Friday 7 March 2014

Lowlife 60 - Life in the Sloe Gin Lane

Life in the Sloe Gin Lane

By Dominic Horton

Being greeted by a hangover at the start of the week is nothing new to me but I have had fewer pleasant ones than the variety that I had on Monday morning and the pleasantness was due in large part to the sloe gin that I was drinking with Fudgkins in the Flagon & Gorses the preceding evening.  Fudgkins had been drinking sloe gin with Alexander Sutcliffe two weeks prior so I had Sutcliffe to blame for my consumption of the drink even though he was in absentia, which was criminal on his part given the barrelhouse atmosphere that developed during the course of the evening.  Washing the sloe gin down with pints of the moreish Elland 1872 Porter (at a heavyweight 6.5%) was a winning combination but it was acting as too strong a relaxant, so I stepped down the ante and downgraded to taking the porter in black and tans instead.  I used to drink black and tans with Sutcliffe when we used to loiter in the Royal Oak as teenagers and it was a tactic we developed to make the best that we could out of poor quality mild and Guinness and it at least made things bearable.  

I always associate drinking pints of black and tans with snow as when I used to work at Patrick Motors petrol station (which is a whole other story) heavy snowfall befell the earth on a lonesome winter Saturday and under severe pressure from my colleague, the Wild Man of Brummio, the gaffer shut the station mid-afternoon on account of us having no customers.  I called Sutcliffe post haste and arranged to meet him in the Royal Oak to have a little taste of beer and to shelter from the inclement weather.  Having a 4 X 4 (rare in those days) the Wild Man offered me a lift and as he wanted to have a drink himself at his club he put his foot down and we skidded off the forecourt, heading down the road.  

We found ourselves at the island by the Oak but our progress was halted by a little old dear who was driving at two miles an hour in a Metro.  Panicking that his eight hours drinking time was dwindling away the Wild Man took the drastic action of driving right over the island to the other side, leaving tyre tracks in the grass, and after booting me out of his motor he took the same root back directly over the island shouting expletives at the crawling Granny as he went.  Sutcliffe and I then proceeded to drink black and tans until it came out of our earholes, as young men are prone to do, and a blues duo struck up in the bar and it felt like Christmas. 

On arrival at the Flagon, early Sunday evening, it was clear that some of the inmates had drank a few and that they were in the mood for a few more.   Although Frank Henstein carries his drink well I could tell he was full of mild as he was starting to communicate less by speaking and more by hand gestures; his daughter-in-law Toe-Knee Tulips was making a rare appearance at the drinking side of the bar and was in a very relaxed state and seeing that Agent Fudgkins and I were enjoying the sloe gin so much she elected to join us.  Frank Henstein accused the long suffering barmaid Carla Von Trow-Hell of having a nice ar*e and Neddy La Chouffe was so taken with the whole bonhomie of the evening that he decided to ditch the car and he reappeared from stage left and got involved with the black and tans.   Neddy’s is a professional motor car tinkerer and in his expert opinion the “Helen” style number plate on my new car could be worth a couple of hundred quid.  With pound signs in my eyes I ordered another round of sloe gins.

All hands clamoured round the L shaped bar like whelks on a rock face.  Fudgey gave me a book, The Little Grey Men, by BB and Carla immediately nicked it and Toe-Knee claimed second dibs on it, so by the time I read the children’s book to my dear boy Kenteke he will be a fully grown adult.   Philly the Gent compensated for my loss of the book by lending me a DVD, Captain Phillips, a film about pirates, and such a piratical infusion was needed as the Pirate himself was AWOL, resting upstairs in his quarters. 

When supplying us with a steady flow of drinks Chilli Willy took the unfamiliar tack of being nice to us and the general consensus was that we didn’t like it and all internees agreed that he should return to his usual sullen, curt demeanour.  Being cunning though Willy stayed in the game by changing tactics and he informed us of the fascinating life and times of one of his distant forebears, the eminently colourful Chalkley Beeson who was a businessman, lawman, and cattleman and owner of the famous Long Branch Saloon, Dodge City during the wild west era.  Beeson was Sheriff of Dodge City.  Get that Sheriff of Dodge f*cking City; imagine that on your CV – I can see a smarmy, marble smooth suit asking in an interview “what makes you think you are qualified for the job Mr Horton?”.  “I was the Sheriff of Dodge City, now if you don’t give me the job I am going to blow your f*cking head off.”  Beeson drove noted gunman Clay Allison out of town.  Beeson knew Wyatt Earp.  Beeson had a big moustache.  Beeson was without a shadow of doubt a right rough and tumble character.  “This town ain’t big enough for the both of us” tough.  Two lumps of grit in his coffee.   The Milky bars were not on me but I did order another round of sloe gins.

The Chalkley Beeson story was Chilli Willy’s finest moment since he cooked the deluxe and luscious food on the Jewish food night and he can live off the story well into his dotage.   Meanwhile, in strolled the inimitable Colly Coren and surveying the Wild West Midlands sight around the bar he must have thought he had walked into the Long Branch Saloon in Dodge City in the 19th century.   Coren fell short of greeting us with “howdy” but despite his sobriety he did have enough sport in his bones to join in with the general carousing and high spirited horseplay.   Willy and Carla did not slide our sloe gins down the long bar top as they would have got stuck on the beer towels and there is a ledge half way up the bar anyway:  if they had so, it would have been to my detriment as Fudgkins would have been quick on the draw and had my drink down his throat quicker than you can say Wild Bill Hickok.  The rest of the evening was hazier than the early morning mist over Tombstone but it ended with Willy and Carla giving me a lift back to Codger Mansions and Carla generously shoving an unwanted bottle of wine in my hands that was clanging around the motor.

Back to Monday morning.  Someone must have broken in during the night and cooked a curry and left all the dishes strewn across the kitchen, it couldn’t have been me as I can remember it.  A small piece of green chilli wedged between my teeth gave the game away though – not an unpleasant reminder in morsel form of the night before.  If I see a morsel of food on the kitchen surface I always instinctively eat it even if I don’t know what it is, a bit of bonus food; I have fallen foul of it a few times when it was not food at all but a foreign body that tasted acrid.  Unwashed dishes, poor form, not like me at all, I always manage to tidy up no matter what condition I am in post Flagon, hang my trousers up etc. 

Sundry bits of paper were strewn over the table, potential dates Carla had given me for a Flagon beer junket, notes for this column, a reminder that I need to look into buying a mattress.  Despite everything I am a shining beacon of organisation.  I need a new mattress because of a bad back; my existing one must pre-date the three day week and is less supportive than a parent whose child has just said that they are running off to the circus.   Have you seen the price of mattresses? I was aghast when I looked, it will have to wait.  Willy Mantitt, who admittedly has a few quid (not all of which has been acquired in a condign fashion), said that he spent three and a half grand on a top of the range mattress stating that you spend a third of your life in bed and that it was the best money he ever spent.  I suppose you wouldn’t hesitate to lay out three and a half large on a motor if you had the cash knocking about, so for once Mantitt is onto something.

I dragged my hangover onto the train to get to work and out of a dark corner of my eye I saw a headline on the inner pages of the Metro that a passenger was reading, which read, “Why does anything exist at all?”  Such a poser was too much to handle in the circumstances so I just thought to myself that if in the final reckoning I fail to evade the clutches of the sinister devil I hope at least that they stock black and tans and sloe gin in hell.

© Dominic Horton, 2014.

* Email: lordhofr@gmail.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment