Monday 10 June 2013

Lowlife No 22 - Fifty Shades of Sufferance



Fifty Shades of Sufferance

Poor old Willy Mantitt, who is (so far) stoically sticking to his ill conceived but admiral pledge to not drink from 1st June until his second child is born, which is due at the end of the month. His promise culminated in him having to drink non-alcoholic lager at a barbecue, on the Sabbath as well, which in my estimation compounds the woeful misery of his situation by tenfold. I vowed to Willy that I would think of him many times today when I undertake my Flagoneering, one lament for his sorry state for each pint that I quaff in the Pirate's Pleasure Palace.  Flagoneering, the act of drinking in my holiday home of the Flagon & Gorses, is much like mountaineering but without the mountains, the rope and the crampons. It rarely feels like an uphill struggle in the Flagon, though at times the air can become rarefied, especially if the landlord, the Pirate, drops one of his avalanche-like stink bombs, one of which I had the misfortune of experiencing last evening.

As Willy has got rid of his Nobby Stiles (see Lowlife 20), his newborn daughter will be born to this earth to a sober and pile-less father which represents a good start to life for any child but if I were a betting man (which unlike my mentor, Jeffrey Bernard, I am not) I would wager that one of Mantitt's first acts on returning home from the hospital after the birth will be to savour a glass of the refreshing and delightful drink limoncello, being his favourite tipple.  If Willy complies with his covenant of sobriety the welcome contents of the glass will never have tasted so sweet.  After the happy event of the wee Mantitt introducing herself to the world if Willy informs me that he has complied with his pledge of dryness I will at first be amazed but also in admiration of his new found will power.  This will be quickly followed by a dawning realisation that he is a barefaced liar.

Talking of Willies, after Chilli Willy lost his bet to me regarding the completion date for the renovation works at the Flagon his determination is now such that he seems to have magically moved the project on even in absentia, with him and his beloved, Carla Von Trow-Hell having been on holiday this past week. The exciting development was revealed to me as I approached the pub last eve when I noticed that the building is now proudly sporting colourful new hanging baskets, which is entirely fitting given that the Pirate, is a renown basket case. Such was my surprise at seeing the resplendent baskets that I involuntarily exclaimed to myself, “blooming hell.” I thought momentarily that I had been transported from the Stourbridge Road into Shangri la itself. Given his ability to dictate proceedings from afar Chilli Willy is not unlike a Mafia don, though given his Lincolnshire quirks he is more like the Oddfather than the Godfather. As Chilli’s frame is comparable to Luca Brasi, Don Corleone's fearsome enforcer in Mario Puzo's book The Godfather, I'd better watch what I write about him as I may well end up sleeping with the fishes in the Dudley No 2 canal.

Alexander Sutcliffe joined me for a drink on Saturday evening, in order to recover from his recent trip to Falmouth and I made comment on the hanging baskets to him. Such was Sutcliffe's eagerness to wrap his chunky fingers around a pint that he said he had not noticed the hanging baskets at all.  Given that his powers of observation are at best negligible, Alexander is not a man that I would want to be accompanied by if I ever find myself as the lead in an American cop series consuming coffee and doughnuts on a steak out.  To his immense credit though Sutcliffe is without exception always good drinking company, the pub being his natural environment (or so David Attenborough explained in the popular BBC television series, Lowlife on Earth.)

On Sunday to celebrate my success of finally securing a cheap tin opener and to get over the harrowing experience of having to go shopping, I popped into the Flagon for refreshment and to see what’s what.   In the light of invaluable help that Fudgkins has given the Pirate recently, the Pirate described Fudgey in gushingly glowing terms and referred to him in aggrandised fashion as a “saint”.   I suggested that if we are to treat Fudgey as a saint we need to have a beatification.  In the past many people have wanted to beatify Fudgey to a pulp but he always wriggles away in imp-like fashion.   Bob being clean out of holy water, we decided we would use lager for the beatification procedure as we did not want to waste any of the decent beer.

I thought Fudgey was being beatified on Tuesday when the sounds of choir boys annoyingly rang around the office emanating from the television in the staff room, but it turned out that it was a ceremony to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s coronation. Such is this country’s obsession with tiresome soap operas that I originally thought it was a bash to mark the 60th anniversary of Coronation StreetMaybe the Street and Queen Betty could hold a joint celebration which would end with our ruler dancing at the disco to One Step Beyond with Eddie Yates.  

Late on Sunday evening in the Flagon Drew Monkey explained that a helicopter had been hovering over the M6 motorway all day and he queried why anyone would want to stay in the same position for six hours.   Little did Drew know that as I had entered the Flagon at tea time, like the helicopter, I had also occupied the same spot for six hours.  I didn’t so much hover though as take root.    Before you start painting yourself a mental picture of me supping beer, laughing and generally having a jolly decent time you should understand that I wasn’t so much drinking as undertaking invaluable research for this column.

Despite my elongated spell in the Flagon I felt quite sprightly on Monday morning, unlike poor old Barty Hook when he awoke on Sunday.   Given years of experience, if there’s one thing I have expertise in it is how to deal with a hangover but the excitable Barty Hook (who is responsible for Lowlife’s London office) chose not to heed my advice and he is now suffering the consequences.  After enduring a sixteen hour drinking session at the Epsom Derby Barty was in a state if disarray on Sunday, sick as a pig and as weak as a kitten.  Hook’s internal organs were playing merry hell and he stated that, and I quote, “I think my body is trying to eat itself.”

I strongly suggested Barty slowly start to re-introduce alcohol to his system before the point of no return, being 1600 hours, but to no avail.  Instead Barty chose a day of fifty shades of sufferance on his flea ridden sofa.  After a terror laden trip on Monday to the Victoria & Albert Museum Hook tried to claw back the situation by drinking six pints of Guinness, a drink which he undoubtedly chose just to annoy me (see Lowlife No 8), but it was a classic case of trying to shut the stable door after the horse had bolted.   I blame no one for ignoring 99% of what I spout forth but I would hope that next time in similar circumstances Barty will ingest my insightful guidance. 

On the morning of the Sabbath Hook was flailing around like a disorientated drunk in the dark trying to find the light switch as he was attempting to find the right foodstuff to ease the chaos in his stomach.  I recommended Barty chomp on Mini Cheddars, which are innocuous enough but hold great restorative qualities, which is a fact that can be verified by the Phantom. On a working Friday morning after a boozy Thursday night the Phantom and I can at various times be seen trying to tease Mini Cheddars out of the troublesome vending machine in the canteen, as something savoury is needed to settle the stomach.  The legendary Cheddars are like old Wild West tonics that cure all ailments known to humankind, though at a premium of 74 new pence per packet one is entitled to expect more than a regulation cheese flavoured snack.

Weston Superleeds was consuming Mini Cheddars in the Flagon the other day, but not to overcome biliousness but just because he likes them.  Later that evening in a heartening turn of events the gifted septuagenarian jazz guitarist Benny Kurrell presented to me a pleasant little piece that he wrote about being locked in his porch and he said he was inspired to write it after reading Lowlife, which was very flattering to say the least.  So Lowlife has its first inspiree.  And in the absence of anything better, I will drink to that.   

Postscript

Many congratulations to my good friend and work colleague the Phantom and the lovely Mrs Phantom on the birth of their beautiful little daughter Poppy.  The joyous news and subsequent photograph of the little wonder was greeted by a smile on my face as wide as the gulf between mine and Willy Mantitt’s respective incomes.

© Dominic Horton, 5th June, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment