Wednesday 24 July 2013

Lowlife 28 - Blitzkrieg Rockery


                     Blitzkrieg Rockery

In order for them to convalesce, I am treating my internal organs to a short break from drink as they are overdue a holiday. They usually holiday at home but this year they are demanding they go away; the pancreas favours Biarritz, the spleen Bognor, the heart the newly part-liberalised Albania, the liver anywhere hot (to dry out) and the kidneys have a difference of opinion between Falmouth and Pörtschach, Austria (to attend the World Bodypainting Festival.)   By the time my organs have finished bickering about where to go the break will be over and they will back in the Flagon & Gorses encased in my body, dutifully processing alcohol.

The Flagon’s chilli pickled onions are sublime but after becoming addicted to them a couple of years ago I had to wean myself off them as I was eating far too many and the problem is that they have a chronically adverse affect on the freshness of one’s breath, extending even to the day after consumption.  I am now considering taking up eating the pickles again to ward off the increasing amount of work colleagues who are invading my personal space during conversations and entering into what American anthropologist Edward T Hall describes as one's intimate space. It has got to the stage that when a colleague sits down next to me for a discussion I have to protrude my knee out at an unnatural angle in front of me to act as some kind of a buffer to keep the advancing person at bay.  The irony of the whole situation is that I mostly have nil success in my romantic life in luring any ladies into my intimate space, even though I have overcome the chilli pickled onion addiction.

I should pour the used vinegar from the Waggon’s Chilli pickled onions onto my garden borders to stop all plants and weeds growing.  I find it baffling that most people want things to grow in their gardens as this just means more work weeding and pruning and trimming and the like; I actively do not want things to grow in the garden to make my life easier.  The King in waiting Prince Charles famously talks to his plants in the misplaced belief that it will make them cultivate whereas I firmly instruct all vegetation in my garden to not grow under any circumstances.  The plants and weeds at Codger Mansions repeatedly ignore my desperate pleas and sprout forth quicker than Homer Simpson’s chin stubble, especially the horrid, stringy weeds in the rockery (rockery is probably too grand a word to describe what is no more than a load of half enders randomly assembled in bibble and nub end laden soil.)  I should blitzkrieg the damn thing with super strength weed killer which would then make it a blitzkrieg rockery.

I am sure that the nature loving Prince would enjoy the proliferation of spiders, beetles, earwigs and other insect beasties that lord it around Codger Mansions as though they own the place.   When I first moved in to the house I used to expel the insects from the house like a nightclub bouncer evicting troublesome drunks, but now I just let them roam free around the property as, like the Prince of Wales himself, they are harmless enough and they at least keep me company.   There are commonly that many beasties in Codger Mansions that it would put the insect house at Dudley Zoo to shame and at times there are more spider webs (despite me clearing them out on a daily basis) than in the Addams Family’s karsy.   Given that my dwelling is like a safari park, on the rare occasions that I have visitors I should charge them an entrance fee.

Luckily my wonderful son Kenteke is in the pro-insect lobby and I myself enjoy their company a great deal more than the aforementioned work colleagues who invade my personal space.  If I were to tempt any lady into my intimate space they would not last long in Codger Mansions as once they encountered the beer mat sized spiders that tend to lurk in the bath they would run screaming out of the front door like Little Miss Muffet, meaning no whey-hey for yours truly.   

In order to amuse themselves the insects often organise games and they mostly favour cricket, which they play in the games room, which was formerly the dining room until the dining table was ousted at Christmas to house Kenteke’s pool table.   The poor old spiders keep getting out lbw given the amount of legs that they have and the slow moving earwigs are commonly run out.   I unceremoniously brought a limited overs game to an end the other day when I accidentally and fatally trod on a beetle who was fielding down at long leg.   The only solace for the late creepy crawly was that in the last innings before his demise he scored a credible 43 not out in a last wicket stand of 107 with a free scoring money spider, who only came in at number 11 as he had a traumatic morning being chased around the garden by next door’s cat.

Talking of cricket, Willy Mantitt told me a wonderful story about the competitive nature of my close friend the Imp, who sadly and tragically died recently.   Mantitt’s work cricket team were short of a man and being the person he was, the Imp dropped everything and to make up the eleven.  In the limited overs league in question if a batsman makes 35 runs he has to retire but he can return to the crease if all other batsmen are out and there are overs left to bowl.   As the teams in the league are composed of firms that transact business together the games are usually played in a Corinthian spirit with all hands observing gentlemanly cricketing civility.

Willy’s team’s opposition had a star batsman who laid on 35 runs in no time at all and as the game progressed the opposing team were eight wickets down and needed five runs to win. The last two batsmen were simply shocking and their number 11 dollied the ball straight to Mantitt for the simplest of catches and if Willy held the catch it meant that the star batsman would return to the crease.   As the ball was in the air, falling towards Willy’s cupped hands, a loud shout went up from first slip piercing the tranquil quietness that often adorns village cricket grounds.  The shout came from the Imp who bellowed, “Drop the f****g thing Willy!”

Alas, observing the correct etiquette Willy caught the ball and received much back slapping from team mates but the Imp was not at all impressed.   The Imp rushed over to Mantitt, and pushing Willy’s boss out of the way he exclaimed, “Willy you are a clueless ****, now we are f*****d.”   Willy’s boss pulled him to one side and suggested the Imp was not entering into the spirit of things.   Within half an hour all were in the bar with the Imp at the centre of proceedings as always, with everyone hanging on his every word in laughter, Willy’s boss included.   

Willy’s cricketing story of the Imp was almost trumped by an anecdote that my crony Tom Holliday relayed to me in the Flagon & Gorses this week.   Holliday’s father, Mr Holliday Snr needed a replacement flat roof at his property and Tom suggested Unlucky Virgil, a roofer friend of ours.  Virgil visited Holliday Snr to give an estimate for the work and he had his girlfriend in toe, who is Thai in origin and short in stature.  Holliday Snr offered Virgil and his girlfriend a cup of tea which they accepted.  While Virgil was up his ladder assessing the roof, Holliday Snr surreptitiously slipped Virgil’s girlfriend a chocolate digestive biscuit and whispered to her the immortal words, “don’t tell your dad” !!

Postscript

My sincere condolences go out to the Abdul whose father died unexpectedly this week.   It is a very sad time and a deep shock for the Abdul but I hope that in time he can take comfort from the fact that his father passed away quickly without any prolonged sufferance. 

In happier news the Pirate is now back home recuperating at the Flagon & Gorses after his few days of hospitalisation following heart difficulties last Sunday.  On arrival at Russell’s Hall hospital on Monday I found the Pirate to be in a single room in the cardio ward, which was a sensible move by the medical staff given the rank state of the Pirate’s flatulence.   Mind you poor Ung Pirat, the Pirate’s son, had to suffer his father’s sulphurous emissions all afternoon and evening.  The Pirate’s liver and pancreas must have wondered what it had done to deserve a few days off from being bombarded with Nottingham Don’s Pale Ale and cream cakes, which like the Pirate himself, are naughty but nice.

© Dominic Horton, 19th July, 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment