Monday 4 March 2013

Lowlife No 9 - Tooth Justice

Tooth Justice

After having a disrupted nights sleep I woke up and at looking at my watch I saw it was 0615 hrs; not ideal but all is not lost as the alarm is set for 0630 hrs, which gives me fifteen minutes of slumbersome grace.  But it turned out to be a dream and looking at my watch it transpired it was actually 0620 hrs, so the dream had cunningly robbed me of 5 precious minutes.   I then heard the annoying sound of my alarm which revealed that in fact hitherto the whole thing was a dream, or a mini nightmare (a slightmare?) and the real time was the dreaded 0630 hrs, time to get up. 

I purposely chose an irritating sound for the alarm on my mobile phone so I have to stumble out of bed to quickly switch it off.  In the days before mobile phones when I had a radio alarm, which were the height of chic technology at one time (probably debuting on Tomorrow’s World), I used to wake up to the caustic voice of the late Derek Jameson on BBC Radio 2, which was guaranteed to make me fly out of bed to switch off his grating tones but which made me start the day on an ill tempered note.

Up and out of bed into the nippy Codger Mansions bedroom; the place is generally cold but it is at its worst first thing in the morning as I cannot deduce how to work out the unfathomable central heating settings, try as I may.  The code breakers of Bletchley Park would have struggled to decipher my heating settings, such is its labyrinthine mystery – they are a true enigma.  After I moved into the place I called my brother Roger, who I rent the gaff off and who used to live there, to ask him how to work the central heating settings.  He said, “I haven’t got a clue, we just used to turn it off and on at the main switch”, so that is the simple method that I myself have adopted.  So it means that unless I awake after 5am in order to make the bladder gladder and turn the heating on before returning to bed, the gaff is invariably anywhere between chilly and glacial when I arise.

Even with the radiators on, in the majority of the house it is no guaranteed safeguard against goose bumps. The toasty, small living room is the exception as a few years ago I bought a heater from one of these bargain basement shops that spring up from nowhere and disappear as quickly in a dodgy fashion.  The heater was a mere £7 and as it is still working in a fine warming fashion I count myself lucky.  Lucky 7.

Once heated up by a hot bath it was off to take the Cannonball to school before a trip to the dentist.  I always enjoy a visit to the primary school as generally they must be one of the happiest and joyous places on earth, with the children’s paintings on the wall, the warmth from the old fashioned radiators and the laughter and boyishness of the Cannonball and his friends.  Primary schools are indemnified from the harshness and the realities of the adult outside world and they are an oasis of hope and innocence.

I got to the dentist at 0850 hours, 10 minutes early, and the door was still locked so I waited in the car to shelter from the cold.   I noticed that the curry house over the road had a sign stating “Bring your own drinks – beer and wine only”, which was presumably to stop heavy boozing on the premises.  I playfully thought about going in there with bottles of the Brewdog beer, The End of History, which stands at a very cheeky 55% ABV and drinking them right under the waiter’s nose to flout the rules.  But I discounted the idea, as no one likes a clever dick, least of all me.

I scrambled around the car for some extra strong mints which I thought I had, as despite endless tooth scrubbing before leaving the house my mouth felt less than fragrant.  Although the night before I had admirably steered clear of booze, forgetting the impending dentist visit I had eaten pickled onions to complement a selection of cheese that the Pirate had sold me in the Flagon.  The pickled onions had the same effect on the freshness my breath as a cross has to a vampire. My search was fruitless, or mint-less rather, so I would just have to front it out.

Looking at the shops on both sides of the main road I realised that only a couple remained as the same businesses as when I was a child and even those had changed hands at some stage.  This served as a reminder that change is the one constant in life.

There was change afoot at the dentists.  I had received a letter stating that my dental surgeon of 25 years, Mr Walter, was retiring and that a Mr Shulmer was to take over the firm and consequently the responsibility for my teeth.  Given that Mr Walter enjoyed my complete faith and trust the news of his unforeseen departure was a shock to say the least and although I had never met Shulmer I doubted that he could live up to Walter’s impeccable old school standards.

On entering the surgery I noticed the old receptionist, Sharon, had also gone. A complete and brutal cull.  The new receptionist seemed to have all the requisite qualities for the job except for an obvious absence of personality and polite charm, so she seemed perfect for the post.  Sitting in the waiting room I noticed that it was still cash or cheque only, which offered some reassurance.   It is too common a sight now for young upstarts to stand waiting for a drink in a pub holding up a plastic card; it is always to my great pleasure when the landlord informs them that no, they don’t take cards.  The Flagon of course, as you would imagine, is strictly cash only.

At 0907 hours in rushed Shulmer like the perennially late Reggie Perrin.   His tardiness didn’t fill me with confidence and to compound matters he was not only unshaven but his shoes were in a considerably more worn state that mine.  On being invited into the surgery I could see that unlike Walter, under his gown his wore no shirt and tie, or indeed any clothing at all.   Not only was Shulman young but he was also visibly nervous, repeating his words on more than one occasion. I began to wonder if I was his first post-training victim.

I explained to Shulman that I had cracked a filling on a peppercorn but his first act was to take an inventory of my teeth, calling out the state of each individual tooth to his assistant.  Most teeth were described as “restored” which is the quaint neo-dentist way of referring to a filling, which makes my teeth sound like a refurbished antique Edwardian cabinet.  Shulman could have saved everyone considerable time by summarising to his assistant, “his teeth are f*cked.”

On inspecting the cracked “restored” molar Shulman commented ruefully that, “it doesn’t look good”, after which I expected him to explain that the tooth would need to be refilled in the same way Mr Walter had done many times before.  Instead Shulman’s apologetic assessment was that the tooth had to come out, it was, like his shoddy shoes, beyond repair.   To make things worse, it would be a messy and troublesome procedure as the tooth was split so he would have to dig down to the roots.   I wanted the reassuring Walter back, who surely would have patched up the molar in time honoured fashion and dismissed me as good to go. 

While I lay there with Shulman yanking in vain at my tooth I tried to divert my mind from the horror of the situation by thinking of how many readies the surly receptionist was going to fleece me for once Shulman had finished his butchery.  I knew the extraction from my wallet would be infinitely more painful than the extraction from my mouth.  The rookie dentist then informed me that he was having grief getting the split tooth out as the roots didn’t want to budge, which made me wonder why he was extracting the hardy molar in the first place.

When the Shulman had finally finished it left a big toothless gap down the left side of my bleeding upper mouth, as I lost a tooth in the same spot years earlier playing football.   Overall though, he seemed to have done a competent job, especially as with him being fresh out of college I was effectively a guinea pig.

Before I left Shulman told me that these days with modern dentistry techniques, my teeth would not need to be restored quite as much but older style dentists had a tendency to drill and fill.  He had managed to turn the tables on the gentlemanly Walter, who in hindsight had appeared to be using Victorian methods right up until his retirement.  So Shulman seemed to know his onions, which means undoubtedly he recognised the pickled variety that so distastefully flavoured my soured breath.

* * * * *

Postscript

They say death comes in threes.   After the sad passing of writer Jonathan Rendall and bluesman Magic Slim I was wondering who was next.  It transpired that my long time barber Trevor was the one to complete the trio.  A bit of a shock to say the least.  I only saw him a few weeks ago, the last time he trimmed my hair and he seemed in good enough health at the time.  When I went into the shop Paul was there with a younger barber, a Wolves fan, but no Trev, who normally worked on a Tuesday.  I asked Paul how Trev is.  When Paul replied, “Don’t you know?” in a serious fashion I could see what was coming.  

At 66 he still worked of course and was always out and about doing one thing or another and indulging in his love of photography.  Trev was always quick with a quip and a smile and he turned the mundane task of a trip to the barbers into a pleasant experience that I always looked forward to and enjoyed so he will be sorely missed but fondly remembered.


© Dominic Horton, 4th March, 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment