Monday 22 April 2013

Lowlife No 16 - The Secret Lemonade Drinker


The Secret Lemonade Drinker

I won’t be wearing a black armband in honour of Margaret Thatcher, who died on Monday, but it was sad to hear of the demise of the esteemed and loved English character actor Richard Griffiths who died at Easter.   It was good to see that when Griffiths’s death was announced on Good Friday that St John’s Church, Halesowen flew their St George’s flag at half mast in honour of the great man.    I can’t think of any other reason why on Good Friday the flag would have been at half mast; I’m not that au fait with the world of Christian religion but surely nothing bad or untoward could have happened on Good Friday or they would have called it Bad Friday.    Good Fridays used to be bad though as the pubs shut early, the shops were shut altogether and there was no horse racing.  But at least it was a Bank Holiday, so on balance the description of the day as “Good” was justified.    There was a headline on BBC News 24 today reading, “THATCHER COFFIN” – I thought if they don’t sort that cough out, it will kill her.

I was reading an obituary of Richard Griffiths while eating my lunch of gruel style sausage casserole the other day.  The last batch of the casserole that I cooked yielded 10 portions and I only used 8 budget sausages (and I ate one of those during the cooking process) so on average that is 7/ 10ths  of a sausage per portion, which is a more meagre ration than would have been the case in war time Britain.  My financial situation is increasingly dire so cutbacks are somehow needed but if I cut my meat rations back any more I will basically be a vegetarian, which would at least please my veggie friend Miss C.  When they emptied the supermarket shelves on the back of the recent horse meat scandal they should have brought the produce around to my residence, Codger Mansions, as I would have eaten it without reservation or hesitation (but with a little English mustard.)

Despite the lack of pennies in my coffers I finally had to bite the bullet and buy new work shoes (see Lowlife No 1), so it was off to pay a little trip to the shoe shop I normally use, as their brand of shoes are always supremely comfortable, if a little pricey.   Despite the shoes feeling agreeable in the shop, once I started to wear them they felt about as comfortable as being in a lift with the Kray Twins.  Another doomed venture.  I put a brave face on the matter and decided to break the shoes in, which I foolish thought would not take long; it would be easier to break in the Bank of England. 

Being Monday morning I could not face the crippling shoes, so I am now wearing an old pair which are not suitable for the office and are unattractive all round, I cannot think what possessed me to buy them in the first place; they look like a pair of Cornish pasties, but at least they are comfortable.

On describing my shoe misery to Willy Mantitt he confided in me that due to an over ambitious lunch his slim-fit shirt was a little taut.  I predicted that after Mantitt reaches the shortly impending milestone of forty years of age that he will never purchase a slim-fit shirt again, consistently opting for comfort over style.   I forewarned Willy that one day he will catch himself sauntering around Marks & Spencers in a daze wondering how he got there. It comes to us all. Mark my words, I cautioned.

I never actually buy anything from M&S as I always find that for me the clothes are oddly cut and ill fitting and I question what I am doing there and covenant never to return - this is probably part of the rights of passage process to actually purchasing clothes from there.
M & S sell wonderful slippers though, a comment which in itself is a sign of getting older.

As the lovely Mrs Mantitt is to give birth in June Willy has rather rashly made the solemn promise to stop drinking at the end of May.  I predicted that if he is good to his word and ceases tippling at the close of May that given the stresses of the impending arrival of the infant he will begin drinking again at the beginning of June.   I counselled that the strains of having a baby will only be eased with a little swill of grog as the naïve Mantitt will need a tipple more than ever.  And having a week’s paternity leave will put Willy in holiday drinking mode anyway.

If Mantitt does genuinely comply with his undertaking to stop imbibing, he will more than likely end up being a secret lemonade drinker, which is the worst type of drunk. He will find all sorts of ridiculous excuses to pop down to the garden shed to have a quick snifter of a secretly secreted bottle of Limón cello, his favourite tipple.  

I know for a fact that Willy has a drinks fridge located in his garage and given the seclusion of the location he simply will not be able to help himself.  While Mrs Mantitt thinks Willy is fashioning a shelf out of surplus wood, he will actually be sampling Smirnoff whilst perching on the sit down lawnmower.  Apparently, Mantitt’s father-in-law, who often helps with loathsome DIY tasks while the Mantitts are out, knows the whereabouts of the vodka and greedily quaffs the lot.  I advocated that Willy create a sub-stash of booze in the garage, but that really would be going too deep into secret lemonade drinker territory to the point of no return.

I usually associate the point of no return and drinking with the stage of the day after a heavy session where you need to start drinking again before you start to slide into the abyss.  I tend to think of 1600 hours as generally the point of no return, but it can of course be dependent on the variables of the drinking session in question (length and time of session/ amount of alcohol drunk/ type of alcohol drunk/ quantity of food consumed etc.)

Mantitt is a Cockney (or more adequately described as a Mockney) and I had the great pleasure in attending a concert performed by fellow Tottenham Hotspur supporters of Willy’s in the guise of the loveable Chas ‘n’ Dave.  I am indebted to my good friend Alexander Sutcliffe for generously donating me ticket to the concert at Birmingham Town Hall.  Although the ticket was free the performance was priceless. 

In the first half of the set the duo rocked their way through songs that they played in London pubs in the 1970’s before they became famous, including numbers by Piano Red, Harry Champion, Jerry Lee Lewis and Clarence Frogman Henry.  Chas was leisurely dressed in an Hawaiian shirt, turd catchers and Crocs sandals and it was highly impressive stuff (the music that is, not Chas’s clothing combo).  After the break Chas re-appeared in smart frock coat, trousers, shirt and shoes and the band banged out their 1980’s foot-tapping hits to the delight of the audience.   Both Alexander and I agree that it was a show straight out of the top drawer.

I noted the band’s drummer was new and I imagined how the advertisement for the position read in the London Evening Standard, “Chas ‘n’ Dave require a drummer – must be able to play Cockney pub classics.”   The drummer turned out to be the son of the original drummer Mick Burt.

In the highly unlikely event that I get married again it would be wonderful to have the dynamite duo playing at the reception in the Flaggon & Gorses but it is more likely that I will win the lottery than get married and I don’t even buy a lottery ticket.

Acknowledgements

Many thanks to my friend Willy Mantitt for his ongoing entertaining correspondence, which is a great help to me in the writing of this column.

I am blessed with the most wonderful friends (in addition to a number of less desirable associates.)   Society generally values marriage and romantic bonds above friendship, but generally friendship lasts for life and often romantic unions do not.  With this in mind, I would urge all my close friends, or at least some of them, to change the terms of their Last Will and Testaments to leave me some of their assets and chattels.  At the very least I would be eternally grateful if someone could bequeath me a decent vacuum cleaner; it does not even have to be a Dyson.  My vacuum cleaner is less than adequate as it actually spits out more dust and debris than it sucks up, so I have to finish the job with a dustpan and brush; I am exceedingly thankful that I have got laminate flooring in Codger Mansions and not a carpet.   And remember dear friends, the gift of the vacuum cleaner is contingent on you dying, so why should you give a sh*t. 


© Dominic Horton, 18th March, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment