Monday 9 March 2015

Lowlife 112 – Out of Order

Out of Order

By Dominic Horton

The theme of last week's Lowlife was food and after being delivered safely home from the Flagon & Gorses last night (Sunday) by Chilli Willy I decided to round off a triumphant footballing weekend by having a celebratory Asda Sweet Chilli Chicken pizza (“cooks from frozen in just 12 minutes.”) When things are going spectacularly well life has a cunning habit of delivering a smack in the face to bring you down to Earth with a bang and so it was last night. Just as the cooking procedure was reaching its culinary culmination to produce a workmanlike but more than satisfactory pizza the handle of the oven door decided to fall off, rendering the over door to be permanently open. Given the lateness of the hour I secured the oven door with sticky tape (after letting it cool down first of course – I am a fool but not a complete and utter fool) and decided to fathom out how to fix it in the morning. But this morning bought no immediate answers to the conundrum. I suspect the answer to the problem may lie in the use of super glue, which is a substance that terrifies me as I fear sticking my fingers to something and having to spend the rest of my life with my Aston Villa mug attached to my hand is not an attractive prospect.

The Frymaster General, typically eating a fry up. 
The oven and grill being out of bounds this morning was a grave disappointment as I have a few sausages to cook, which are an over spill from the weekend. I didn't want to fry the sausages as they would be too greasy for my tender constitution so the only other alternative was to spark the George Formby grill into action but that would cook the bangers to the other extreme and suck all of the fat out of them leaving them dry and lifeless. So I made do with cooking an egg in the microwave for a sandwich. I learnt years ago via the trial and error method that you have to pierce the yoke before cooking an egg in the microwave or it will explode like a packed Holte End at Villa Park having witnessed the team scoring a goal against West Bromwich Albion.

After years of detailed experimentation I have finally settled on cheap frozen pizzas as my post-pub food of choice. The post-pub pizza (PPP) has many benefits: they are cheap (you can pick them up for as little as a quid each), they are quick to cook (if you have a fully functioning oven that is), they are infinitely more healthy than your average takeaway and most of all they keep me away from my nemesis, the Baby Faced Assassin at the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway.  Incidentally, when I walked past the Peking last week the Assassin oddly was running up and down on the spot behind the counter, which means that he might be trying to make his dead time at work useful by exercising. More likely he had regretfully eaten one of his own meals which had given him loose bowels and he was trying to hold a movement in as Mr Ping the chef was on the karsi.

When I lived with El Pistolero at No 2 we used to cook fishfinger curries on return from the pub and we fried the fishfingers for speed. The frying pan that we had – which was more battered than the fishfingers – only accommodated 9 fishfingers so we either had 4 ½ each in our curries or we had to toss for the prize of having 5 instead of 4. If my dear departed friend Alfie C was in attendance he would treat us to a post-pub delicacy which he called bubble and squeak. He would take whatever was in the freezer and defrost it in the microwave, which was often so full that it's contents could not turn. He would then mold the various foodstuffs together before frying them into a kind of pattie which he would then put into a sandwich. The quality of the bubble and squeak was variable as it would depend on what was in the freezer at the time and on how many drinks Alfie C had imbibed on the evening in question.
My out of order oven.

Together with the Woodcutter, Alfie C would spend a fair proportion of his leisure hours at No 2. The Woodcutter enacted the most impressive post-pub eating performance that I have ever witnessed when he ate a bag of fish and chips whilst he was asleep and snoring and intermittently singing the odd lyric from Elvis Presley's She's Not You. 

Once the Frymaster General and I returned to No 2 from the Imp's stag trip to Torquay in a state of dishevellment only to find Alfie C and the Woodcutter on our sofa drinking vodka and watching television. To this day I have no idea how they got in the house. Alfie cooked bubble and squeak that night, which was the last thing I needed in my condition, and I joined them in the lounge for vodka, which was a decision that I regretted in the morning when I was in such a delicate state that if I was a Catholic they would have given me the last rites. The Frymaster advised me that if I wanted to survive that I had to eat, even if I couldn't face it. As an act of kind charity the Frymaster made me a bowl of chicken noodle soup and for once he managed to cook something without frying it, which was virtually unprecedented given that I have witnessed him fry pasta, fruit and even salad. Fried salad is something that even grossly obese Americans have not thought of. Small doses of the soup lead me on the slow road to recovery and ever since then I have heeded the Frymaster's sage advice when I have woken in a less than optimum state.

Beanfeast, by request of Toby In-Tents
Around the time of the bubble and squeak and fried salad episodes Alexander Sutcliffe and I discovered powdered instant Chinese curry sauce, which was surprisingly good and I suspect that it is the very stuff that the Rhareli Peking and other Chinese takeaways use. No 2 was a bit of a revolving door of waifs and strays and quiet a number of my associates lived there over the years. Sutcliffe was so taken with the instant curry sauce that he had it for every meal, with a few mushrooms and onions and a bit of rice. At the time Sutcliffe was a very faddy eater and he would eat a particular foodstuff exclusively for a fortnight before getting fed up with it and moving on to something else. On a trip to the supermarket he once bought a whole sack of spuds as he planned to eat nothing but baked potatoes for the foreseeable future. On that trip his flatulence was so appallingly ripe that he managed to clear the whole supermarket in ten minutes flat – even one of the cashiers fled the building.

You knew when Sutcliffe had drunk a skin full on a Saturday as to counteract his Sunday morning hangover he would blast out Led Zeppelin at full volume. On the Sunday evening he had a strange practice to chase away the booze terrors: he would chill two bottles of white wine but instead of savouring them over the course of the evening he would guzzle them in 20 minutes flat, leaving him boozeless and only having instant apple tea to drink, which was another one of his fads.
El Pistolero

When I lived at No 2 I was in my 20's so I still had a student mentality to food so I could live off such staples as frozen microwave kebabs (two for £1) and Beanfeast, which was a dehydrated mixture of vegetarian soya mince in either a curry, chilli or bolognase flavouring and when cooked it produced a kind of gruel which even Oliver Twist would turn his nose up at. The soya used to play havoc with my stomach and it made me trump constantly but I was told by Still-in-Fjord that once my system got used to the soya that things would settle down. But things didn't settle down and on average I used to fart 30 times an hour, so that in addition to the Frymaster's feet and frying stenches made for an interesting odour. But Beanfeast was very cheap so I stuck with it, despite the protests of my housemates.

All this food talk is making me hungry and I just fancy those sausages but as the oven is out of order I'll have to make do without. When I pop out to the pound shop to buy some super glue I could always nip into Greggs for a consolatory sausage roll, which will at least make the task of fixing the oven a bit more palatable. 

© Dominic Horton, March 2015.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

Email: lordhofr@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment