Wednesday 27 November 2013

Lowlife 46 – Swimming against the Tide

Swimming against the Tide

Life can sometimes be like swimming to the shore against the tide and just when you get near the shore a big wave comes along and pushes you back from your goal.  On the beach you can see people enjoying themselves, playing games, reading books whilst sunbathing, eating ice creams and they all seem to be laughing and smiling and having a great time so you swim even harder as you desperately want to get there to join them but again a big wave sends you back to whence you were before.  All of this is exhausting but you know you can’t give up as the only other option is to drown, to sink into the deep and cold oblivion.   But if you do eventually make it to the beach it might be night and all of the people might be gone and if you are no longer struggling in the sea time could weigh heavy on your hands inviting thoughts of loneliness, doubt and desolation.   At least toiling along in the sea, striving to swim to the shore, there was hope to cling onto.

As you can see from the above, I have been in a chirpy mood this week.

Willy Mantitt was in a chirpy mood on Friday with it being his birthday but only up to the point of opening his present from his beloved Mrs Manitt, which knocked the spring out of his step as it was revealed to be a full BUPA medical examination, including a prostate check.  Little did Mantitt know that the gift from his spouse would culminate in him being fully exposed in a surgery with a cold handed doctor shoving his fingers up Willy’s aris.   Not my idea of happy returns.   I have heard of people being gifted experience days but this is a new one on me and it is not quite as exciting as getting to drive a Ferrari around Brands Hatch.   The thought of Murray Walker commentating on Mattitt’s prostate check procedure did at least make me titter. 

Titter ye not was the order of the day in the middle of the night on Friday when I was awoke in my bed by chilling screams from my next door neighbour who seemed to be having a nightmare the scale of which put my regular night terrors into the shade.  I haven’t heard my neighbour screaming like that before so my guess is that the phantasm that habitually visits and plagues me at night had one too many and ended up in the wrong house.   We’ve all been there.  Given the success of the phantasm in eliciting a horrified reaction from my neighbour he might stick with him in the future and leave me alone, which would be a welcome relief for me after I have had to put up with his demonic hauntings for the last quarter of a century.  That said my poor neighbour might not have been dreaming at all but he might have been watching the cricket and screeching at the dismal batting collapse by England in first Ashes test match against the Aussies. 

The family of poor Moritz Erhardt have been having a waking nightmare this weak as the 21 year old German died of an epileptic fit after working 72 hours straight in the city for Bank of America Merrill Lynch.  Erhardt’s tragic demise has highlighted concerns that young city bankers are being put under undue pressure to work unreasonably long hours to further their careers.  As I also work for a bank I can feel a wave of concern for my welfare from all my contacts and associates but they need not worry as I do not plan to work three days straight but to stick to my usual time frame for working 72 hours which is roughly a fortnight.    Working seven hours on the bounce is more than enough for me but unlike young city bankers I am destined more for the scrapheap than for greatness and riches.   It is just as well, as I don’t think I would look right in red braces and a handmade suit though the ridiculously big bonus would, well, be a bonus.   

Christmas looms large and the goose is not getting fat and worse, I haven’t even got a goose.   And if I did have such a bird he wouldn’t be a happy chappy living in the bleak garden at Codger Mansions though he would at least get some nourishment if I took him for a walk up the Flagon & Gorses where the kindly parishioners of the pub would feed him with pork scratchings.  

It will soon be time to drag the Christmas tree out of the cupboard for its annual airing.  It is a pitiful sight.  It is one of those synthetic trees that you simply unfold and it already has the lights attached, so like meals from the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway it is high on convenience and low on taste.   Even when enhanced by a bauble or two the tree looks more barren than Duncan Goodhew’s head and standing there wistful and forlorn in the living room it has the appearance of an umbrella that has lost its cover in a violent gale. 

Mention of the festive season brings me onto the Lowlife Christmas appeal.  The horrific and tragic tale of Toby In-Tents tipping a whole bottle of Ouzo down the sink as he “didn’t think anyone would want it” (see Lowlife 37) highlighted the inexplicable phenomenon of people having unwanted booze in their cabinets and larders that is gathering dust, only to be disturbed on the death of the owner or a house move.   If you have any superfluous alcohol in your storage do not leave it unloved, unwanted and abandoned and do not turn it out callously onto the streets but donate it to the Lowlife Christmas appeal so it can be rehoused in a home where it will be cherished an appreciated, namely Codger Mansions.

Despite stories to the contrary in the media, booze, even purchased from supermarkets, is not cheap and a night out in the pub is even more expensive so many people are struggling to afford to go out in these times of austerity.  With this in mind it was with great surprise this week that I learnt that according to the official National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles that sex is on the downturn as apparently modern life is turning people off it.   Instead of the recession leading people to indulge in the free (or at least cheap) act of having a bit of slap and tickle it is actually having the opposite effect.  Dr Cath Mercer, from University College London, said: "People are worried about their jobs, worried about money.  They are not in the mood for sex.”    The study also suggested that modern technologies are also getting in the way of sex as gadget obsessed individuals are busy p*ssing around with their tablets, mobile telephones and laptops instead of fiddling with their partner.  Couples could try to incorporate their gadgets into their sex lives to kill two birds with one stone as mobile telephones do vibrate after all.

The study found that the average person has sex five times a month, which must be once a week and additionally once more for good behaviour.  Chance would be a fine thing.  Apparently even men aged between 65 to 74 have sex on average 2.3 times per month which means that my septuagenarian friends Tomachezki and Harry Stottle are getting it more often than I am.  The 0.3 in 2.3 must account for times when the act is prematurely ended after one of the participants false teeth fall out, being the ultimate passion killer.

The reek of the foul soup that I brewed yesterday would be another passion killer if a lady ever dared to venture over the threshold of Codger Mansions.  Other than a few notable exceptions my soup making prowess is generally pretty good so I was disappointed with myself for making a hash of a veritable cauldron of carrot and coriander soup, which I concocted in order to use up a number of carrots that were on the turn, as I am not in the habit of throwing food away.  In fact if I had made a hash instead of soup it might have turned out better.  I now have the task of trying to rescue the batch of the odd and unappetisingly coloured liquid and I think even the Red Adair of the soup world would struggle to get the situation under control.   In my experience a dish that has gone wrong is almost impossible to successfully turn around.   The main problem with the soup was the lack of carrots and the abundance of coriander but cooking, like life, can be a fine balancing act.   But unlike the daring, legendary trapeze artist Charles Blondin (who amongst other feats tight roped over Niagara Gorge, sitting down half way to cook and eat an omelette) my sense of balance is poor which is why I fall down so often, in the metaphorical and not the literal sense.   But I get myself up, dust myself down and defiantly in the face of adversity start the long and wearisome swim to the shore once again.

© Dominic Horton, November 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment