Friday 16 October 2015

Lowlife 130 – Bring Out Your Dead

Bring Out Your Dead

By Dominic Horton

How is the world? Is it alright? I haven't been out in it for a while as I have been struck down and I am bed bound. The world might have disappeared completely for all I know, with my Codger Mansions home standing alone as the only sign of its existence. Having a nasty ailment is enough to make you ill. All the inactivity, television watching and lack of stimulation is tiresome. I haven't even been able to have a drink for well over a week and I have not been to the Flagon & Gorses for even longer. I am surprised that they haven't sent out a search party or listed me as a missing person on Police Five. That said all of the regular inmates up there will be too busy getting p*ssed to spare any time and effort to search for me. One must get one's priorities right in life after all.

Revellers having a good time despite the fact that they
have got the Black Death - a good effort.
Lying in bed for the last few days, being quite unwell, with a wide variety of odd symptoms - including mouth ulcers, swollen gums, swollen glands, sharp headaches and disjointed thoughts (no change there then) – all sorts of wild possibilities went through my mind: glandular fever, irreversible gum disease, yellow fever, scarlet fever, cup fever, purple f*cking fever, whatever …...... even the dreaded Bengal Lancer. Once the weekend was out of the way things had not improved one jot so it was off to the doctor on Monday morning after the Herculean effort of getting out of bed and dressed etc. The doctor was quick to reach a diagnosis: “You've got the 'flu.”

Typical. I was due to have my 'flu jab on Saturday but had to cancel due to the illness. “The 'flu? But I haven't had a runny nose or a sore throat doctor, neither have I had a cough.” “It doesn't matter Mr Horton, you still have the 'flu. Go to bed, drink plenty of water and have some paracetamol.” After waiting to see the doctor for over an hour he had dispatched me within a few seconds like a short ball through the covers. I didn't think anyone got the actual 'flu anymore, not since the 'flu jab became widely available. I thought that the 'flu was now as rare as contracting the black death, which is another illness that I suspected I might have before I sought counsel from the doctor. A touch of the bubonic would be a complete and utter disaster because if The Pirate found out he wouldn't let me into the Flagon & Gorses.

I don't think anything noteworthy has happened at the Flagon while I've been in absentia but it may not be a bad thing that I am temporarily divorced from the warm and welcoming clutches of my second home. It is the worst kept secret since it was revealed that Rock Hudson was gay that The Pirate has shook hands with a buyer to sell the pub and if my sources are correct – which is unlikely – the sale is due to complete any week soon, once formalities are finalised. So putting a bit of distance between me and the establishment (metaphorically speaking, as I only live half a mile down the road) could be beneficial as it will leave me less mournful once the inevitable happens.
A Bengal Lancer, by request of Toby In-Tents.

I haven't seen The Pirate properly in quite a while, not by design, but I have generally not frequented the pub as much recently and when I do it is normally later in the evening, when The Pirate tends to be upstairs in his quarters. I've had a a tin of Polish sardines for him for at least 3 weeks and if I don't see him soon I will probably eat them myself, which is something I might regret.

The silver lining to the cloud of the Flagon's sale is that it will remain as a pub and a real ale pub to boot. But no one knows the finer details of what the buyer plans to do with the place and whether he will shut the pub for refurbishment or he will keep it open. If it is the former there will be a lot of refugees wondering around Halesowen looking for shelter and some of the more institutionalised pub inmates won't know what to do with themselves. Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council will have to call in the UN to set up emergency real ale tents where Flagoners can sit supping bitter, wrapped in silver blankets, eating freeze dried scratchings from special CAMRA ration packs.

Many drinkers will easily be re-homed by other drinking establishments because some pub goes are fickle and see no further than the price of a pint and have no time for the bonhomie or romance of a pub. Many others, who have made a sport of moaning about The Flagon, will miss the way it was when the place finally changes hands. They will have a new regime to moan about and they will look at the way the Waggon used to be through highly polished rose tinted spectacles.

Shaw Taylor on Police 5
But for the most institutionalised player in the game it will truly be what pop psychologists call “a life changing event.” At this time I do not know what will become of The Pirate, where he will end up or what his plans are, whether he will retire disgracefully, go back into business, continue to loiter around the West Midlands or make the pilgrimage back to Hampshire, where he is from. The Flagon & Gorses has been The Pirate's life for well over a quarter of a century, so whatever he ends up doing it will be a complete sea change. It is one thing to work in the same place for over twenty five years but to work there, live there, run the business, that is another. Let us hope that The Pirate doesn't end up like Brooks Hatlen in The Shawshank Redemption.

It is not clear at present whether any of Chilli Willy, Carla Von Trowel, Clawdia, Toni Tulips, Chloe Tulips, Donny Darkeye and the rest of the staff will be re-employed by the new owners but it could be unlikely. They are cherished fixtures and fittings of the place and I only hope that they are included in the sale inventory, if they want to carry on working at the place that is.

But there is no point being sentimental about these things. Life moves on, things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. At least The Flagon is not being turned into a Dixy Chicken or the like, with The Pirate and Chilli Willy flipping burgers for the minimum wage. That would take the biscuit, or the chicken drumstick to be precise.
Chloe Tulips & Toni Tulips behind the bar in
the Flagon & Gorses.

Though things are sure to be different, The Flagon will still be a pub and I suppose for that we should all be thankful. If the place was to cease to be a public house then Flagoners would disperse to various drinking holes far and wide and our little community would be lost, which would be a crying shame. One of the beauties of popping into the Flagon is not so much seeing one's regular cronies but bumping into a familiar face that you haven't seen for a while and having a pleasant time. In many ways the epitome of this for me is hazarding across Dick the Hook, who is always unfailingly jocular and frivolous pub company in whose presence it is almost impossible to be miserable – the tonic of laughter and companionship is the very reason why we go to the pub in the first place.

People are being urged to go sober for October to raise money for Macmillian. I do not understand why people are being encouraged to abstain completely as it is a well known fact that on average moderate drinkers live longer than teetotalers. I know that the phrase Drink Moderately for October is not as catchy as Go Sober for October but the health of people should be valued more than a natty slogan. Anyway, due to my illness I have by default been virtually sober for October. If we want to raise money for charity before The Flagon changes hands we should avoid the world's biggest coffee morning but wholeheartedly support the world's biggest p*ss up. 

© Dominic Horton, October 2015.

* Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

No comments:

Post a Comment