Friday 7 November 2014

Lowlife 95 – A Book at Lunchtime

A Book at Lunchtime

By Dominic Horton

I haven't read aloud in front of a others since I was a schoolboy (except that is for reading bedtime stories to my dear son Kenteke, the occasional speech at a wedding or funeral and a brief poem at the recent Flagon & Gorses' First World War night) but I found myself doing exactly that this week at a shared reading group run by The Shared Reading Company (http://thesharedreadingcompany.org.uk/). It was all a bit last minute as I had intended spending the whole day at my desk working on a non-Lowlife writing project but cabin fever got the better of me at lunchtime and I knew that I needed to get out otherwise I would start to talk to myself. Again. And it always ends in an argument.

Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.
I remember Auntie Bernie telling me about The Shared Reading Company's groups a few weeks ago and I discovered that they were meeting that very afternoon at Quinborne Community Centre, a couple of miles up the road, so I revved up Helen (my diminutive car) and off I went. It wasn't until I parked up that I started to feel nervous about the thought of reading in front of others and I was a little worried that I would make a t*t of myself.   The community centre was a veritable hive of activity and it housed a Café so I thought that I had better buy myself a bottle of water in case my throat dried up whilst reading. But my growing nervousness had already made my throat a little dusty and as a consequence I struggled to get the words, “a bottle of water please” out when I was asked what I wanted by the assistant. Not a great start to proceedings.

I entered the room where the group was meeting but found only one other there, who turned out to be Nuala, the person who runs the group (otherwise known as a shared reading facilitator.) I feared that if there was to be only the two of us that I would have to do an awful lot of reading aloud and that I should have bought two bottles of water. But others soon joined us and there was six of us in all and after introductions we started to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, a book which won the Whitbread prize for fiction a few years ago.

Nuala read the first couple of chapters, and as you would expect she is a skilled, experienced reader and charmingly her Birmingham accent was pronounced on occasion. Once Nuala had finished she asked if anyone else would like to continue the reading and I immediately volunteered so as to get my turn out of the way. Years of reading Roald Dahl and Dr. Seuss and the like to Kenteke transpired to be good preparation and I read well enough, despite my thoughts drifting off on a couple of occasions deciding whether to have tarka dal or beef broth for tea. For the record the beef broth won the day.
The Pirate, doing what he does best.

I cooked the tarka dal last Friday after having a nightmare the night before in which a sinister voice had insistently told me that if I do not cook the dish first thing the following day something seriously bad was going to happen. I attended the Birmingham Beer Festival on Friday afternoon and I feared that if I didn't make the tarka dal and they ran out of beer the blame would be put squarely on me and that I would be hounded out of the city. Charlie Chaplin once said “a day without laughter is a day wasted” but in the case of my co-drinker the Pirate you can substitute the word “laughter” for “beer”. So if the festival had run dry it would have been an immensely grave matter.

So in the limited time that I had on Friday morning I cooked the tarka dal in a Challenge Anneka style frenzy and if only Roy Castle and Norris McWhirter were still alive by now I would have an entry in the Guinness Book of Records. I put the tarka dal in my slow cooker smug in the knowledge that it would be perfectly cooked and ready to eat on my return from the beer festival. When I opened the front door to Codger Mansions in the evening in a starving and merry state I expected to be greeted by the agreeable aroma of the Punjab but instead I got a caustic whiff of charred food. I had made the schoolboy error of not remembering that lentils need a great deal of hydration and I had underestimated the amount of water required in the dish, resulting in the dall being incinerated.

Although I assessed the tarka dal and decided that it could be rescued I didn't have the enthusiasm to do it at the time so I decided to order a pizza off just-eat.co.uk from Antonios, which permanently has a buy one get one free offer on all pizzas. I must have been more trigger happy than Dirty Harry because when the delivery driver turned up he had four pizzas for me. I must have erroneously double clicked on my order. Resultantly my diet last weekend consisted almost entirely of pizza, which I ploughed through stoically as I hate to waste food. This did nothing for my waist line and so this week I have been on a soup and banana diet in an effort to again make the wearing of trousers a comfortable experience. I did eventually resurrect the tarka dal and when I ate it on Wednesday it represented a refreshing change from soup and bananas.

Charlie Chaplin, by request of Toby In-Tents.
The foodstuff at break time at the reading group was chocolate digestive biscuits and everyone deserved a little treat with their cuppa after reading admirably. John read with a rich and deep Irish accent, Heather with a more received pronunciation; Neville orated with an appealing Caribbean lilt. Farah is from Iran and part of her motivation to attend the group is to improve her grasp of English and at times she admitted to struggling to follow the text when others read. But when it was Farah's turn she read wonderfully well in a beguiling Arabic voice.

Overall I had a very enjoyable experience with the reading group and I later reflected on why that was. It was good to read aloud and listen to others reading as it seemed to focus one's attention more on the words and it had a calming effect. The periodic informal discussions that we had about the story seem to bring the book to life and it was interesting to hear others interpretations of what the text meant. It highlighted the point that books leave a lot to the imagination, which is why reading is so much more enriching than watching a film, for example. The variety of styles and accents of the readers also celebrated difference and therefore it breeds an acceptance of others, a tolerance. Finally, and importantly, there was free tea and biscuits.

Talking of biscuits I think that I will stick to buying them from Sainsburys after an unsatisfying trip to one of their rivals last week. I had long read about and listened to shoppers championing smaller budget supermarkets, so I decided to give one a go. My shopping list consisted of a leak, some shallots, wholemeal bread, bananas, margarine and some cheap yogurts. The shop was busy and I struggled to find a space on the car park despite it being midweek and it was a little bit too chaotic for me in the fruit and veg aisle.

Norris McWhirter.
I was disappointed to find that they only sold leeks in packets of four, which is three more than I needed. There were no shallots to be seen and a surly assistant confirmed that they had run out. The bread turned out to be like cardboard, even after being hydrated by margarine, which was a task in itself as despite me not storing the marg in the fridge it was so hard that it was virtually unspreadable. I ended up giving the bread to the ducks down Leasowes park but even they turned their beaks up at it citing, “If you think I am lowering myself to eat that cheap bread then you are quackers.” The bananas has an acidic aftertaste and I condemned them to be inedible. The yogurts were fine.

The woman at the checkout scanned the goods and slid them down the counter with terrifying speed and had her hand held out to receive my cash before I was even a quarter of the way through packing. I was left in no doubt that it was unacceptable to remain at the till beyond a couple of seconds after your purchases were scanned. It was almost as if you were being told that a contractual stipulation of you buying cheap food in the store is that you have to pack up and f*ck off immediately so that the cashier can attend to antagonising the next customer.

A more disturbing thought than a return trip to the budget supermarket is that of a reading group using this column as material. Half the group would be asleep and the other half would walk out in disgust, leaving the shared reading facilitator thinking, “If I see that Horton in the Flagon & Gorses I will be sure to buy him a pint as even though Lowlife turned out to not be a popular choice at least I can go home now.” Toodle pip.

© Dominic Horton, November 2014.

* Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

* Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

No comments:

Post a Comment