Friday 13 June 2014

Lowlife 74 – Screw it Yourself

Screw it Yourself

By Dominic Horton

To say that my DIY skills are not the greatest would be an understatement akin to comparing the forthright Pirate to Coronation Street's dithering Mavis Riley. So my challenge this week of assembling a flat pack desk and office chair was a daunting and arduous one for me to say the least.

Flatpack Assembly, by request of Toby In-Tents
Things started badly on Monday night when a burst of enthusiasm lead me to finally open the flat pack boxes only to find that both a flat-head and a Phillips screwdriver are required for the procedure, neither of which I have in my “tool box” which is an old ash tray sparsely populated by a tape measure that the Mexican gave me, a hammer that I acquired somewhere along the line and a few screws and old batteries. Prior to me intrepidly delving into the boxes they had been sitting in the corner of the room full of latent menace, with me starring at them at length hoping the self assembly fairy would pop by and do the business.

I went on a quest to procure screwdrivers but as DIY is not high on my list of priorities in life (unlike relaxing in the Flagon & Gorses) I didn't want to part with too many shekels, so it was off to the pound shop. I got a bit side tracked looking at the goods in the shop, especially as I found that they now sell groceries but I realised that a lot of the food items were more expensive than they are in the supermarket, so don't be lured folks by the deceiving line of, “it's only a pound”.

The recent Queen's Speech informed us that the government are to soon introduce a 5p charge on plastic bags but I am not sure how this will go down in Halesowen whose shopkeepers and cashiers are keen plastic bag enthusiasts; they have a plastic bag ready before you can even begin to say, “I don't need a bag thank you” and after you have uttered such astonishing words they become aggrieved at having to remove the items that you have purchased from the bag. Sometimes items are placed in a small bag before being put into a secondary larger bag, like a plastic bag version of a Russian doll.
The Mastermind Chair

When the 5p levy becomes statute and people refuse to pay up it will cause chaos in the shops of Halesowen as shopkeepers will not be able to stop their instantaneous reflex action of bagging items. The time spent un-bagging goods will cause unprecedented delays and queues at checkouts the town wide. The love of plastic bags must stretch outside of Halesowen and be borough wide as although Dudley Council recently issued the residents of Furnace Hill with a black wheelie bin each for general waste, the accompanying booklet suggests that waste should first be put into a bin liner or plastic bag before being deposited in the bin. Which makes one wonder what was the point of issuing the plastic wheelie bins in the first place.

The 5p surcharge on plastic bags could spell disaster for many of the poorest people in Britain as given that plastic bags are currently free they are the only thing that some people can afford to eat. This week Inequality Briefing (www.inequalitybriefing.org) reported that the number of people receiving three days or more of emergency food from Trussell Trust food banks has risen from 26,000 in 2008/9 to 913,000 in 2013/14, which I am sure you agree makes worrying reading.

The wonderful stained glass windows in
the chancel at St Martin's church, Birmingham
The queen of the plastic baggers was a woman on the checkout in Blackheath's pound shop who was so quick on the draw in bagging items that if she was involved in a wild west shoot out duel with Wild Bill Hickok he would stand no chance. She would shoot off his hat and the edges of his drooping moustache before he had even got his finger on the trigger. When I used to visit the pound shop in Blackheath I used to mischievously ask the bag queen how much a certain item is and she would always instantaneously reply, without any sign of irritability, “pound aye it.”

Before I entered the pound shop on Wednesday I fortified myself by popping into the Wetherspoons with the Phantom but as it was first thing in the morning the fortification came in the form of a hearty breakfast and not a pint, though I confess to having been tempted with the latter, especially as Thornbridge Jiapur was being served. I resisted the lure of the beer pumps but as ever there were plenty of people enjoying a morning drink. The morning drinkers were exclusively coffin dodgers or late middle aged and as none of them had the look of degenerative drinkers I mused on what their routines are after leaving the pub. After a pint or two their motivation levels for the remainder of the day must not be at their highest so I assume that it is a case of back off home for a nap before Bargain Hunt comes on BBC One at lunchtime.

The trip to the pound shop was successful in terms of screwdriver procurement and for £1 there was a handy little pack containing both types of screwdrivers that I needed, so at 50 New Pence each I thought that they were a bargain. Back at Codger Mansions, armed with the screwdrivers I set about assembling the desk only to find that the instructions were effectively in pigeon English; they must have been written by the Baby Faced Assassin at the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway as a side line to supplement his income, in between serving customers. The instructions read like a script from the third rate BBC 1970's sitcom Mind Your Language but the manufacturers of the desk did not offer a thousand apologies in this regard.

Eventually like the code breakers of Bletchley Park I began to decipher the instructions but I was dismayed to learn that the next part of the operation was a two person job, so being on my own there was only one thing for it and I had to drag Alfie the teddy bear out of bed to assist and he was less than HP as he usually likes to spend 24 hours a day in the sack. Through determination, guesswork and sheer luck Alfie and I got to within two small screws of completing the job when the inevitable happened and the pound shop Phillips screwdriver started to wither. The wear and tear to the highly malleable metal at the head of the implement rendered it useless. I tried to complete the job with the flat-head screwdriver but it was useless so I decided that the two little screws could not be that important and consigned them to my ash tray tool box. So the chances are that by the time I finish writing this column the desk will have collapsed like a house of cards and I will be off down the pound shop again for another shoddy screwdriver.

Thankfully, compared to the desk the chair was easy to assemble and it was all done within a matter of minutes as the makers had the decency to include an alum key so the annihilated Philips screwdriver was not required. The mock leather desk chair looks like the one used in Mastermind so I keep expecting Magnus Magnusson to pop into the room from the kitchen and ask if I would like a cup of tea, to which I would answer, “no thank you ….... in fact on second thoughts, go on then.” Magnus would be obliged to reply, “Sorry I have to accept your first answer.”

The trauma of the flat pack assembly was offset by a visit with the Mexican the previous day to St Philip's and St. Chad's cathedrals and St. Paul's and St. Martin's churches in Birmingham, an odd day out for two self professed atheists, you might think. Having done some prior research the night before, Mex explained to me that St Martin's church contained William De Bermingham's effigy, which is the oldest monument in Birmingham, dating back to 1325. But when we arrived we found the effigy in a dark, dank part of the church, covered in dust looking a little unloved. The magnificent stained glass windows in the chancel showing some of Jesus's miracles more than made up for the disappointment of the De Bermingham effigy.

Talking of miracles, the World Cup has now kicked off of course and inevitably people are asking whether England can win it for the first time since our victory at Wembley in 1966. Well, if I can put up a flat pack desk unaided using a substandard pound shop screwdriver then anything is possible. You think this week's column is all over? It is now.

© Dominic Horton, June 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment