Monday 8 April 2013

Lowlife No 14 - The Lights Have Gone Out


The Lights Have Gone Out

Apparently on Saturday my employers are generously going to switch off all the lights in its offices between the hours of 2030 and 2130 hours in order to benefit the environment as part of what’s known as Earth Hour.  That is very honourable of the Bank given that the vast majority of its offices are shut between those hours anyway and will subsequently be in darkness.  

I hope they don’t turn the lights off at the Coven Cheese and Cider festival that I am to attend as the band will be playing at that time and it will be an awful mess on the dance floor, especially as Mr Still-in-Fjord is likely to be gracing it.  In addition to that I will have had a few drinks by that stage and I will not be able to find my way to the bar in the gloom, which would be disastrous. 

Talking of dance floors, while having an impromptu midday drink the other Wednesday, the Phantom, the Man from Planet Bjazz and I invented the idea of having a lunchtime disco for office workers in Birmingham (more like Earth, Wind & Fire Hour, as opposed to Earth Hour.)  “Invented” might be too stronger a word as I am sure various landlords must have come up with the idea in the past.  After the Phantom conducted brief research the only reference he could find to a lunchtime disco was at a pub in Cowdenbeath, which looked like the kind of place where you might get your disco balls crushed if you looked at someone the wrong way.  

The benefit of the lunchtime disco would be of particular importance to youthful married people with children who struggle to get out on the weekend but like a boogie and a drink.  If such revellers worked quickly, in an hour they could have at least three pints, followed by awful “shooters”, French kiss someone on the dance floor, eat a kebab on the way back to work before being sick in the office toilets.   I can envisage wives across the country with the look of suspicion in their eyes when their loves leave for work on a Friday morning wearing platform boots, an open neck shirt with fly away collar and a gold medallion, with their chins slavered in Brut. 

Anyway getting back to the thread (if there ever was one), given my drinking habits on the Sabbath, if my employers want to switch off all the lights, computers and telephones for an hour first thing on Monday morning it would be most welcome.  But if they did that my sober minded, bushy tailed colleagues would soon get bored and bother me to “chat”, which in the first hour of the working week is plain rude, or worse malicious.  On second thoughts, the Bank had better leave the lights, computers and telephones on to protect my fragile sanity.

After spending the lion’s share of the day at the Pirate’s Pleasure Palace (better known as the Flagon & Gorses) on Sunday with Jolly D, Fudkins and others, I wanted, and fortunately got for once, a peaceful opening period to the working week.

I felt desperately sorry for Jolly D on Sunday.  We had a rip snorting afternoon/ tea time in the Flagon where everybody was in top form and it was a laugh a minute.  You could tell that D was in no mood to leave the pub but he appeared to have promised his missus that he would be back by a specified time.  He went through the “just one more” routine twice before he finally realised the game was up and he headed off into the sunset.  And I thought to myself, rather him than me.  

Before strolling up to the Flagon I really should have done my pile of ironing, or at least reduced it, but as ironing is a horrible spirit sapping sport I decided to ignore it hoping that it would go away.   Consequently, I was scrambling around for a shirt to wear and all I could find was the one work shirt that I had ironed for Monday morning.  I couldn’t be bothered ironing a leisure shirt, so I went out in the work shirt.  The knock on effect of that was that I had to iron a work shirt on Monday morning, which with the shakes was a precarious task. If I had the dough I would hire a cleaning lady to do all of my housework without a shadow of doubt.

As early Sunday evening descended Toby-in-Tents popped into the Flagon for half an hour with his buoyant dog Sauvey, who was unusually calm during the visit.  On the basis of that brief stay Toby now claims that Sauvey is boozer familias (see Lowlife edition 10) but that is akin to saying that my beloved Aston Villa are a great team simply because we beat QPR on Saturday – Sauvey will need to produce a run of consistent form to have me suitably convinced that he can placidly dwell in the pub for any length of time.

Talking to Fudgkins, the concept of boozer familias again cropped up as Sunday wore on.  We discussed the scenario that all drinkers know that if you are faced with having to visit an earthly (i.e. dog rough and threatening) public house if you simply enter and buy a pint and front it out, things normally turn out favourably.    “After all,” Fudgey commented, “the worst thing that could happen is that you could be stabbed to death.”  Comforting words indeed.

In other news, my spirits crisis is over – Philly the Gent agreed to sell me 3 bottles of Martell  Brandy for £30, which is an absolute steal.   The Gent has a touch of the old gout again and is not supposed to drink on the tablets that he has been prescribed, so he ordered a coke on my round in the Flagon the other night and I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever have to ask him the question, “do you want diet or normal.” The brandy was just the pick me up I needed after the disappointment of the Cheltenham Gold Cup, which I haven’t forgiven the Frymaster General for, given his appalling tip.  After Saturday evening’s trip to see the Stranglers with the Frymaster and Jonty Von Rossi, I mused that the last three times I’ve been out with the Frymaster he has behaved himself and it’s giving me cause for concern because I can foresee all his suppressed roguishness exploding spectacularly like a dormant volcano, such as happened with the Elton John fiasco at Belbrougton last year.

A few of us were camping at Belbroughton Beer Festival last summer, except for Sleepy Tom Parker and his entourage as his long suffering girlfriend Struth refuses to camp and I  don’t blame her given that she would have to share a tent with Sleepy Tom.   After the beer festival the Frymaster invited me to have a nightcap with him outside his tent, which turned out to be rank, warm scrumpy which had been festering in his motor all day, which was the last thing I needed after a dozen odd pints of real ale.  

The Frymaster decided to put some music on his car stereo to add to the general ambience and within no time at all Elton John’s Rocket Man was blaring out, which always gets me but that’s another story.    Within no time at all a woman popped out of her tent and urged us to turn the volume down a little as her young daughter was trying to get to sleep.   Just as I was about to say, “of course my love, apologies” the Frymaster got there before me and told her where to go in no uncertain terms.   The woman was less than pleased about the Frymaster’s unwitty retort and things were getting slightly heated but I managed to get Tez turn Elton down to an acceptable volume level.

When I went to water the bushes the Frymaster sneakily turned the volume up loud again and the whole palaver was repeated with the woman getting more aggressive, much to the Frymaster’s amusement.   On that note I took my bow and retired to my pop up tent.

When I awoke in the morning there was a breeze blowing in through a gaping hole in my tent.  I remembered that I had got up to wee in the night but in my befuddled state I couldn’t get out of the tent so for fear of swamping myself I had to rip my way out like the Incredible Hulk.

After Alexander Sutcliffe supplied digestive biscuits and cheese and onion crisps for breakfast it was time to depart but poor old Barty Hook was in a less than optimum state so he plumped for a lie in.  He was rudely awoken at lunchtime by the security staff who told him to strike camp and f*ck off.  

When the bleary eyed Barty finally emerged from his tent, looking like Papillion after a spell of solitary in a French Guiana gaol, he saw that only one other tent remained in the field, being the tent that I had left behind given the significant rip in it.   Being tainted and confused, the puzzled Barty thought that I had been abducted by aliens in the night, so it was to his great disappointment when he contacted me later only to find I was recovering in the tranquilizing environment of the Flagon & Gorses.

Postscript

My thoughts and warm wishes are wholeheartedly with my dear friend Mark Rutter (Lowlife’s the Imp) and his family as he has Leukaemia again and is currently being treated in hospital for the condition. 

Mark has proved on a number of occasions beyond reproach that he has the heart of a lion and a relentlessly stoic and positive outlook towards adversity and these immense qualities will stand him in good stead in the testing times ahead.  I will be there with you my friend. 

© Dominic Horton, 20 th March, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment