Monday 25 March 2013

Lowlife No 12 - Oliver: Please Sir, No More Sir!


Oliver: Please Sir, No More Sir!

Lowlife is not in the habit of doing restaurant reviews, as I rarely eat in such places given the threadbare state of my finances. The closest I get to eating out is having a slice of the magnificent turkey and ham pie in the Flagon.  Mind you the Cannonball did treat me to a Greggs pasty the other week at our local Greggs the Baker, which is a sit down outlet, posh I know, so it did count as dining out.  Good old philanthropic Mr Gregg vending tasty hot pasties to the impoverished for mere pennies.  Like all good philanthropists you never hear of or see Mr Gregg but I think it is about time he was rewarded in the New Year’s Honours list.  However, for Mother’s Day I found myself in Jamie’s Italian, the Birmingham vehicle of the irritating television cook, Jamie Oliver. Oliver is so bothersome that he would even agitate Dustin from the Flagon, who is the most placid and gentlemanly figure I know.

It is true to say that my view of the restaurant was a little coloured even before I set foot in the place given my mild aversion to Oliver but I was trying very hard to keep an open mind. 
Unfortunately, I was put on the back foot before I had even sat down and took my coat off as the waitress used that awful Americanism of “guys” to address us, despite there being two ladies in our party.  

Taking our order the waitress consistently used the slang word “cool” and I was hoping that was not a description of the state of the soup.  But the soup could not be cool as when I enquired what the soup of the day was (which I wanted to warm me up in the arctic conditions) I was informed that the restaurant does not sell soup.  A restaurant not serving soup?! That is comparable to the Flagon not selling beer.    If I had known about the absence of soup I could have visited the amiable Craig in the inviting Whisky Shop in the Great Western Arcade for a quick winter warmer.

Undeterred by the souplessness I spotted that encouragingly local beer was stocked so asked the waitress what they had on offer.  She replied that they currently have no local beer.   As you can well imagine at that point my estimation of the place was going down faster than the Liverpool striker Luis Suarez in the opposition’s penalty box.

The waitress started to take the gentlemen’s orders before the ladies in an anti-etiquette strategy.  The strategy was further in evidence when I later spotted her taking the orders of another party and she actually sat down, uninvited, with the diners on their table to talk to them.  She might as well have scoffed their dinners while she was at it.

The sound of invasive pop music  rang out around the room and not of the tasteful and quiet variety, such as produced by the lizard-like Canadian Leonard Cohen for example, but lively, up tempo pop that is more at home in a trucker’s café.   The ability of the diners to relax was further eroded by that most unwelcome of modern phenomenon, the open kitchen.  If there is one thing I cannot stand it is screaming and shouting and general mayhem.  It happens in the usually restful Flagon occasionally when a stag party stumbles in, much to the distaste of the regular patrons.  

The whole restaurant was adorned with great vulgarity by Oliver related goods which are on sale to the diners, making the whole place looking like a cross between a café and a bookshop, which is what the restaurant used to be.  To make matters worse when I went to the toilet I had to pass the front of the open kitchen and was blocked off by rude waiting and kitchen staff, thundering past me in manic fashion. I naively thought the staff would stand to one side and invite me, as a customer, to proceed but not a bit of it.  The very same thing happened on the way back from the gents.  I would much prefer the mayhem and chaos of the kitchen be confined to a separate room.

Despite what the Imp claimed (see Lowlife No 2) I am no style guru but some of the diner’s attire leaved a lot to be desired.  Some men (I hesitate to use the word gentlemen) did not wear a collar and others were unshaven (and to some both applied).  Other male diners even wore sports shoes.  It is no surprise that an establishment of this nature attracts customers with such slovenly standards.

I thought I had cracked things on the food front by ordering a lamb stew to make up for the soup disappointment.  When I ordered the stew I didn’t for one minute imagine that it would be served in the style of a pie with sliced red onions on top.  It looked like the chef had dropped the onions on the stew-pie in error instead of putting them on a salad, which is not a surprise given the pressure the staff are under by the prying eyes of customers into the open kitchen.   Let’s hope that the chef didn’t erroneously drop a sausage on top of the duck l’orange as that would be quackers.

The saving grace of the lunchtime was that I most unexpectedly fell in love.  The sweet and beautiful Limoncello was the object of my affections, which was not the name of the waitress, but an Italian liqueur spirit made from the fruity zest of Femminello Saint Teresa lemons of Southern Italy.  It was love at first taste, if you will. Limoncello was recommended to me by  another Mockney bluffer, Willy Mantitt, and usually you have to take his recommendations with a large pinch of salt, but this time he is right on the money.  Incidentally I had to add a large pinch of salt to the stew to give it some flavour.  It is doubtful that I will be a father again, but if I am and I have a daughter I will name her Limoncello after the delightful Mediterranean spirit.  The only downside to the drink was that it was such a meagre serving that I had to drink it quicker than I normally like to otherwise it would have evaporated.

Such was the letdown of Oliver’s restaurant that I had to un-pucker myself by immediately visiting the Flagon to quaff pints with the Pirate.  As you know I use pseudonyms in this column to protect the innocent and to not condemn the guilty, but I can now reveal that the Pirate’s real name is Bob Van Vliet.  The Pirate attempted in his own unique style to promote Lowlife.  A punter picked up a copy of the latest edition and after glancing at it put it down again and Van Vliet shouted across the bar to him, “Don’t put that back, f*cking read it, the author is sitting next to me.”   There was no answer to that.

Once fully refreshed, on leaving the Flagon I decided to have a taste of the Orient in order to banish the earlier culinary calamity.  I congratulated myself for bypassing the disgusting Seldum Peking take away and chose instead to take the longer walk to the delicious Red Lantern.  Once I returned home I sat there smugly spilling curry sauce all down my dressing gown and the food is that good at the Lantern that I didn’t even rue the soup that never was.

Postscript

To avoid doubt, as all good lawyers say for clarification, the following comments are in all seriousness.  I can see that the regular reader of Lowlife might think I am being sarcastic, but I assure you wholeheartedly that is not the case.

If you do want quality food at a decent price, venture no further than the Flagon (being the Waggon and Horses, Stourbridge Road, Halesowen) where the chef Chilli Willy serves up delicious hearty fayre.  The regular steak and other themed nights are so popular that they are always fully booked to such a degree that it is easier to get a table at the Savoy Grill on a Saturday evening.   The difference is that the food, beer, ambience and company are far superior to the Savoy.  Willy knows how to cook a mean steak which is ironic as both Willy and his partner, Flagon barmaid and some time archaeologist Carla von Trow-Hell, are vegetarians.  Food is served every day until 1800 hrs (later on a Monday and a Wednesday) except Sunday so you should treat yourself and dine in style at the Flagon. 


© Dominic Horton, 11th March, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment