Tuesday 31 December 2013

Lowlife 51 - The Loneliness of a Long Distance Drinker

The Loneliness of a Long Distance Drinker

By Dominic Horton

I was weary of the festivities long before Christmas Day and I will be relieved when it is all over and the seasonal drinkers in the Flagon & Gorses have swanned off with their puritanical attitudes to the gym leaving us regular inmates to have a bit of peace and quiet so we can wallow in our miseries.  It will be pure bliss.  The only day really worth going to the pub during the festive period is New Year’s Day (the earlier the better) as it is deathly quiet with most revellers nursing hangovers after staying up past their bedtimes.  One can sit quietly and celebrate the relief of the passing of another Christmas and contemplate the impending year ahead with the hope and optimism that it will be no worse than average. 

The sooner the odd Christmas behaviour of fellow Flagon internees ends the better.  On Christmas Eve people heartily shake your hand and wish you all the best for the big day as if you are about to set off on a sea voyage to Australia whereas in actuality you will see them again in less than twenty four hours for a drink on Christmas Day lunchtime. 

Slowly the humdrum of pub life will get back to normal and although the regiment is always a little depleted in January the stalwart foot soldiers will fight the good fight in order to keep a few much needed pennies flowing into the Pirate’s needy coffers.   As discussed in this column this time last year some heretics abandon ship in January and don’t go to the pub or drink at all but they are forgetting that a pub is for life and not just for Christmas.  Don’t abandon your landlord in his desperate time of need.  The poor old Pirate at the Flagon & Gorses is desperate enough as it is without having to suffer a downturn in custom. 

Some people flirt with alcohol without ever forming a meaningful and long lasting relationship with it and good luck to them as it is a good approach if you can get away with it.  Many years ago the inimitable Alexander Sutcliffe told me that I am a career drinker and I was too busy ordering another round to disagree with him.  But it is nothing to be boastful about, far from it.  It would be better to be swimming in a sea of p*ss than one of booze as at least with the former you can quickly wash it off and restore purity but the latter is a more devious and evasive mistress whose cunning and trickery knows no bounds: “come to me and I will comfort you” she whispers seductively and more often than not I fall for her alluring words only to find that by morning she has fled leaving me forsaken and in need of her succour more than ever.  

Every festive season I think to myself that things will be better this time next year but of course they never are.  In many ways things can only get worse as at least at present I am fortunate enough to have a home, a job and the welcoming retreat of the Flagon & Gorses.   Maybe Mother Teresa is right and that I need to find myself a good woman this coming year. I don’t think I will need to ask ladies to form an orderly queue outside Codger Mansions as any self-respecting women that have read this column will be giving me a wide berth if they value their sanity and I don’t blame them.   At least my faithful teddy bear Alfie remains staunchly loyal though I do get odd stares when I take him out for Sunday lunch.

Funnily enough a couple of people have tried to thrust ladies on me recently, not literally I hasten to add, but I have thus far resisted given the disaster at Philly the Gent’s 50th birthday party in the summer.   Philly had been telling me for a while that his wife Olivia had a single friend who might be suitable for me so at his party the Gent pointed the lady out and I duly introduced myself.  We pleasantly chatted while I supplied her with drinks and we even had a stumble to music, which would have qualified as a dance if it were not for my lack of co-ordination.  Anyway I eventually plucked up the courage to ask the potential suitor if she would like to have a date sometime to which she replied, “I don’t think my boyfriend would be very happy about that.”  

At least I have the Flagon but visits there are not without their challenges, especially when I converse with acquaintances of a certain age.  The youthless have a tendency to say things twice and drinkers generally have a penchant to repeat themselves so as far as ageing drinkers are concerned one tends to know their stories and reminiscences off by heart.   But I would imagine that I am as much of a broken record as anybody else in the Flagon and I am sure you could easily find at least a dozen Flagoners who would testify to this; the poor blighters wouldn’t mind but the anecdotes that I tell them are not even funny in the first place.  I could make it a New Year’s resolution to stop repeating myself but I gave up making resolutions long ago because the more you make the more you break. 

Luckily all the Christmas gifts that people kindly gave me were decent and things of use so the only Christmas turkey was on my dinner plate.  Ung Pirat bought his father the Pirate a DVD of the film Hitchcock, being a biopic of the legendary film director starring Anthony Hopkins, and Jolly D explained to me that when his father went to the cinema to see the Hitchcock thriller Psycho in the 1960’s the manager announced to the audience that the cinema doors were locked so viewers could not leave if the suspense got too much for them.   I suggested to the Pirate that he should lock us in the Flagon so that we can’t escape even if we wanted to.  Once news of our unlawful imprisonment gets out I can just see Amnesty International turning up to get us released and Jolly D shouting out of the letterbox (“f*ck off and leave us alone”.) 

Sadly the presents that I really wanted for Christmas didn’t materialise: an E-Lite pipe and a pair of Superman wellies, the latter of which I saw a toddler wearing in the Cornbow Precinct in Halesowen.  Although I am not trying to give up smoking I would like an E-Lite pipe to enable me to ponder matters like Sherlock Holmes and also point with it when someone asks me directions.  I can’t remember Christopher Reeves sporting a pair of wellies in Superman though any competent superhero would be wise to be dressed suitably if the weather turns inclement as if Superman gets his foot wet in a puddle it could severely hamper his mission to save the world.    Kryptonite is the one thing that that has a detrimental effect on Superman and makes him feel dreadful but it is another radioactive material that has such an effect on me in the form of beef fried rice and curry sauce from the Rhareli Peking.  However, I am glad to report that despite over eating like everyone else that I have managed to give the Baby Faced Assassin and Mr Ping at the Peking a wide berth during the festive period.  I am sure normal business will be resumed in the New Year and I will once more be ruing the evil offerings of Ping the Merciless.

Getting off the train to work on Monday morning was even more demoralising than usual but a kindly pre-recorded voice cautioned me, “when you alight please mind the gap between the platform and the train” but if the owner of the voice had been a student of the psychologist Edward Tory Higgins she might have more usefully advised, “when you get off the train please mind the gap between your perceived self and your actual self.”  In his self-discrepancy theory Higgins explained that if the way a person views himself is different to the way others view him then it can cause psychological distress.  That being the case I should be fine as the Pirate thinks I am a **** and as it happens so do I.

© Dominic Horton, December 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment