Thursday 7 February 2013

Lowlife No 5 - Pottering About the Med

Pottering About the Med

Our good friends at the BBC have just announced that water bills are to go up by 3.5% in the spring; in my dire financial circumstances I think I need a spring (like the fabled Peckham Spring) to spout forth from the garden with free water.  The price rise is all well and good but all other commodities and utilities are increasingly more expensive whereas my wages (like many others) will either remain static or rise minimally, which will barely cover the cost of the price rise in prescriptions or pickled egg expenses in the Flagon.  And on Fungus Hill it is a flat fee bill so I cannot have a water meter – mind you if they gave me a meter they would probably take a furlong.  The most galling thing about the provision of water in particular is that is it privatised but I have no choice as to who supplies it, they have got you both ways.  The only alternative is to utilise the murky looking shopping trolley laden water running through the river Stour at the bottom of Fungus Hill (which hardly deserves the grandiose title of “river” with it being little more than a glorified stream.)   Water is an absolute necessity of life and people are making profit out of us being provided with it which, like my associate the Frymaster General, is immoral and obscene. 

We are all in such a rush in life of course that we barely notice the price of things going up faster than Guy Fawkes on bonfire night.   I read my revised water bill and knew it had gone up but it failed to tell me what I had paid before, so without researching the matter I was ignorant to the extent of the price rise.   I know that one should not stereotype, but one of the endearing and attractive qualities of the Greeks is their innate ability not to rush.  Leisurely pottering is almost a national pastime for which they should receive warm and heartfelt recognition.   At the wedding of my good friend Dustin Scoffman at the beautiful Greek Orthodox church in Pylos, a gentleman official of the church, who I surmised was the verger, proceeded throughout the length of the ceremony to display a world class performance in pottering.  Unlike the tense and edgy verger  Mr Yeatman in the beloved World War II comedy Dad’s Army, his Greek counterpart could not have been more relaxed, dusting, adjusting the sacred paintings that adorned the walls, watering plants and even gently and quietly chatting with the congregation.  He even engaged me in polite conversation at one point, asking where I derived from, and I did not want to disrespect the ceremony by talking but equally I didn’t want to disappoint the genial, smiling verger.  

Thankfully the one person who did rush was the Greek Orthodox priest, who was typically adorned with a big, thick, black beard. If he had been freshly clean shaven I would have been grossly disappointed.  The priest managed to condense a ceremony that should rightfully last over 2 ½ hours into a credible 60 minutes by talking faster than the late BBC horse racing commentator Lord Oaksey at the exciting culmination of the Cheltenham Gold Cup.  For this I was eternally thankful to the lightning tongued priest as it accelerated our ability to get our dry lips round the champagne generously supplied by the newly wed Mr & Mrs Scoffman at the wedding reception, which was much needed, given that in the time honoured tradition of the British abroad, my travelling companions (my long time drinking accomplice the Little German and his lovely wife Mrs Still-in-Fjord) and I were mortally drunk, on Ouzo, the night before the wedding.

A famous night ensued, and despite our reservations about Scoffman’s oratory skills he gave a speech that Anthony Wedgewood Benn would have been proud of.   The only slight issue came when the band (fronted by a Greek style Alvin Stardust) shot its bolt far too early by playing Zorba the Greek (the Greek wedding equivalent of Madness’s One Step Beyond) while we were still consuming the impressive and delicious meal.  With the drummer translating I managed to make Stardust understand the error of his ways and the band replayed Zorba later in the evening to the ecstatic delight of the merrily drunken audience.  Early the next morning when the party finished a difficulty arose after we brushed past a drunken man on a stool, snoozing against the hotel front desk.  We asked the hotelier to order us a taxi to which he replied, “there are no taxis at the present time as he is the taxi driver” pointing to the man on the stool.   Undeterred, the Little German and I commandeered two sofas in an L shape in the lobby and we both duly fell into a blissful sleep on our respective sofas, leaving Mrs Still-in-Fjord sitting on a hard chair in between us.

If the water rates went up in Greece they would simply refuse to pay the bill.  That said they didn’t pay the bills prior to any price rises, which is why the country became bankrupt.  When the government insisted the good Greek citizens paid the bills the usually placid, peace loving population rioted in the streets.  I say riot, but it was apparently more like a mass potter with the odd outbreak of excitement.

© Dominic Horton, 6th February, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment