Wednesday 6 February 2013

Lowlife No 1 - Walking in a Dead Man’s Trousers

Walking in a Dead Man’s Trousers


Despite living an increasingly frugal and spendthrift existence I must be doing something drastically wrong in the fiscal stakes. 

Looking round the office even the temporary staff, who are probably not getting paid a great deal more than the statutory minimum wage, are substantially better dressed than me. I discarded the shoes I am wearing and abandoned them under my desk a few years ago after they developed a leak – I am now back to wearing them as they are in a better condition than the ones that were hitherto donning my feet.  My trousers have long since reached their expiry date and are at least a size too big after I shifted excess timber after breaking my ankle February last. 

All of my work shirts bear immovable stains to one degree or another (nothing sordid if you are wondering – mostly coffee) and a £5 digital watch that I bought for exercise purposes has now become my work and all purpose time piece after my other, smarter one, broke (one cheeky impertinent young work colleague said, in all seriousness, “I like your retro watch”).   My work glasses, which cost a few quid 10 odd years ago, still look the part, or leastways I still think so, but they tend to fall off if I look down as they are now a little loose on my head.  By the way, how is it possible to get a stain out of a shirt? Women generally tend to have the magical, unfathomable gift of stain removal but even with the aid of the most up to date and expensive associated products it is still a skill that eludes me.

I still just about retain a thin veneer of office attire respectability and if I needed to up my game for a one off occasion I could embellish myself in a respectable suit and Crombie style overcoat, with decent cufflinks and tie (matching) and with a brief case as an accessory (purely an accessory as there would be nothing important or of use in it); currently shoes would pose a problem.  However, since my old housemate the Phantom moved on to bigger and better things, as he was right to do, (deciding to share the responsibility of household bills and rent with his lovely girlfriend) my ability to purchase the luxury of clothes has been severely diminished. 

My financial projections show that the urgent need for new work trousers and shoes is unlikely to be remedied before August and that could be put back until October if I have to incur the expense of me and my 8 year old son, the Cannonball, going to the League Cup Final at Wembley next month – a trip that is highly unlikely now, given my beloved Aston Villa lost 3-1 away at Bradford in the first leg of the semi-final last night.   I do not look at the loss to Bradford as a silver lining in the new work trousers stakes, as my glass tends to be half empty. I would not want silver lined work trousers anyway, as they sound too uncomfortable. Comfort is my first priority with work attire (after cost of course) given that I have to spend an inordinate amount of time in such attire, mostly chained to a desk.  The comfort-over-style preference is also probably symptomatic of me now being in my 40’s.

I am afraid that the same fate most probably awaits my work trousers as demise of the Little German’s trousers a few years ago (Nb. the Little German is not German but he is little.)  The Little German never took to the practice of wearing underpants and this proved to be a source of embarrassment as he walked up the office after his threadbare work trousers finally developed a flesh-revealing hole in the seat of the trouser, much to the amusement of his tittering work colleagues.

It could all culminate in a visit to the many charity shops in my homely little Black Country, provincial home town in order to find suitable cheap trousers that are in better condition than my own.   This will not transform me into a dead man walking but I will thereafter be walking in a dead man’s trousers.

© Dominic Horton, 9th January, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment