Thursday 17 April 2014

Lowlife 66 – The Leader of the Gong

The Leader of the Gong

By Dominic Horton

Following my second round of mild-graines a few weeks ago my health has far from been fully restored to such a degree that I have been in bed by 2100 hours many evenings and I have also avoided the Flagon & Gorses for a whole week as I thought I would go dry to see if it made any difference; it has not so I think I can rule out booze as a cause of my ailments (meaning they are not ale-ments.)  So it was back off to the quacks to see what he could do for me.   Being burdened with a chivalrous nature I offered my seat up in the packed waiting room to three women all of whom refused my offer; none of them struck me as being offended feminists so they all must have been thinking, “I’d rather endure standing up than put my aris anyplace that you have been.” 

Like my Dentist Mr Shulman, Dr Mangolatta is a young man of Asian descent and, also like Shulman, he also arrived at work a minute before he was due to start, unshaven and a little slovenly.  But Mangolatta inspires confidence in the same way that Shulman does, with his contemporary medical knowledge and easy manner and I have complete faith in him and given that my eyes passed their recent test with flying colours it is not blind faith either. 
 
Derek Wilton
Mangolatta explained that my blood tests revealed that all my major organs seem to be in decent fettle and I have no obvious illness to explain my symptoms, so he opined that my malaise is most probably down to post-viral fatigue.  When doctors have no idea what is up with you they diagnose a virus and when you have had a virus but you are still ill they state that it is post-viral fatigue; they must learn this trick in week one of their medical training and it sticks with them throughout their careers.  Mangolatta also said that I have an ear infection so prescribed some antibiotics.  At the pharmacy I was shocked to find that the price of a prescription has penetrated the £8 barrier (oddly the price has been set at £8.05) so before we know it you will get no change out of a tenner.  It will be cheaper to buy a bottle of vodka than pay for a prescription so it will be like the days of Soviet Russia when in the absence of any proper medication doctors would prescribe Vodka for all illnesses, even those that were caused by the excessive consumption of the spirit in the first place.

So I was hoping that the gong bath that I attended last Friday (on the kind invitation of Greenetta Redhead) would cure my unwelcome ills.   For the uninitiated (as I was prior to Friday) a gong bath involves someone banging Oriental gongs for an hour or so, while you lie motionless on the floor with your eyes closed, following which the gongmaster fleeces you out of a tenner.  Despite the gong bath not being a usual Lowlife activity I was keeping my mind open about it and I was looking forward to the evening.   My only prior experience of gonging was when I was a child, staying over at St Helier guest house in Llandudno with my grandparents and my brother when the landlady, Betty, would bang a gong to signify to the guests that breakfast or dinner was about to be served, so I didn’t know quite what to expect at the gong bath.

The gongmaster, Phil the Gong, is a Derek Wilton look-alike and wore a Chinese style white ice-cream man’s jacket but I refrained from quipping “two choc ices please”, as it didn’t seem appropriate in the circumstances.  After my introduction to Phil was complete, I lay down on my roll mat, in unison with all of the other gongees, ready for action, or inaction more like.   Before he started the gonging Phil the G said “let us say 'ohm' three times”, which was fitting as being very nervous that is exactly where I wanted to go (I realise that this weak gag only works here in the Black Country.)   Then I closed my eyes and the gonging started and I have to say it sounded unbelievably enchanting, the sound seemed to envelop me and reach to every part of my body and soul.  After a few seconds I opened my eyes to make sure Phil was actually banging the gongs personally as I wanted to make sure that he wasn’t playing a BBC soundtrack whilst sitting in a chair swigging on a can of Special Brew with his feet up, reading the Sporting Life, tab on.

The Acme Thunderer Whistle
Suddenly the gong music changed slightly and became dark and sombre and it reminded me of the spooky soundtrack in Apocalypse Now when Willard is sailing down the jungle River to find Kurtz and it put the wind up me a bit and gave me the woollies.  It didn’t help that shortly afterwards the old bloke lying not far from me nodded off and started snoring loudly, so it felt more like being in a hospital ward at night than a relaxing Eastern experience.  At least the snoring signified that the old fella was still alive, which was reassuring, as I am sure Phil the G wouldn’t have wanted to have a fatality on his hands.    Shortly after I was taken out of my mystical plain again and brought back to reality after I heard a rustling and it became clear than one of the brethren had broken rank and stood up, presumably to attend an impromptu call of nature.  You can always hold a wee in for a decent amount of time but if you need a Tom T*t and it becomes pressing then you have no choice but to go, so I had empathy with the gongee in question. 

Back to the gonging.  Some Percy Edwards style bird imitations were followed by Orca the Killer Whale and I was getting fully into the swing of things but then an odd but very calming thing happened.  As part of my on-going illness I have had flashing lights in front of my eyes, like the Aurora Borealis almost, but gradually under the influence of the gong the lights formed into slow moving decreasing circles (that Richard Briers would have been proud of) that gently floated across the inside of my closed eyelids.   I felt a sort of soothing bliss, a rapture; this feeling only lasted a second or two but it was an incredible sensation and it was almost miraculous given that I am a sufferer of anxiety disorder and generally more jumpy than a junkie who is walking through an eerie forest in the dead of night whilst going through cold turkey.

Before Phil the Gong set about his business he informed the gathering that the proceedings would be coming to an end when he started to play percussive instruments followed by the sound of the cymbals but when this eventually happened I was unsure as to whether things were at a close and I kept opening and closing my eyes to check.  To avoid doubt I think Phil would be better off signalling full time by the tried and trusted method of three sharp blasts on an Acme Thunderer whistle. 

Percy Edwards
Prior to leaving the building I approached Phil to thank him for the exceedingly enjoyable gong bath and he shaped up to hug me so I had to quickly thrust out a hand in panic for a handshake to ward off his proposed over familiar bodily contact.   I waved my tenner under Phil the G’s nose but he seemed most perturbed by this as if to say that he’s a Buddhist and money is of no consequence – he informed me that I had to drop the cash in a basket on the way out, which I suppose is his way of dissociating himself from the vulgarity of the monetary transaction.

To reflect on my gong based experience I retreated to the Flagon & Gorses to partake in what are more familiar Lowlife relaxation techniques.   After an hour or so, while I was propping up the bar with Richie Ramone, to my surprise in strolled Phil the Gong himself and ordered a pint of Bathams Best Bitter.   It was a case of East meets West Midlands.   I suppose being a gongmaster is thirsty work and no one could argue that Phil the G had earned his refreshment.  Phil said hello to me and I felt a lot more at ease, being in my natural habitat. 

There was only one way to finish off this most Oriental of evenings so after the Flagon I scraped into the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway just before closing time.    Instead of my usual I ordered schezwan beef and fried rice and the Baby Faced Assassin seemed so thrown by this that for the first time in my memory his perma-grin fell from his face and he seemed somewhat distressed.  This was probably due to the fact that he wasn’t looking forward to asking the chef Mr Ping to knock up the dish with only seconds left before close of play.    I was going to tell the Assassin about the gong bath but I thought better of it as if he attends the next session and subsequently gives someone food poisoning he might be arrested for gong related crimes.  And we don’t want that now do we. 

© Dominic Horton, April 2014.

(See http://www.philresound.co.uk/index.htm if you are interested in information on the gong bath.)

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment