Friday 27 June 2014

Lowlife 76 – Reelin' & Rockin'

Reelin' & Rockin'

By Dominic Horton

Since taking voluntary redundancy from work my shopping habits have changed for the better as I am now able to visit the butcher, the baker and the candle stick maker instead of nipping over to Tesco Express in my lunch hour at work. The produce I buy from small businesses is tastier, cheaper and fresher than its Tesco equivalent and generally locally produced. I also have the satisfaction of my pennies not going into the sky rocket of Mr Tesco, though his firm seems to be ailing a bit at the moment, according to reports in the newspapers. Like a Tesco pork chop, the supermarket's Chief Executive Philip Clarke is expected to get a grilling from investors at their forthcoming annual meeting.

An ASDA "Whoops!" discount sticker
The explanation as to why big supermarkets are beginning to feel the pinch might lie in some out of date, marked down basil that I bought from Asda this week. Before you ask, the basil wasn't discounted because it was Fawlty. The yellow discount sticker read, “WHOOPS! Was 70p now 43p.” This left me puzzled as to the inclusion of the word “whoops” as it is usually used when a mistake has been made. I then realised that the “whoops” was an admission by the supermarket that they have made an error in setting their prices so high in recent years and they now regret it as a big slice of their business is increasingly being nicked by cheaper, smaller retailers such as Lidl and Aldi. Clarke will have to report to Tesco's bloodthirsty investors, “Our profits are decreasing as other, less expensive supermarkets are spreading like wildfire and Aldi goods they sell are cheaper so the dividends on your shares are likely to be Lidl. Boom boom.”

A trip to Worcester last week to attend the opening night of the Literary Festival reminded me that when I lived there as a university student in my early to mid-twenties shopping was not always a routine affair for me. In my second year of studies anxiety and depression had crept up and enveloped me to such a degree that I was virtually debilitated so shopping was an horrendous and terrifying experience where danger and threat used to seemingly lurk on every aisle and at every checkout. Food prices currently are such that the danger of visiting a supermarket these days is that you will come away with scant change from an Ayrton Senna despite only buying so few items that they do not even fill your basket.

Such was my fear of shopping as a second year student that I used to try and visit the supermarket as soon as it opened or just before it shut so it would be quiet but even then it was poisoned with shoppers. I would have loved to be able to shop in an empty store, so Supermarket Sweep would have been my idea of heaven, just without Dale Winton smirking at me with his gleaming teeth and Persian orange boat race. Sometimes the experience of shopping was too overwhelming and I left the supermarket without buying a thing, not even discounted basil.
The Plumber's Arms, Worcester by request of Toby In-Tents

My mental condition became progressively worse and demons moved in with me and they used to live in the shadows of the high corners of my room and swoop down like bats, hovering above my head, whispering to me in hushed, menacing tones. I called the demons the Lords and they used to control me. The Lords wore suits and their main function was to be the voices in my head. I didn't know I was suffering from extreme anxiety and depression at the time (amongst other things most probably) or even that I was ill but I knew that things were drastically bad and that I needed to seek help, from somewhere, from somebody.

The Lords and I decided to call an Emergency General Meeting to discuss the crisis but we only just managed to scrape together a quorum as a few of their number had nipped out to the local pub, the Plumber's Arms, to torture other mental illness suffers drinking there. The Lords had to do such bits of moonlighting on the side as apparently their remuneration for being voices in the head was not very good. When they popped out to the Plumber's they promised that they would be back soon and that they would not have a pint but they had been gone a while. All that malicious whispering in my ear must be thirsty work so I guessed that they had got stuck into the best bitter. The remainder of the Lords and I decided to plough on with the meeting without them.

The opening night of the Worcester Litfest with the back of
the author's head (my best side) in the bottom right of the picture
A motion was proposed that I should venture out into the daunting world beyond the house to obtain help. The motion was passed with a majority vote. It was not a unanimous vote as one dissenting Lord (there is always one as they say) protested as he was concerned that if I got better they would have to move on to be the voices in the head of another poor soul, which he did not want to do as he said that I didn't shout and scream at the Lords as much as other people that they have plagued over the years. I took his point and treated it as a back handed compliment but the other Lords at the meeting shouted him down and said that above all else they didn't want the union on their backs for negligence of a victim. They went on to explain that even the voices in the head game had become increasingly PC in recent years.

I had previously seen a poster in the University that said that they had a counselling service and I noticed that one of the counsellors was a lecturer of mine, named Ellie, so I plucked up the nerve to book an appointment with her as she seemed a bit less intimating than most other people in the world. The Lords decided to stay at home using the thin excuse that they had to listen to Gardener's Question Time on BBC Radio 4 as one bloke from down the Plumber's that they were filling with trepidation was a horticulturist and they needed relevant subject matter to torment him with.

I didn't know what to say at first when I sat in front of Ellie despite her kindness, empathy and humanity so I just decided to cry instead, blubbering out the odd word here and there. The seat was a comfortable one near a window ledge, which held a plant like an aspidistra with stiff, pointed leaves. The sharp leaves of the plant were digging into the back of my head but I was too helpless, timid and overwhelmed to ask if I could move the seat so I just put up with it. So to compound my mental cataclysm I was also being attacked by an irritating triffid.

On Ellie's suggestion I called my doctor who booked me in to see an NHS counsellor but I had to return to Halesowen to do this. The night before getting the train back I had just about as much as I could stomach of the Lords and to block out their sickly voices I guzzled down half a bottle of whisky and played Chuck Berry full blast on a loop on my headphones. When I saw the counsellor the following day she wasn't named Maybellene or Carol but I did tell her that I was Reelin' and Rockin'.

The counsellor found me too hot to handle so she referred the Lords and I onto a psychologist called Dolf, who was a cheerful middle aged, balding South African with a convivial countenance. Given the graveness of my situation my first appointment with Dolf seemed too light-hearted and I thought that if he was going to try to make me better by just being jolly that it was not going to work. After a string of sessions with Dolf he declared in his expert opinion that I was sufficiently recovered so like a dove of peace he released me back into the world. He summarised his thoughts with the brief advice, “remember that you are a good person and be brave.” “That's it?” I thought, as naïvely I expected Dolf to cure me. After periodic courses of therapy over the years, it finally dawned on me that I could not be cured, but that I could adequately manage my anxiety. It was only recently that I began to realise the wisdom and relevance of Dolf's concise words.

Despite my best efforts I have never been able to completely shake off the Lords and periodically they stop by to see me. But their visits have become less frequent over the years and they have gradually been replaced as the voices in my head by the utterances of the inmates in the public bar of the Flagon & Gorses. On return to Worcester I noticed that some of the city had changed. There were some new buildings, others that had changed use and some pubs had closed down or been re-named which is not a prudent move as we all know that changing the name of a ship or a public house brings with it an ill wind. But it was essentially the same old city and despite a bit of mental tinkering and fine tuning here and there equally I am still the same Dominic Horton. And despite all my flaws and shortcomings I wouldn't change who I am for the world.

© Dominic Horton, June 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment