Monday 17 June 2013

Lowlife 23 - The Lesser Titted Mantitt


The Lesser Titted Mantitt

Things are so dire financially at the moment that in order to live I have had to defraud myself just to generate money.  When I find out what I have done to myself I am not going to be very happy.  It could spark an internal dispute in Codger Mansions.   I have also had to spend money that I have not yet got, which one can only do with great difficulty, using guile, cunning and skill.   I have even cashed in my Christmas club money and it is only June, which means it’s going to be a miserable festive season this year.    In stead of “Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat” it will be “Christmas is coming but the balloons are going flat.” 

Just to rub things in Lowlife has learnt that the lavish and gluttonous Willy Mantitt had two steaks for dinner last night, whereas I only get one dose of quality red meat a month at the Flagon & Gorses steak night, which fortunately falls just after pay day.  Mantitt tried to justify his covetous consumption by stating that as Mrs Mantitt is a vegetarian he always has to eat two of everything.   All this overeating means that Willy’s waistline is getting bigger, as are his man boobs, both of which he is keen to reduce so he can once more sunbathe in his garden, which will mean that a certain rare species will be able to be sighted on Willy’s lawn again: the Lesser Titted Mantitt.

Willy could of course freeze one steak or even better invite me round to dinner, where I could do him a favour and knock a hole in his booze stocks which presently represent an unwelcome temptation in his house due to his pledge of sobriety for the month of June (see Lowlife 21). 

Mind you, like Mantitt I will be dry today as I will be blessed by the presence of my wonderful son Kenteke later and besides my internal organs have organised a petition and are campaigning for a better deal which involves less alcohol and more oily fish; I could more frequently oblige them with the former but as for the latter they obviously don’t know the price of fresh mackerel.   It is usually my mind that is rebellious but now my body has followed suit meaning that (quoting a poem I wrote in 1989 entitled Return of the Soul Destroyer [yes I was cheery then too]) “all I have left is my soul, refusing to budge from the whole.”

Willy queried if I feed my rank sausage casserole gruel to Kenteke but I replied emphatically that I certainly do not as it would amount to child cruelty and I don’t want to be cruel with the gruel.  Kenteke would be straight on the blower to Esther Rantzen at Childline and I wouldn't blame him.

Esther Rantzen is now a senior citizen of course and according to the Observer a growing proportion of pensioners are p*ssed half of the time.   The Observer article was explaining how boozing is particularly bad for elderly people's health but I am sure most of them think that as they have made it to advanced years they may as well do what they want and enjoy the time that they have got left.  One senior citizen that will buck the trend is the Abdul as carelessly he has crocked his leg and he is not supposed to drink for a week give the strong painkillers he’s on, so he is stone cold sober for the first time in years.   Given my pension projections I will barely be able to afford to eat as a pensioner, let alone drink.  They are more like pension dejections than projections.  If I can’t afford to drink as a pensioner I might as well do myself in.

I sometimes think about what method I would employ if I was to end it all, not in a morbid or depressed way but in a practical sense and it helps to while away a sit on the toilet.  For a start I could not put my head in the oven as I haven’t cleaned it since I moved into Codger Mansions so it is so encrusted with charred remains that I would not be able to fit my head in there.  I found a charcoal of sausage in there the other day and it looked less than palatable.   A lethal injection is out of the question as I’m not a massive fan of needles after a disturbing trip to the doctors where he wanted to stick a little prick in me.    I would not want to employ the drowning method as I can barely swim and as a result it would not be very safe.   

If I jumped off a tall building I might not be very popular with the council as my large conk (yes, I said conk) would most likely ruin the pavement and the damage would result in the council tax going up, embittering all my associates to my memory and my funeral would be sparsely populated as a consequence.   I could shoot myself, but to do that I would need to acquire a gun and I wouldn’t be able to afford to buy one, my poverty being the reason as to why I would want to top myself in the first place.    Chilli Willy, the Flagon’s chef, could be politely asked to poison me but judging by his meals he has already tried to do that and it hasn’t worked. 

If I were to hang myself in Codger Mansions it might leave ghoulish omens for the subsequent occupants and the only other place I could do it is in the shed, but given the dilapidated state of the decrepit structure if would collapse under the weight of a cat let alone me.

 One person who will not have to contemplate doing himself in due to glum impoverished circumstances is Willy Mantitt's affluent boss, who once wrote a chapter in a book entitled How I Made my First Million.  If I was to write a chapter in a book on financial matters I think it would be called How I Made my First Wage Packet Disappear in Five Minutes Flat.

I am sure that Willy’s gaffer will expediently relieve him of his duties if Mantitt offers him some of the disgusting sounding coconut water that he has been procuring for the heavily pregnant Mrs Mantitt.   Coconut water sounds like something Robinson Crusoe would have mixed into his rum to take the edge off before thrashing Man Friday at cricket.    I would rather have some of the light and delightful Portuguese sherry that the Pirate poured me on Monday in the Flagon, which he served in was the most attractive, delicate little vessel I have ever imbibed out of.    Attractive and delicate are not words usually associated with the Pirate but if he is hung over he might be delicate but not attractive.

The Pirate’s sherry was a cut above the rank, cheap stuff I used to guzzle with my jovial accomplice El Pistolero at my old residence at Fairfield Drive many moons ago.  One evening, having only a few jingling coins in our roomy pockets and no banknotes in our wallets, El Pistolero and I ambled down the local off licence more in hope that expectation of exchanging our trifling amount of cash for sufficient booze to make us merry.  We relayed our comprised position to the shop assistant and explained we wanted maximum alcohol by volume for minimum expenditure.   To our pleasant surprise the assistant expertly suggested we purchase bottles of the cheap dry sherry that they stock, so we blew the dust off the bottles and transacted accordingly. 

After furtively hot-footing back to Fairfield Drive we tipped the sherry into pint glasses and looked forward to sampling the tipple.  After the first sip of the drink my face resembled that of a man biting into a fresh lemon but within a few more tastes the drink was revealed to be infinitely more appetising than expected.    The sherry went from being a skid row drink borne out of necessity to our beverage of choice from the off licence which we purchased even when we were flush, which was appropriate enough as one sip of it made one’s face flush.   The off licence in question finally closed down and that marked the end of our merry sherry experience, which in the long run was most probably for the best.

Postscript

Recently I attended a very enjoyable school re-union (to mark 25 years since we left the wretched establishment) organised by my good friend the Jolly Keen Giant and held in Brandhall Conservative Club (in Langley) that is run my long time crony Jonty Von Rossi and his wife, the lovely Lareina Von Rossi.  If you can ignore the political allegiance the Brandhall Conservative Club is certainly worth a visit.  

Anyway, prior to the re-union I met up with two other long time cohorts, Ted Stone and Si Clerr, for a swift one in the Flagon and to my great joy and surprise Ted produced the fabled “I did it Peapod” photographs that I referred to in Lowlife 17 (entitled I did it Peapod).  The photographs are shown above (in the paper and email edition but not the online edition – please shout up if you want a copies online readers.) Note the Farah trousers and the Adidas Samba trainers that I am wearing, which were schoolboy chic at the time.

Ted Stone is now a big cheese (or at least a medium sized cheese) insurance broker with a motor home bigger than my house whereas I am reduced to writing weekly witticisms about past fiascos and the inner life of the Flagon & Gorses, for nil monetary reward.  But Ted is to thank for the photographs as I tipped him off about the planned Peapod caper and with him being slightly more affluent than us Shell Corner kids, which was not hard, he had a camera and duly did the business, capturing the escapade forever for posterity. 

© Dominic Horton, 7th June, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment