Wednesday 6 November 2013

Lowlife 43 - It Don’t Mean a Thing if you Ain’t got that Ping

It Don’t Mean a Thing if you Ain’t got that Ping

I bring you news that will veritably make the world shake on its very axis: I had a perfectly palatable meal last night from the Rhareli Peking.   Yes, I repeat I had a perfectly palatable meal last night from the Rhareli Peking.  You might want to sit down and loosen your collar and have a nip of something strong and have a minute to yourself so that this inconceivable revelation can sink in. 

I don’t know what was going on but when I stumbled in the Peking the staff seemed to be having some kind of hush hush conference but on sight of me Mr Ping, the chef, and the two delivery drivers, Thing One and Thing Two dashed into the kitchen out the back leaving just the Baby Faced Assassin to attend to me with his usual Oriental charm and inane grin. 

Instead of simply blurting out the first dish that came into my woozy mind I took the trouble to studiously inspect the menu in great detail, like an optimistic punter examining the race card in immense anticipation before the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket.  I hazarded across a dish that I used to regularly buy from the Marvil House Chinese takeaway twenty five odd years ago when I used to work at Patrick Motors petrol station: chicken fried rice and curry sauce.  With the grease coated clock ticking perilously close to the closing time of midnight, at long last I was about to reveal my order to the Assassin. But suddenly I realised that the last time I had a meat stuff that purported to be chicken from the Peking it appeared to be the flesh from a creature previously hitherto unknown to mankind, or as Doctor Spock might have said to Captain Kirk in Star Trek, “It’s chicken Jim but not as we know it.”  Considering beef to be the safe option I duly ordered beef fried rice and curry sauce. 

Next, the old routine.  The Assassin relayed the order to Mr Ping who cranked up the microwave before playing a BBC soundtrack entitled Man Cooking in a Chinese Takeaway in order that I get the benefit of frying in a wok type noises for authenticity.  On occasion Thing One and/ or Thing Two will even bang pots with a wooden spoon to enhance the masquerade and to drown out the noise of the ping when the microwave stops cooking. Since my last visit Mr Ping must have upgraded his microwave to a more powerful model as the meal was presented to me in the obligatory white plastic bag by the beaming Assassin only two minutes after I had settled down to read The Halesowen News and before I had chance to turn to the court adjudications.  The speed of service in the Peking is only surpassed by the staff of the wonderful Mr Gregg at one his bakeries.

These days if you see a person walking the streets carrying a little plastic bag it could contain one of two things: take away food stuffs or dog poo.  I just hope that dog walkers who stroll down their local take away with Bowser do not get the two bags confused when serving dinner.

On return to Codger Mansions I took the food containers out of the white bag with the same heady mixture of excitement and fear that the intrepid Howard Carter and George Herbert must have experienced in 1922 before they entered the enchanted tomb of Tutankhamun.  To my astonishment and delight the removal of the lids from the two steaming pots revealed what looked like and smelled like a perfectly plausible and edible Chinese meal.  Additionally, the curry sauce was fluid and of a different consistency to the version Mr Ping uses for his beef curry in which you could stand a spoon on end and it would remain unflinchingly immovable.   The sauce at hand poured nicely onto the meal as opposed to falling out of the pot in one gelatinous, fatty lump.  The whole experience was only two fathoms short of a miracle. 

So the meal from the Peking for once wasn’t pants and on the subject of underwear I am glad to report that I have at long last found my missing favourite blue boxer shorts (see Lowlife 39) and I simply could not believe where I discovered them; in my underwear drawer of all places.  They were cunningly intertwined with a pair of decrepit boxer shorts that I never wear, discarded at the back of the drawer, abandoned and unloved like a retired and punch drunk boxer.  I also found the Dead Sea Scrolls, Shergar and Lord Lucan at the back of the drawer but unfortunately I could not find my sanity or the Pirate’s sobriety.

With Kenteke being in Minorca Halloween last week was not exactly top of my agenda and my first instinct was to pop up the Flagon & Gorses as there are plenty of zombies and spectres up there.  Going straight to the pub from work would have been a good idea as it would have given me enough time for the trick and treat calls to die off.  I would have had nothing to give the little blighters anyway unless they had wanted a nip of Aldi Vodka.   But from somewhere I had a bolt of enthusiasm and not only did I purchase the fitting Frankenstein by Mary Shelley to read on the night but I even wrote a poem (On Halloween Night) to recite to Kenteke over the telephone and to inflict on the trick or treaters who dared knock on the door of Codger Mansions.  I purchased sweets to hand out to the kiddies In order to obviate complaints from irate parents that I had given their children Aldi Vodka (instead of a better brand like Smirnoff).  I did ask calling infants what they would do if I requested a trick instead of a treat and I was met with blank expressions and a deafening silence on every occasion, which was also their exact response to my poem.  I didn’t tell the kids as much, as parents these days have the annoying habit of accompanying their charges and standing in earshot of them, but I wanted to suggest that any tricks they planned to have in their armoury should most certainly include the 70’s schoolboy’s principal weapon of dog sh*t.

Luckily the phantasm from my reoccurring nightmare (see Lowlife 42) didn’t pay me a visit at Halloween to turn me into a pumpkin but I did receive unexpectedly educational correspondence from Toby In-Tents on the subject.    Toby explained that nightmares of this type are classified under the generic term sleep paralysis and that such experiences are relatively common.   The feeling of being asleep but being physically oppressed and not being able to move was in folklore believed to be a demon or incubus (for women) or a succubus (for men) and there have been many representations of this in art such as Le Cauchemar (The Nightmare) by Eugène Thivier (1894) and the Nightmare by Henry Fuseli (1781).  The incubus or succubus is a demon who, according to a number of mythological and legendary traditions, lies upon sleepers, in order to have sex with them and possibly to have a child, as in the legend of Merlin the Wizard.  Knowing my luck I will not have a randy succubus in my nightmare but it will be more on the Wizard theme and most likely involve Roy Wood.  And for the record I do not wish it would be Christmas every day.

As ever, Christmas has arrived prematurely in Birmingham City Centre and a large Christmas tree appeared in Snow Hill Square on Monday despite us not even having seen the back of the curious tradition of Guy Fawkes Night.  I was heartened to see that the recent strong breezes had by Tuesday blown the tree down almost as if Zephyrus, the Greek God of the west wind, was displaying his anger at the tree being installed such a long time before Christmas.   I would wager that all Harry Burrows, a nine year old schoolboy from Halesowen, desires for Christmas is a new vacuum cleaner as a short article in Monday’s The Sun (unearthed by Lowlife’s London correspondent Barty Hook in a greasy spoon in Tooting) explained that he has collected some forty examples of the appliance.  Young Harry is simply a sucker for vacuum cleaners.

Collecting is an odd and strangely English phenomenon that I have never quite understood.  Like the legendary music producer Phil Spector my dear friend Alexander Sutcliffe is a collector of decommissioned guns and it is no coincidence that both men are as mad as March hares. I have never quite understood the attraction collecting as the only things that I seem to collect are a string of minor disasters and failures.   Most of the time I struggle to even collect my thoughts.  Now that I have made a tenuous peace with the Baby Faced Assassin at the Rhareli Peking Chinese take away all I want for Christmas is beef fried rice and curry sauce (and maybe a wonton soup for starter) as in the words of the song, it don’t mean a thing if you ain’t got that ping.

© Dominic Horton, November 2013.




No comments:

Post a Comment