Wednesday 9 April 2014

Lowlife 65 – The Best Things in Life are Free

The Best Things in Life are Free

By Dominic Horton

In the song Money (That’s What I Want) Barrett Strong explained that the best things in life are free but ultimately he wanted hard cash.   We are told that money makes the world goes round but according to Mark Twain the lack of money is the root of all evil.  One thing is for sure and that is you do not truly appreciate the value of money until you are on your uppers, which, like many others, is a state that I am in more often than not, in my fragile fiscal existence.   I realise that things could be a whole lot worse, especially as essentially I am at least not in debt (well, not in the monetary sense anyway.)

One person who doesn’t want money, who has actively rejected it, is Mark Boyle, the Moneyless Man, who spent a year living without cash, growing his own food and foraging whilst living in a caravan in a farmer’s field.  Boyle organised everything in a most clever and efficient way for his cashless existence and was a model of green, ecologically friendly living.   The approach that Boyle took is without doubt admirable and we can all learn lessons from his experiences (which can be read in his book The Moneyless Manifesto, which you can read for free online) but freezing in a dark caravan in mid-winter and half starving to death (due to my general inability to grow anything other than my modest overdraft and my waistline) and wiping my aris on the local newspaper is not my idea of fun.  But in all earnestness Boyle’s experiment gives us food for thought and allows us to critique our often linear view of money, what it is and how it affects all of our lives.

Barrett Strong
Growing your own food could be seen as being increasingly important given that researchers from University College London last week explained that in their view we would be better off eating seven portions of fruit and vegetables a day instead of five.  The Pirate, the vivacious landlord of the serene retreat being the Flagon & Gorses, misunderstood the “7-a-day” advice and he has been quaffing seven pints of Nottingham Don’s Pale Ale daily.   By following Boyle’s example of providing food by foraging and growing your own it would at least mean that one would not have to suffer the indignities of valiantly (or potvaliantly more like) trying to digest the offerings of the chef Mr Ping at the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway.   I would most definitely advise you to not go foraging in the bins of the Peking as you never know what horrors you might find; it would most likely even wipe the perma-grin off the boat race of the front of house man the Baby Faced Assassin.

I should only write kindly words about the dear old Pirate in this edition as he has had a difficult time recently after suffering from a heavy cold. I told the Pirate not too worry, that the cold will soon pass and like Gloria Gaynor he will survive but he responded, “it is more a case of the record’s B-side, I’m F*cked but I’ll have a Go.”  Tuesday last he self-medicated by prescribing Nottingham Don’s Pale Ale to dry up his runny nose and Mount Gay Rum to make him forget why on earth he prescribed Nottingham DPA to dry up his runny nose.  While the Pirate worked his way through DPA/ rum/ tissues Theo Atrical kindly offered to clean up the beautiful, antiquated rose air vent that sits in the centre of the ceiling in the bar of the Flagon.    The Pirate was grateful to Theo for his offer and he commented that the air vent is an old, ornate feature of the pub that substantially doesn’t work, to which I retorted, “Pirate, it sounds just like you.”
Mark Boyle, the Moneyless Man



Back to the loose thread of this week’s offering, being money, which was at the at the forefront of my activities on Saturday evening, when I was given the night off from the Flagon & Gorses for good behaviour, as I attended a screening of 97% Owned, a documentary made by an organisation called Positive Money. The film is about the financial industry and its role in the economy.   The screening was organised by Transition Stourbridge, an environmental group based around the aforesaid town.   As he introduced the film a member of the group explained that free potatoes, artichokes and plants could be found in the foyer if attendants wished to take some on the way out; I waited for him to say that hooky fags, McSporran whisky and dubious pork chops would be flogged on the cheap after the film but such a comment was not forthcoming. 

The film was fascinating and thought provoking and proffered its view that the control of issuing new money is largely in the hands of the big commercial banks by way of lending and not under the jurisdiction of the state, who only issue 3% of all new monies by means of issue bank notes via the Bank of England.  This means that whatever policies the government choose to employ they cannot properly control the economy.   For interested parties you can view the film via the internet and it is certainly worth a watch.  A discussion followed the film where the audience could proffer their views and members of Positive Money clarified points made in the film.  At the end of the discussion we were invited to take tea and cake and I had a stark moment of clarity when I realised it was Saturday night and I found myself in a Quaker meeting hall with a load of hippy types which is without question terra incognita as far as Lowlife is concerned, so after a quick bite to eat it was off to the Flagon & Gorses before my withdrawal symptoms became irreversible. 

The Bisto Advert
Whilst scoffing my brunch on Sunday I pondered on a much quoted statistic which was repeated by Mark Boyle in The Moneyless Manifesto, which is that in Britain a third of all food is wasted, which is a dreadful state of affairs, especially given the increasing number of people in the country that rely on food banks, which I have discussed in this column before.  There is never much food waste in my Codger Mansions headquarters, which can lead to some strange concoctions at times but to use up some vegetables and garlic that was on the turn on Sunday I made a wonderfully rich tuna and tomato ragu, which would saw me alright for supper but which has stank the house out ever since given that it was slow cooked; on my return to the Mansions from the Flagon it was the exact opposite to the luring aromas of the Bisto advert of yore and I nearly did an about turn and headed for the Peking.   I am eternally thankful to myself that I didn’t.

My spendthrift attitude towards food waste is partly due to economic necessity and in fairness to my dear Mother she sagely forewarned me in her own way when I was a teenager that frugality is a trait that I would require in life after she advised, “you will never have any money.”  Such words were not a dire forecast of my future prospects in life but a liberating statement as the subtext said, “you will never have any money so you might as well not worry about it and enjoy life for what it is” which I have often heeded to my advantage.   That said when you are boracic lint you cannot exchange advice for a drink in the Flagon, which makes us all slaves to money to one degree or another.  Except for the Moneyless Man of course.

Another piece of invaluable advice that I have benefitted from came from my Auntie Anne, my mother’s sister, when I was a child, daunted by a number of onerous tasks that my Granddad Charlie had set me in his garden.   Like many people of his generation Granddad grew his own vegetables but unlike Mark Boyle it was not for ideological and ecological reasons but initially due to post-War austerity.   There was always a lot of work for us grandchildren to assist Granddad with and I fondly remember sitting in the garden after the work was done with a cup of tea (made with tea leaves), a digestive biscuit and a warm, satisfied glow. 

Anyway, seeing that I was not exhilarated about getting stuck into the gardening Anne simply said, “just do a bit” which was pure genius as things no longer seemed so overwhelming and Anne knew that once I made a start I would soon get through the jobs at hand done, which indeed turned out to be the case.   Throughout my life I always hark back to the “just do a bit” advice when faced with burdensome undertakings to complete, such as the writing of this column for example.   So if you take any pleasure from reading this balderdash, you have not me to thank, but my dear old Auntie Ann for offering me such shrewd advice, which cost me nothing.  This proves the point that, contrary to Barrett Strong’s desires, the best things in life are indeed free.

© Dominic Horton, April 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment