Sunday 2 November 2014

Lowlife 94 - Taking the Peace

Taking the Peace

By Dominic Horton

Rajagopal is an Indian peace activist who follows the Gandhian tradition of non-violent protest, especially mass marches, to highlight injustices and to pressure for change. He is the President and founding member of Ekta Parishad, a federation of approximately 11,000 community based organisations, and it campaigns for land rights for India's tribal people by dialoguing with government at national level and mobilising villagers at the grassroots level. Rajagopal is known by his first name only so as not to be associated with a caste (the Indian system of social stratification.) I might start to go by my first name only so as not to be associated with myself.

Fran Wilde looks on as Rajagopal meets
the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Shafique Shah
In 2012 Rajagopal joined 50,000 landless Indian farmers on a march that Ekta Parishad called Jan Stayagraha (which means “Keenness to Truth”) but on Monday he found himself on a peace walk in Birmingham city centre with a somewhat smaller gathering including yours truly, a little hungover – I was a little hungover that is, not Rajagopal; I would imagine that he is either teetotal or at best a moderate imbiber. My slightly tainted state was accounted for by the Flagon & Gorses selling off the remnants of the weekend's beer festival ales cheap on Sunday which were complemented by Fudgkins and Alexander Sutcliffe getting everyone to drink large sloe gins again (see Lowlife 60, Life in the Sloe Gin Lane.)

Fran, who organised the walk, introduced me to Rajagopal and others as a writer, the first time I had been introduced to anybody as such. I felt quite proud of the writer tag but it backfired a bit later when one of the walkers quizzed me and asked if I was a novelist or a journalist but I had to admit to just writing this blog, which sounds a bit naff and lightweight and made me feel a bit fraudulent being labelled as a writer. I suppose the form of a writer's work is not the defining issue though but the quality of it but I suppose that even that is questionable in my case.

Rajagopal stood up to greet me and physically he is quite diminutive but what he lacks in height he certainly makes up for in presence; he has dedicated his life to nonviolently improving the lives of the disadvantaged in Indian and he radiates a kind of calming peace. It was an honour to meet him. They say that you can judge a man by his shoes so I cocked a sneak at Rajagopal's. He wore a comfortable but hardy pair of brown lace-ups which in my expert opinion were purchased from Clarks, exactly the right choice of footwear for an internationally renown peace walker but of course I would praise his shoes as they were not too dissimilar to my Hush Puppies.
Rajagopal, by request of Toby In-Tents.

On the walk Fran treated us to her usual approach of pointing out things of interest, putting her own enlightening spin on them and asking for the group's thoughts. As it was a peace walk the things that Fran pointed out and told us were linked to the theme of peace and at one point Fran asked us to think about what peace means to us. As a sufferer of anxiety I wanted to talk about my pursuit of peace in relation to that but ironically I was too anxious.

Normally a walk in the city centre would mean a pub crawl around the usual haunts but I am not sure that would have gone down well with Rajagopal as I can't imagine that The Good Beer Guide is the preferred reading material for the average Gandhian peace activist. He might be missing a trick there as most Good Beer Guide pubs are fairly peaceful places and my regular retreat, the Flagon & Gorses, is no exception as there is no invasive music and I have not seen what you would call a fight in there (although a few of the Flagon's inmates regularly grapple with the consciences.)

We walked to the new Peace Hub on Bull Street which is run by the Quakers and a personable young Quaker named Peter gave us in interesting pep talk about the hub and about Quakerism, explaining that the four key principles of the religion are peace, equality, integrity and simplicity. I should have guessed the last of the principles as I enjoy eating the spin-off Quaker Oats product Oats so Simple.  Like Oats so Simple Peter seemed like a warm and nourishing character. Later in the week I was telling someone how impressed I was with the concise neatness of the four key principles of Quakerism but when I was asked to recite what they are I couldn't remember any of them beyond peace, which I could hardly forget given the theme of the walk. I must have a selective memory that only remembers the things that matter in life such as the directions to the Flagon & Gorses. Unfortunately I didn't remember that drinking sloe gins on top of beer is not a wise idea.

During the walk Fran was insistent that we had to ensure that we arrived at the Council House on Victoria Square at 1515 hours sharp and when we got there it was apparent why we must be punctual as none other than the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Shafique Shah, was waiting to greet us dressed in his Mayoral regalia. The Mayor was accompanied by a small posse of cronies who must act as security and to generally fuss around him. One of the Mayor's entourage must have been the head of security as he stood a few yars away from the rest of the group and constantly looked shiftily and warily around in order to identify any clear and present danger. But the poor chap limped and walked slowly with a walking stick so if there had been a threat to the Mayor's life I am not sure what use he would have been unless he was able to fire poison darts out of the bottom of his stick like a Bond villain. The Mayor might want to revise his security arrangements as Monday also happened to be the day that the Prime Minister David Cameron was allegedly attacked by a runner in Leeds.

Rajagopal addresses a crowd of 25,000 people in 2007.
Fortunately I have no need for a security guard but I could do with the services of a private detective as I found myself investigating a mysterious Lowlife related incident this week. On Monday I received an email from my old Friend Lolly relating to a discovery by a work colleague of Mrs Lolly, who is a bra fitter at Marks & Spencer's in Merry Hill. The email read as follows:-

On Thursday last week, one of Bev's [Mr's Lolly] colleagues came running out of the fitting  rooms with a handful of papers that had been left behind by a customer. The papers included various receipts and work related information but no personal details were evident. However, much to Bev's surprise, one of the A4 sheets was in fact - wait for it - an issue of Lowlife. Now, either your literary appeal has reached new heights within the social echelons, or you are spending your redundancy money on a succession of transgender ops! Either way I'm sure you will continue to receive great support.”

I have started a full blown investigation into the matter and I conducted a series of interviews and inquiries in the Flagon & Gorses on Wednesday evening. The purchaser of the brazier must be a Flagoner as I publish paper copies of this column and put them on the bar in the pub as many of the Luddite inmates there are not conversant with the ways of the internet. A number of women have been eliminated as possible suspects but no one can be ruled out and I have widened the net to include the Flagon's menfolk as who knows what they get up to once they retreat back to their respective dwellings.

Only Philly the Gent can be absolutely disregarded as a suspect as he was away sunning himself in the Canaries and besides he's one of the few Flagoners sensible enough to not read this piffle. If anyone has any information on the matter you can speak to me in confidence at the investigation's head quarters of the public bar, the Flagon & Gorses. It would not surprise me if the suspect is a man who is too embarrassed to come forward, not about wearing a brazier but about admitting to reading Lowlife.  The case continues.

If the thought of a gentleman drinker in the Flagon wearing a bra isn't scary enough Friday saw Halloween descend upon us. As I knew I would be spending Friday with the ghoulish characters of the Pirate, Harry Stottle and The Coarse Whisperer at Birmingham Beer Festival I thought I would mark Halloween on Thursday night with my dear son Kenteke, so I decided to read him a series of children's ghost stories by candlelight in the living room at Codger Mansions. At the end of the eerie stories I put Kenteke to bed and I asked him if he was ok as I didn't want him being too scared at bedtime but he said he was fine. But afterwards as I was sitting alone in the living room I realised that it was in fact me who was scared stiff and I was sh*tting myself. The ghost stories were good and Kenteke and I had both thoroughly enjoyed them but foolishly I had not anticipated them taking the peace. 

© Dominic Horton, November 2014.
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com.

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

No comments:

Post a Comment