Wednesday 20 May 2015

Lowlife 120 – Slidin' & Glidin'

Slidin' & Glidin'

By Dominic Horton

I was very sad to hear of the passing of the blues legend BB King on Thursday, hot on the heels of the death of the Labour party following the general election the week before. BB King was my first love in the world of the blues and so he has a special place in my heart. More specifically it was King's album King of the Blues Guitar that got me into the blues originally. At the time, when I was 14 or 15 years old, Halesowen library used to have a collection of vinyl records that you could hire out (for ten new pence a pop, if I recall correctly) and so I used to try different types of music and artists and I borrowed King of the Blues Guitar as part of this controlled experiment. When I dropped the needle on the first track, Slidin' & Glidin', I instantly knew that it was for me. The album was a compilation of instrumental tracks so at that stage I was yet to have the pleasure of hearing BB's rich and characterful voice but I played the album over and over and was keen to get back to the library to borrow more blues albums. Next I hired a Muddy Waters record, I forget which though I remember I Can't Call Her Sugar was the first track and it was a recording from the 1950's, so I was introduced to the harder edged Chigago blues, which is of course altogether different from BB's velveteen guitar. That was it, I was off and running as a lover of the blues and I haven't looked back since.

The late, great BB King, the Chairman of the Board.
I was intoxicated by Muddy Waters' slide guitar playing and the accompanying sound of Little Walter's harmonica so I saved up and bought those instruments myself and tried to replicate the sound. I didn't have a great deal of success but I must have driven the members of my household mad trying. I sounded less like Muddy Waters and Little Walter and more like Muddy Harmonica and Little Talent.

It is strange how when you revisit books or films that you enjoyed earlier in your life that your experience of them, and how you interpret the work, can change over time: I first read On the Road by Jack Kerouac when I was eighteen years old and at the time I found it to be a joyful whirlwind of electric energy but when I re-read the book a few years ago I found it to be very dark and brooding. The book, of course, had not changed but I had. But music doesn't seem to be burdened with this change of perception and after hearing of BB's demise I dug out the tape that I made of King of the Blues Guitar and it instantaneously sounded every bit the same and as good as it did when I first heard it when I was a youth.

The cassette itself had weathered well and the sound quality is still more than acceptable after all these years despite it being a cheap tape in the first place, so you can keep your ipods and MP3 players, I'm happier having something more tangible in my hands. It was exciting rooting through boxes in my cupboards and unearthing the tape, putting it into the stereo and pressing the play button and hearing the delights of Lucille, BB's guitar, cascading out of the speakers – you simply can't have that experience with an ipod download. Nor can you replicate the thrill of dropping the needle on a much anticipated vinyl record.
Mojo Buford, by request of Toby In-Tents

Years ago, before people had access to the internet, I was desperate to find a record, Blues with a Touch of Soul, by Mighty Joe Young after hearing a track from it on Paul Jones's Rhythm and Blues show on BBC Radio 2 but I couldn't seem to get it anywhere. So I employed the services of a record search agent and many weeks later, when I had all but forgotten about the matter, they contacted me to say they had tracked down a copy of the album in the U.S. It cost me a pretty penny but you can imagine my elation and unbridled excitement when the postman delivered the record. I hastily unpackaged the disc and before even reading the liner notes I put the record on the turntable and readied to play it. But before I settled the stylus down I hesitated as I was suddenly plagued with an unwelcome thought – what if the record is sh*t? Fortunately the album turned out to be as magnificent as I'd hoped it to be and it remains a firm favourite of mine to this day.

Mighty Joe Young.
After King of the Blues Guitar I listened to a number of other BB King albums and started to read about the man and his life so it was with great excitement that I found out that a documentary about BB was to be shown on the television and I could barely contain myself waiting to watch it. But frustratingly on the night of the broadcast my step-father wanted to watch another programme so I was scuppered, there was no video or catch up TV or anything like that and we only had one television set in the house, so I had no means of watching a recording of the programme. We take it for granted these days that we can see television programmes at our leisure by a variety of methods but back then you either watched a show when it was broadcast or you missed out altogether. Things changed later that year when I was bought a black and white portable television to watch the Mexico World Cup, which meant that I could hole myself up in my room, as teenagers tend to do.

I saw BB King in concert just the once, at Birmingham Symphony Hall, and the world class acoustics lent themselves well to King's classy playing and band. But I never got to see Muddy Waters in concert as he died in 1983, when I was just 12 years old, but I did get to see one of his harmonica players, Mojo Buford, at the Bear Tavern Blues Club in Bearwood in the early 1990's. While Tom Holliday and I were waiting for Mojo to start the gig Tom made favourable comments towards a tall, leggy, long haired blonde woman who was standing in front of us with her back to us, accompanied by her boyfriend. It transpired that the “boyfriend” turned out to be none other than the internationally renown rock star Robert Plant (of Led Zeppelin fame) and the “woman” turned out to be a fella. Once Tom found out this information all of a sudden his comments about the person turned less favourable.
Mud Morganfield. 

Also a few years ago I saw Muddy Waters' son, Mud Morganfield, at a gig at the Jam House in Birmingham. When the support act were playing I looked over my right shoulder and to my delight there was a man watching the band who was the spit of Muddy Waters so I immediately knew that he must be Mud Morganfield; I enthusiastically shook his hand and welcomed him to Birmingham and said to him that I hope that he enjoys the show. Mud said nothing but just smiled and nodded his head. The support band wound up and it was time for the main act, so the emcee took the stage and roared into the microphone, “And now from the South side of Chicago, Illinois, USA, direct from the Windy City, give a warm welcome to the stage the man himself MR MUD MORGANFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Whilst clapping vigorously I looked over my right shoulder again to see Mud standing there, waiting for him to rush to the stage. But he stood perfectly still. Then from my over my left shoulder another fella proceeded towards to the stage, high-fiving with members of the audience as he went – it turned out that the man who I had earlier shook hands with was not Mud Morganfield at all but a regular punter there to watch the show, just like me.

It goes without saying that Hugh Queensbury and Dustin Scoffman, who accompanied me to the gig, were highly amused but not for the first time in my life I was embarrassed to say the least. You could say that the incident gave me a bad case of the blues.

© Dominic Horton, May 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment