on Saturday and I was in doubt as to whether I should go to Villa Park to watch my beloved Aston Villa struggle to fight off the menaces of the title contending Chelsea. In the end I thought that getting out in the fresh air might do me some good and I must have been the only Villa fan going to the game that day who was doing so for an uplifting tonic. After pluckily leveling the score to 1-1 Villa eventually decided that it simply would not be sporting to let a decent team like Chelsea leave Villa Park with less than all three points, so they charitably donated a goal to opposition late on in the game so that the visitors could win 2-1. The result ensured that I was restored to being as sick as a parrot.

Earlier in the week I had arranged to meet Harry Gout in the Flagon & Gorses for a drink at Sunday tea time but my state by then was still highly delicate and I decided with a heavy heart that quaffing pints with Gout was not a sensible past-time to partake in at that moment. But late in the evening the walls of Codger Mansions started to close in (and they haven't got far to go with it being a Victorian terraced house) and I made a dash for last orders at the Flagon. So my fantasy of a dry weekend was dashed by a mere splash of beer at last knockings on Sunday. The sober Friday, Saturday and Sunday was a dryathalon but within sight of the finishing line I pulled my hamstring and failed to complete the race.
Richard Jenkins and Haaz Sleiman in The Visitor

I was greeted by the sight of the usual surly Sunday night inmates in the Flagon. I had a sip of beer and it took my body quite a while to reach a decision but eventually it reported back to me that while it was not wholly pleased about the introduction of the alcohol into my system that it was not going to reject it outright. It was an odd and virtually unprecedented situation for me to be stone cold sober in the Flagon late on the Sabbath. Mind you, if I had of been three sheets to the wind Colly Coren's glaring emerald green jeans were enough to sober up any man.

Coren said to me that he had been catching up on editions of Lowlife and that he had read seven that day. I instinctively thought that seven editions is too much for anyone to cope with in one go so I think I need to put a health warning on future editions: “The Department of Health recommends that you do not read any more than three editions of this column in any one day and that each edition is taken after meals as it might put you off your dinner if you read it beforehand.” If you decide to ignore the health advice then on your head be it but be warned: you might even struggle to get down a piece of dry toast. 

© Dominic Horton, February 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment