Friday 25 April 2014

Lowlife 67 – Lol-ed into a False Sense of Security

Lol-ed into a False Sense of Security

By Dominic Horton

It is odd what curious thoughts and images flow through our heads in idle and vacuous moments.  In the Flagon & Gorses the other Sunday, with my recent viewing of the superlative television series Rome fresh in the memory, I fleetingly but involuntarily pictured Gary Sitting Bull, Pat Debilder and Arthur Chedeurvalie as Roman governors sitting in the Senate encasing their wisdoms in flowing togas. The thought fled as quickly as it had arrived and was but one of hundreds of such flighty images that sped through my psyche during the day.  For the most part people do not articulate such adventitious and momentary thoughts through fear of feeling foolish or silly but given the on-going whimsical nature of this column I might as well fire away as no doubt my fellow Flagoners perceive me as a peculiar sort of chap anyway.   And I am certainly in no position to disagree with them.

Or maybe it is just me that has strange irregular thoughts like this during the day (and most of the night come to think of it).  It could be accounted for by me drinking too much, which is a distinct possibility.  But how does one break the enduring cycle of boozing and ignore the bewitching calling of drink that softly and seductively whispers, “submit yourself into my soft and warming arms and all will be well and all of your worriment and quandaries will be forgotten”?  When I played football it bought discipline to the proceedings and kept me more or less on the straight and narrow.  Association Football is a young man’s game though and it is beyond me now as for me to play again would take a more miraculous comeback than Christ’s on the day after Easter Egg Day or Elvis Presley’s in Las Vegas in 1968.  Legendary characters both but I think that in Blackheath Elvis’s comeback just shades it over Jez’s resurrection in the popularity stakes.  But if you compare Jesus coming out of a tomb looking a bit peaky and asking if anyone has got a spare fag to Elvis tearing into a rip roaring rendition of Arthur Big Boy Crudup’s That’s Alright Mama there is clearly no competition.
 
Adam Brown as Ori, in the Hobbit
Anyway, football doesn’t seem to be a goer for booze diversion tactics so maybe procuring a girlfriend would be the answer but with me on the prowl I can see the concerned women of Halesowen quickly forming a resistance group.  I did date a nurse recently but it ended up being another romantic calamity.  She had a habit of ending all her text messages with the increasingly popular but irritating abbreviation “lol” regardless of the content of the message.   She gave the impression that all was going swimmingly well but she eventually contacted me and said she just wants to be friends.  You could say that she lol-ed me into a false sense of security. 

Maybe if I cooked a meal for a prospective suitor it might impress her sufficiently to offer me a second date; then again given my industrial one pot cookery skills (where lean, tender meat and fresh, vibrant vegetables are transformed into stodgy gruel in a reverse butterfly manoeuvre) it is more likely to lead to a Crimewatch reconstruction.   Carla Von Trow-Hell at the Flagon & Gorses will no doubt campaign for the actor Adam Brown to play my part in the reconstruction as she cruelly suggested that I look like the character that Brown plays in The Hobbit, being the dwarf Ori.  I can’t see the likeness myself; Ori is far better looking than me.   I will have to leave my Codger Mansions dwelling and move into one of the Hobbit homes on Long Lane in Blackheath.

On the subject of matters culinary, things such as cooking an entire brisket without tenting or making a soufflé are often bandied about as being the hardest things for a chef to do but to my mind the task in cookery that requires the most skill is to is to defrost bacon in the microwave.  The thin ends of the rashers end up cooked while the fat ends remain frozen and stuck together.  They should challenge the contestants of MasterChef to defrost bacon in a microwave the morning after having drunk their weight in beer in the Flagon & Gorses.   I can just see Greg Wallace assessing the end result and proclaiming, “you have had a nightmare there kidda, if I dare eat that sandwich I’ll have to take War & Peace to the karsi with me as it will give me a severe dose of trichinosis.”
Hobbit homes in Blackheath

Whilst on the theme of food, I’m having preliminary thoughts about trying to grow a few vegetables in a little patch in the Codger Mansions garden, like Tom Good.  Mind you they will have to be hardy, as the only things that seem to survive there are weeds.  The garden seems to have the ecosystem of Chernobyl.   Willy Mantitt suggested that if I do become green fingered that by the end of May I might be able to enter the Chelsea Flower Show but I would imagine that one of the fundamental requirements of the competition is that your garden boasts flowers.  There isn’t a single flower in mine, so that rules me out.  If there was a competition called the Chelsea Weed Show I would be a gold medal winner as there are varieties of weeds in the garden that are unique to the Codger Mansions environment; I found three new types yesterday that have developed over the winter.   Anyway the chances of any success of the cultivation of vegetables is minimal given that the back garden at the Mansions is darker and damper than Windy McDisco’s aris the morning after he has had a skin full and a Vindaloo with the Pirate.  

But whether I grow vegetables, capture a girlfriend or enter into some other improbable occupation the weekly routine of drinking then drying out needs to be unequivocally broken and replaced with something a bit less acute at both extremities; this is especially the case as growing into my 40’s I am conscious that from a health perspective that I am marching into stroke/ heart attack/ mental breakdown/ midlife crisis territory; the latter two I have experience of but the former two have hitherto not called to say hello and if they did they would be unwanted guests.  Hangovers, the filthy post-booze terrors and lost weekends are bad enough but a major health incident would be more unwelcome than the Pirate at the Queen’s Garden Party.

Arthur Big Boy Crudup
But why all the drinking in the first place? Is it just habit, so enduring and persistent that it is just second nature, a way of life which I submit to unthinkingly? Does it fulfil a meaningful purpose? Is it just a side product of being single and spending my association time in the Flagon & Gorses? I was going to deliberate over these questions at the Great Western beer festival on Saturday but being in the eye of the storm is probably not the best time to ponder on these matters.   So in the dead of the night last evening, during my weekly first-sober-night-of-the-week-sleepless-terror-ride (which is like being on a ghost train at a 70’s fairground where the structure has been hastily and unsafely assembled with Peter Sutcliffe as the station master) it dawned on me that a prevailing sadness drives me to the pub.  The following day the drink compounds the sadness which propels me back to the pub once more, like a sick, pervasive boomerang, until enough becomes enough and I sharply apply the breaks for an emergency stop and effect a three point turn back to sobriety.   After the passing of a few dry days the sadness is steadfastly insistent in its occupation of my existence so it is a case of, what the hell, I might as well go and have a drink and make merry and the whole sorry rollercoaster starts its journey again.

And I don’t like rollercoasters, ever since I was on one as a kid with my Brother the Albino in Blackpool when we went round a sharp bend and I hit my head on a wooden white post at the side of the track.  It was only the fact that I was wearing a ‘Kiss me quick’ hat that saved my young life.  Another painful memory from that holiday was when on a roasting hot day my Grandad Charlie gave my brother and I bottle of Corona orangeade and told us not to guzzle it as when we had drunk it there would not be another.  Disastrously either my brother or I dropped and smashed the bottle (I forget who) and we were reduced to drinking warm water from a water tower.  So maybe I now guzzle beer regularly through fear of it disappearing or running out.  Well, that’s my excuse anyway and I am most definitely sticking to it.

© Dominic Horton, April 2014.
* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment