Sunday 14 December 2014

Lowlife 100 – All Played Out

All Played Out

By Dominic Horton

Curries from an Indian takeaway are evil as they are so full of fat that they bloat you up and provide you with your recommended weekly calorie intake in one hit. It's the ghee that does it. An ex-colleague at work used to eat loads of curries and he developed a sizeable belly; we used to call him the Ghee Lord. You might as well eat a pound of melted lard as eat a takeaway curry. And beer is pretty bad for putting on weight too. Especially as it makes you eat curry.

Hatchet Harry Stottle, by request of Toby In-Tents
And don't get me started on Chinese takeaways. But to my credit for many weeks now I have managed to avoid my nemesis, the Baby Faced Assassin at the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway, and I feel better for it. I find it helps leaving the Flagon & Gorses as late as possible in the evening to make sure that the Rhareli Peking is shut. I've always said that leaving the boozer before last knockings can be fraught with hazards; if you leave at kicking out time you'll not end up with an unpalatable and emblubbering beef fried rice and curry sauce from the Rhareli Peking and you have less chance of being robbed on the Stourbridge Road by Mexican bandits.

I tend to cook my own low fat curries to eat after the pub as I have only got to look at a samosa these days and I seem to put weight on, which is what appears to happen when you get older. When I was a teenager I could drink a skin full of beer and eat a curry, rice, a big naan bread and chips as well and the calories would burn off quicker than an egg frying on a car bonnet in the Mojave Desert. But not anymore. So now I eat soup, lots of it. I cook the soups myself, they are so easy to make that I bet even the undomesticated Willy Mantitt could make one. But then again maybe not.

So no longer being a big eater I was surprised with myself on Monday because I made an Herculean effort and ate all of my humongous Christmas dinner at the Flagon & Gorses (actually, I did leave two roast chestnuts on the plate. I am lead to believe that the Cambodians think it is rude to not leave a little bit of food on your plate at the end of a meal. I was not being polite, I was simply fuller than Mr Creosote in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. I could not even manage a wafer thin mint. Apparently Elvis Presley was a keen Monty Python fan, which seems a bit odd. Maybe when he died on the karsi he was laughing so much at The Dead Parrot Sketch that it gave him a Connery. It's a credible theory.)
Al Whispering Death Stottle

Chef Chilli Willy had put enough food on the plate to feed a small gathering of Japanese Elvis impersonators but the food was so good, and I was that famished, that I polished it off. And I put the Christmas pudding and custard away too, which was washed down with a fine Hungarian Dessert wine from the Pirate's personal collection. I was joined for dinner by the Pirate, the Pianist and Leigh D'Stray as my regular dining partners of Tomacheski, Pat Debilder and Mother Teresa were absent without leave. Not being a cultured type I had never had dessert wine before but I would imagine that the Pianist and Leigh have, as they are more refined. And I am sure that the Pirate has as he is a p*sshead.

I spent the course of the meal with serious concerns that the Barbara Cartland Suite, where we were seated, was going to explode as the Pirate was sitting next to the fire and he is infamous for the amount of flatulence he permeates. With the Pirate having a Christmas meal, which included sprouts and stuffing, his wind was off the Sphincter Scale. I took the precaution of putting Red Adair's number in my mobile telephone but fortunately in the end I didn't have to call him.

Al 'Whispering Death' Stottle (aka the Coarse Whisperer) had arranged the Stottle Gang's Christmas junket for Wednesday and I knew that I dare not back out as our leader Hatchet Harry Stottle would not have been best pleased. But by then I was all played out as I had already attended two boozy Christmas functions on the weekend in addition to the Flagon meal on Monday, so I ducked out early of the Stottle do, after only six hours of drinking, and headed back to Codger Mansions for an aforementioned homemade curry.

Pete the Heat Stottle, The Stottle With No Name & Wild Bobby Stottle (aka
The Pirate) looking like the three unwise men at the Flagon & Gorses Christmas 
dinner.
Because I was tucked up in bed early on Wednesday evening with Alfie the teddy, by 0500 hours on Thursday morning I was up and about and as fresh as a daisy that has been trampled on by a dog in the park but survived the experience. So I decided to make a batch of soup in the slow cooker, a simple vegetable. The soup that is, not the cook. The only problem I had was that I thought I had better not use my hand held liquidiser as it makes a terrible din and it might wake up the neighbours. But I had the bright idea of taking the saucepan of carrots, onions and celery (for the soup's base) and the liquidiser to the bathroom as the neighbours would not hear the noise from there – the bathroom is at the bottom of the extension on the ground floor and for the record (with regards to hygiene) it does not house the toilet, which is in a separate room. Which is a shame as I could have sat on the karsi while I enacted the liquidising operation and killed two birds with one stone.

My neighbour told me a while ago that a previous owner of Codger Mansions killed himself in the bathroom by slashing his wrists. But it occurred to me that it might have been accidental death when he cut his wrists after his hand held liquidiser slipped during a routine souping procedure at five in the morning. Mindful of this possibility I proceeded with great care and due diligence.
Hugh Queensbury

I took less care and due diligence on Saturday night when I recited poetry at the Queensbury's Christmas dinner party, the reason being that by the time the other diners allowed me to read the poems I was three sheets to the wind. I thought a few festive poems might be a pleasant idea so I did some research earlier in the day and finally settled on three pieces of verse: A Christmas Carol by GK Chesterton, Minstrels by Wordsworth and Mistletoe by Walter de la Mare. But when I suggested at the dinner table, early in the evening, that I recite some poetry it was met with such a mixture of hilarity and derision that anyone would have thought that I had proposed to run naked around the streets with a piece of mistletoe sticking out of my a*se.    Queensbury was laughing so much that I thought he was going to have a seizure, which he would have been able to deal with as he is a paramedic. By the time I recited the poetry later in the evening he was more like a paralytic than a paramedic and I wasn't far off either.

So my recital was not as good as it ought to have been and to compound matters the whole sorry performance ended up on social media. But when I watched the video clip the one thing that struck me was not how tipsy I was but how pronounced my accent is, which sounded like an odd mix of Black Country and Brummie – this comes in the week that a poll conducted by market research firm YouGov found that the Brummie accent is the most unattractive of all accents in the British Isles.

A gathering of Japanese Elvis impersonators
Whoever devised the YouGov poll should be hung out to dry because to describe it as being fundamentally flawed is an understatement. As far as YouGov are concerned all of the residents of the West Midlands speak with a Brummie accent, which is patently not the case: clearly accents from around the Black Country, where I live, are different from accents from Birmingham or accents from other parts of the county, such as Coventry. Additionally many inhabitants of the West Midlands speak with a non-English or non-Midlands accent and some speak no English at all. Other regions are treated the same: for example, ludicrously all Welsh accents are lumped into one generic group.

I am not sure what point the YouGov poll is trying to prove or what its purpose is. The introduction to the poll on the YouGov website states that there are as many dialects in the British Isles as there are in the whole of the vastly more populous North America (including Canada, Bermuda and Native American dialects). That being the case surely it would be better to celebrate the richness of Britain's linguistic diversity (including languages other than English) than to be divisive about the matter.

The accent (forgive the pun) should be on inclusivity and diversity, not on belittling or marginalising people because of their accent or dialect – if we did that in the Flagon & Gorses The Pirate, with his soft Hampshire drawl, would be ostracised, drinking and f*rting on his own by the fire in the Barbara Cartland Suite. And the only possible person to benefit from that inflammatory situation would be the legendary fire fighter Red Adair. 

© Dominic Horton, December 2014

Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall
Email: lordhofr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment