Thursday 5 December 2013

Lowlife 47 - Once more unto the Breach


Once more unto the Breach

Like every other sane person (and probably many insane ones) I do not like having to drag myself out of bed in the morning but necessity (as well as being the mother of invention) dictates that rising at an early hour is unavoidable due to having to go to work to keep the wheels of the drudgery of life rolling.  In my case the wheels are corroded and have balding tyres but they carry on with their rotation, stoically, nonetheless.  So getting up in the morning to face the day is a case of “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more” to see what the new day brings. 

I attacked with Churchillian gusto the task of trying to transform into something palatable the foul batch of carrot and coriander soup that I made (see Lowlife 46) and I decided that it might make a passable pasta sauce.  But despite enhancing the brew with what amounted to a farmer’s field full of carrots it still failed to taste even remotely like the vegetable and no amount of herbs or condiments could bring out the flavour.  I did eat one helping of the resultant dish and I told myself that it was mind over matter, but the matter in question was stodgy, ghastly and had a confusion of sickly flavours, all seemingly competing against each other.  Not even the Baby Faced Assassin at the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway would have served it up.  So unlike Churchill I had to wave a white tea towel and admit defeat. 

Not even a rousing speech by Churchill could have stirred up the sorry and cheerless handful of inmates I found in the Flagon & Gorses on Sunday when I crossed the pub’s threshold at tea time.  The old place is normally thriving and lively at that hour on the Sabbath but many of the usual Flaggoners had deserted their posts and were absent without leave, which meant that only a few of the regiment remained to solider on.   It took a while for reinforcements to arrive, just in the nick of time before I became too demoralised and dispirited to carry on but things turned from the substandard to the ridiculous when Chilli Willy produced a big box of brand new Christmas trimmings to replace the antique, dog eared and sullied ones that usually adorn the pub during the festive season which have been wheeled out more times at Christmas than Morecambe & Wise.

I’m depressed by Christmas already and it is only the first week of December.  I am sure that putting up Christmas decorations too early leads to bad luck and I do not want misfortune visiting the Flagon, as happened to the Clutha Vaults pub in Glasgow last Friday night when a helicopter tragically crashed into it.  I am sure that putting up the Christmas tree so early would not please the mythical pub dwelling festive ghoul, the Ghost of Christmas P*ssed.

The bad luck brought on by the premature hanging of trimmings in the Flagon might account for the insect bites that have appeared on my legs this week, causing the kind of irritation I used to get from Derek Jameson on BBC Radio 2 in the morning.  One expects insect bites in joyful summertime, especially after being in the great outdoors wearing short trousers, but it is rotten fortune to obtain them in the midst of winter.  I have not even got a flea-riddled pet to blame the insect bites on so I had to launch an official investigation at Codger Mansions.  As regular readers will know the Mansions are a veritable menagerie of insects but usually only spiders, wood lice and earwigs are on show, none of which I would expect to display the Norman Hunter quality of biting legs. 

After scrutinising all corners of the house I found a number of pesky flies in the shower (in fact they must be more like Pecsi flies, as they are small but violent and cause harm like Joe Pecsi’s character Tommy DeVito in the Martin Scorsese film Goodfellas.)  This all culminated in my trailing round B&Q and spending nearly four quid on a special liquid that purports to kill all known life in drains, 100% guaranteed.   All was well the day after pouring the noxious liquid down the shower drain and there was no sign of the dreaded Pesci flies, so I deemed the procedure to be a resounding success.  But this morning, to my horror, I spied one of the diminutive flies nestling on the bathroom mirror and when I approached it to swat it I found that my attempt to kill him and his comrades off had heightened their aggressiveness as he stared at me and menacingly snarled Pesci style, “Are you looking at me?!”

So it is back to the drawing board.  It might be a case of me having to arrange a sit down with the Don of the Pesci fly family to try to reach a compromise on the issue.  The matter is now complex because even people with a basic understanding of insect Mafioso rules know that you can’t simply go around killing a made fly, a Capo, without the nod from the Boss.

Anyway, this insect bite business means my regime of having to use various creams and potions on my body for a variety of ailments and needs has reached ridiculous proportions.  I have eczema so I use prescription cream for that (which costs £7.85 for a tiny tube which is not much bigger than a super glue tube [incidentally you no longer hear stories of people getting stuck to toilet seats in public lavatories after some devilish practical joker smeared super glue on the seat]) and it also means that I have to use moisturiser after a shower or bath; I use lip balm for dry lips, especially in the winter; a permanent athlete’s foot problem means I use a remedy for that (I can practically hear the laughter of ex-football team mates who know that the use of the word “athlete” in reference to me is tantamount to a breach of the Trades Description Act); and now the Cosa Nostra insect bite difficultly means that I am having to slaver Savlon over my legs to relieve the itching.  All in all I get through more cream that a quaint tea shop in Cornwall.

It is not Mafia insects that are irritating the FA and the Premier League at the moment but the increasing use of flares at football grounds, so the BBC announced this week that the footballing authorities are to take measures to enforce their ban on them.   To my mind the ban has come nearly 40 years too late as if flares had been outlawed in football grounds long ago marauding Scottish fans in bell bottomed jeans would not have ruined the goalposts at Wembley in the Auld Enemy international game in 1977.

Trousers are again a sore subject for me this week.  My on-going headache of trying to purchase decently cut (yet cheap) chinos for work lead me to trawling the internet and I hazarded upon the website of men’s clothes retailer Austin Reed.  Reed’s clothes are normally too rich for my peasant blood but they had a sale on and I captured a pair of classy looking chinos at a surprisingly competitive price.  (By the way, I wear the cotton based chino at work due to the eczema problem alluded to hitherto as they are more kind to the skin than formal trousers.)  The trousers arrived on Wednesday only for me to find that despite them being my regular size the waist was marginally too taught for me to wear them but despite this I have decided to keep them to act as an incentive to lose weight.   This is probably a less than sensible tactic given that Christmas and all its associated consumption of food and booze is on the horizon but at least the inspiration of finally squeezing into the chinos will keep me away from the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway.

The purchase of clothing items is always fraught with difficulty for me given that I am what psychologist Elaine N. Aron calls a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), otherwise known as a right fussy b*stard.   That said, when I recently bought a pair of shoes I bought some at the first shop I entered.  A rather fetching pair of black and tan brogues quickly caught my eye and I think that they are the most alluring pair of shoes I have ever seen and given that they were half price in a sale I transacted without haste.  I have had at least a dozen compliments regarding the shoes, which is highly unusual because even if people like something they are usually too miserable to mention it.   The shoes are in fact so pleasant that just to have the pleasure of wearing them it is worth getting out of bed in the morning.

© Dominic Horton, December 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment