Monday 1 July 2013

Lowlife 25 - A Brillo Pad, Two Baked Beans and a Pickled Gherkin



A Brillo Pad, Two Baked Beans and a Pickled Gherkin

I have hit a new low this week by acceding to a request by a Lowlife reader to replicate the private parts of a person known to us both, using a brillo pad, two baked beans and a pickled gherkin. The errant requester insisted I photograph the creation thereafter for inclusion in this column.  The reader in question will remain nameless, as I promised her that her identity would remain confidential when she served me the pint in the Flagon last night before she pinched a fag off her partner Chilli Willy.

It wasn’t a particularly late night in the Flagon last eve and I even got a lift home off the kind hearted Chilli Willy but on returning back at Codger Mansions I foolishly stayed up watching the film Green Card, starring the enigmatic Gerard Depardieu, finishing off the second bottle of brandy that I bought off Philly the GentDepardieu looked youthful, almost fresh faced, in the film but it was filmed in 1990, so 23 years ago now when he was 42, a year older than me.  Even though I am in surprisingly good fettle for my age, all things considered, I have not been accused of being fresh faced for a while.

Chilli Willy most probably offered me the lift to compensate for nearly killing me earlier in the evening by insisting I eat some chilli chocolate that he had in his possession. Willy had two batches of the chocolate, one mildly spiced and another hotter than a peppered sprout (to quote the lyrics from Jackson by Johnny Cash and June Carter-Cash) but he got the batches mixed up and offered me the hot version before its milder counterpart.  Although I compared Chilli Willy to mafia contract killer Luca Brasi in Lowlife 22 I would advise him not to use the poisoning method as he would most likely get the meals mixed up and erroneously kill himself instead of the target.

My late supper last evening was poor, even by my standards, constituting of a boiled egg with hot pepper sauce and pickled gherkins.  In order to stomach the gherkins I had to divorce my thoughts from the reason why I had acquired them.  I then indulged in my recently developed habit of falling asleep on the sofa, only to be woken by bird song at dawn before retreating to join my faithful teddy bear companion Alfie in the Codger Mansions Presidential Suite.  Alfie was less than happy that I was having such a decadent time for a Monday and when I stirred for work this morning I found him lying on the floor by the bed, Geordie Peacock style.

Geordie Peacock was played by Daniel Craig in the poignant BBC drama serial Our Friends in the North and Craig of course has gone on to play the secret agent James Bond, appropriate as Chilli Willy’s chilli chocolate left me shaken not stirred.  The appealing blended Scotch Whisky Chivas Regal was of course one of James Bond’s favourite drinks and a bottle of the tipple in question was presented to me by my wonderful little son Kenteke on Father’s Day on Sunday, proving that my training of him has worked.  Making sense of my anarchic life is sometimes challenging but the dots always join together if one looks hard enough.

The weekend saw the addition of a resplendent new hanging basket at Codger Mansions, which will most likely be half inched in the near future if past experience is anything to go by. With the work on the front wall now complete and with Liam Redwood having fixed the letter box, the external appearance of Codger Mansions is looking better than ever. Which can only mean that disaster is lurking menacingly around the corner.

Sunday last saw a rare excursion from the Flagon on the Sabbath, with the Abdul, Weston Super-Leeds, Toby-in-Tents and his girlfriend, the lovely Samuka Dudlovski, in toe. We attended a Steve Ajao's Blues Kings gig at the Prince of Wales in Birmingham and what a wonderful afternoon it was, being an old fashioned pub gig, with a packed out bar and people dancing to the music, even though it was only late afternoon.

By the end of the gig Super-Leeds, Toby-in-Tents and Samuka were lost in battle leaving just the Adbul and yours truly standing, or wobbling rather, having had more drinks than we had realised.  After some impromptu solid sustenance the Abdul made his acquaintance with Halesowen’s most famous son, the highly influential nineteenth century politician and economist Thomas Attwood, by sitting next to his statue that adorns the steps of Chamberlain Square in Birmingham

The Adbul was wearing an awful T-shirt as he had asked his daughter to buy him a T-shirt with a wolf on it for Father’s Day.  As Abdul is a West Bromwich Albion fan his daughter missed a trick as she should have bought him a Wolves jersey.  I took the opportunity to take a snap of the Abdul sitting by Attwood's statue and in the resultant photograph he looks like he is playing the part of the relaxed tourist whereas in actuality he had just had eight pints together with as many roll ups, followed by a Big Mac and fries.

Despite his name my associate the Frymaster General never cooked fries (better known as chips in Anglo Saxon) when I had the misfortune of sharing a property with him in Fairfield Drive.   Fortunately the décor and general appearance of the Fairfield Drive dwelling was infinitely better than the Frymaster’s old flat in a less salubrious part of Halesowen where it was said that all the residents were either drug dealers or drug takers.   The Frymaster did not have a bed, opting to sleep on the sofa and the sole chattel in the bedroom was an abandoned shopping trolley.   The living room had the appearance of an 18th Century doss house and the wall paper was hanging off the walls, with bare plaster in places.   When the Frymaster moved into the flat the council foolishly gave him £200 to decorate it but he invested all of the funds down the bookies and in the pub in the course of the weekend and not a penny saw the inside of the till at the B&Q. 

I remember the dawning horror of waking up in the Frymaster’s old flat many years ago in a state of inverted sobriety and being offered a cup of tea for refreshment.  It transpired that the Frymaster only had a solitary mug (which had been relieved of its handle) and he was clean out of milk and sugar, so the experience was not quite shaping up to be like high tea at the Ritz and I was thinking that the tea might not be such a good idea.   The straw that broke the camel’s back was that one of the Frymaster’s pubes was nestling in the mug, so I made my excuses and declined the char leaving Earl Grey rolling in his grave.   Early Grey, being Prime Minister in the 1830’s, was the author of the Reform Bill of 1832 and I was left in no doubt that the Frymaster’s tea making utensils, stocks and procedures needed radical reform.

In order to rescue the Frymaster General from such squalid conditions I invited him to move into Fairfield Drive with Still-in-Fjord and I as it just so happened a room had become free in the residence.   In the absence of anything better to do we decided to brew beer in a small room at the back of the garage and we called the brewery The Scotch Egg Puritanicals.   
The worst job whilst brewing was after the first fermentation in the bucket transferring the beer into a barrel for the second fermentation.  This was because in order to draw the beer from the bucket into the barrel you had to suck a pipe and often you got a mouthful of the foul liquid, so to be equitable we took the job in turns.  It was the Frymaster's turn one particular Monday and he was struggling to draw the beer down the pipe into the barrel below and he was moaning as a consequence.  Still-in-Fjord walked into the kitchen at that moment and he could hear us but not see us and it must have been with great disgust and bewilderment that he heard me exclaim to the Frymaster, “for f*cks sake, just get down on your knees and give it a good hard suck.”

Presently, Dick the Hook would not benefit from the Frymaster General’s cooking techniques or from lashings of the substandard beer that the Frymaster and I used to brew, as he revealed to me recently in the Flagon that he is on a diet due to a waistline that is expanding quicker than the Roman Empire in the second century.   Due to his diet the jocular Dick was torturously restricting himself to one pint of beer only but he still had time to describe to me the fascinating contents of a book that he had recently read, Life of Pi by Yann Martel.   Dick explained that he was reading books as a poor substitute for drinking beer but he had very much enjoyed the book nonetheless and was now looking forward to seeing the film.    From behind the bar the amiable Donny Darkeye had been eavesdropping on the conversation and he interjected, “I have seen Life of Pi and I can tell you it is a wonderful film but I fell fast asleep after 20 minutes.”  Which is a contradiction in terms if ever I have heard one. 

Postscript

Many congratulations to my correspondent and associate Willy Mantitt and his wife, the lovely Mrs Mantitt, on the birth of their second child, Charlie James Mantitt, who entered this world recently weighing in at 7lbs 14 oz.    The birth of Charlie is clearly a wonderful event in its own right but regular readers of this column will also know that it marks the official end of Mantitt’s self imposed sobriety, pending the arrival of the child.  I use the word “official” as in practice the weak willed Willy broke the booze ban within 48 hours of it coming into force and continued to flagrantly disregard his promise thereafter, as predicated by the author. 


© Dominic Horton, 28th June, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment