Friday 14 March 2014

Lowlife 61 – Fast Food, Slow Cooker



Fast Food, Slow Cooker

By Dominic Horton

You have to question your sanity when you continue to do things that on balance are not beneficial to you and all the evidence is weighted in favour of it not being sensible to undertake the activity in question. The Baby Faced Assassin at the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway had his evil way after I left the Flagon & Gorses on Sunday evening and as a consequence of the oriental supper I had so much salt and Monosodium glutamate coursing through my veins on Monday morning that I had a Ready Brek style radiation glow. Despite the chill in the air I had to remove my coat walking up Furnace Hill for fear of overheating; I had no fear of overeating on Sunday night and shoveled all of the Szechuan beef and fried rice down my gullet to placate my dissenting stomach. I once again requested extra beef to boost the meal’s vegetable/ meat ratio and Mr Ping the chef fulfilled my wishes without the Assassin requiring any extra expenditure on my part, which was gentlemanly of him.

I ended up in the Peking in a desperate late night scramble for sustenance as earlier in the evening I intended to stop off for a nibble on the way to pick up Harry Gout as I thought I deserved a treat after completing a grueling run; instead of a treat I popped into McDonalds, the only available food stop by Gout’s house. The fast food “restaurant” was so unexpectedly busy, with customers frenziedly clamouring around the counter, that it looked like the scene of a food drop from the back of a United Nations truck to desperate, starving persons in a disaster zone, so I gave it a skip. I fully intended to have a pork pie in the Flagon & Gorses to compensate for my burger-less state but the events of the evening overtook me and the thought of the pie of pork became lost in the wilderness of beer and bonhomie.

After a couple of hours of taking root in the bar with Gout and Chompa Babbee, who was making a cameo appearance, in strolled a folk duo who brazenly asked Carla Von Trow-Hell behind the bar if they could get their instruments out: Carla was getting excited until she saw that the men were referring to their fiddle and banjo respectively, that were resting dormant in their cases. Carla acceded to the musicians' request and once they had satisfied their priority of getting a drink they struck up in no time at all, launching into a pleasant enough rendition of the age old folk tune Marie's Wedding. Within seconds I found my foot voluntarily tapping and it wasn't just to get my blood circulating to ward off the onset of gout in the ball of the toe on my right foot. I even sang along to a few lines of the song until a disturbed Harry bade me to cease such discordant crooning with a pleading look of disgust.

The folk duo continued to entertain the inmates that were present within the bar and they even played Fisherman's Blues by the Waterboys, a favourite of mine that reminds me of my Fairfield Drive days living with El Pistolero, when we would listen to the song after having a sherry or two, bottles that is. Into the pub ambled Drew Monkey, as he has a habit of doing on a Sunday evening, and he parked himself down next to the folkies and was pally with them, which is no surprise as Drew is a bit of a musician himself, having more strings to his bow that Glen Campbell's twelve string guitar. Being unable to resist the temptation, after a gargle of beer to water his vocal chords, Drew started to warble with the duo and his singing of The Wild Rover lead to pints being quickly downed and punters heading for the exit and in no time at all he had the pub cleared. Standing at the bar, Frank Henstein decided to gallantly stick it out but at every opportunity he made the excuse of going in the back room to collect glasses for the bar staff just to get away from the din.

As the evening wore on the performers played the tender and sentimental Irish folk standard, Carrickfergus, and with me being adequately refreshed it made me maudlin, so it was with a tear in the eye that I departed for the Rhareli Peking, humming the doleful song, much to the bemusement of the permanently grinning Baby Faced Assassin.

Not only did the Peking's finest enhance the abhorrent and wholly unwelcome drink terrors on Monday morning but it also sucked the majority of fluids out of my body leaving me drier the Tutankhamen’s mummy. It was in this distinctly disagreeable state that I was faced with a pigeon flying directly at my head whilst completing the short stumble from the train station to my workplace. Fortunately, the pigeon ascended just in the nick of time and flew inches over me, which was just as well as it would have been embarrassing walking into the Flagon & Gorses with the pigeon's beak firmly implanted in my forehead, with me asking for a pint of bitter for me and another one for the pigeon.

This week has been characterised by trips to the doctors but they were not in connection with the effects of the Sunday night supper from the Rhareli Peking. First, it was off to the surgery Friday last to start the ball rolling to get a bit of physiotherapy to ease the back pain which is the product of stiffness caused by sitting immovable at a desk for the last sixteen years of my working life. It is odd to think that such a sedentary activity has lead to the troublesome injury. I was assessed by a new, fresh faced doctor and he began his deliberations, “well, at your age ….......”. Although I had considered myself to be a relatively young man on entering the surgery I felt ancient and infirm all of a sudden and it was a watershed moment if ever there was one.

Second, it was back to the doctor's on Wednesday as since I suffered from the mild-graines before Christmas (see Lowlife No 49, Lord of the Mild-graines) I have never properly recovered from it and things took a turn for the worse this week with the spots in front of my eyes becoming more prominent, the tinnitus in my ears becoming louder and me generally feeling crook, as the Aussies say. The doc was unsure about my condition so referred me for blood tests.

I just wanted to read my book in the surgery waiting room but I kept getting distracted by the bothersome television in the corner that produced an unrelenting flow of medical information and health advice. Television pictures seem to be piped into everywhere nowadays, like some nightmare vision from Orwell's 1984 and it is rare you get a minute's quietude anywhere, which is why the Flagon & Gorses is such a welcome haven of tranquillity with its absence of music (notwithstanding the above), gaming machines and televisions (save a rare broadcast in the back room). One's toilet is also a serene sanctuary but there was disaster at my Codger Mansions bolt hole this week when the unruly toilet seat finally gave up the ghost and re-classified itself as broke proper. I hastily purchased a new seat (aqua coloured for a change) but the screws on the old seat have rusted so I can't get it off, meaning that now each trip to the karsi is so fraught with peril that I have to put the life guard on standby when I go for a Tom Tit.

To add to my tribulations my new (second hand) car Helen started to rapidly lose power on the way back from the doctors and I decided to see if I could get her to the garage before she came to a grinding halt but as the garage is up Gorsty Hill, which is steeper than the North side of the Himalayan mountain K2, it was not my brightest idea and in her enfeebled condition Helen declined making the ascent, spluttering before her wheels ceased to roll. The cost of a new alternator was partially offset by me picking up a slow cooker for a bargain £19.99 (reduced from £54) on an emergency trip to buy some tomato sausages, which reminded me of the downfall of my vegetarian days when I was living at Fairfield Drive.

I was a fairly shoddy and indisciplined veggie but the dedicatedly carnivorous Frymaster General had made it his business to get me back to eating meat, so knowing I was at cracking point he cooked eight tomato sausages, ate four and a half and pushed the plate across the table towards me, beckoning me to sample them with by raising his eyebrows and nodding his head. I succumbed to the porky temptation and the sausages tasted like pure heaven, which is a lot more than can be said for the wares of a certain local takeaway, which will remain nameless, but which I am sure you can work out for yourself even if you lack the powers of deduction of Inspector Poirot.

© Dominic Horton, March 2014.
* Email: lordhofr@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment