Monday 13 October 2014

Lowlife 91 – A Cruel Mistress

A Cruel Mistress

By Dominic Horton

Sleep can be a cruel mistress. She often fails to come when she is coveted but then tries to keep you in her firm grip when you need to wriggle free of her to start the day. Sleep wooed me into her lair on Monday night but when I returned from one of my many night time toilet trips not too long after midnight I found that she had fled abruptly and she failed to return. So a night time of writhing and fretting took place but at least I had an idea for a short one act play and I made a few notes in that regard. But as ever I couldn't make out most of the illegible notes come Tuesday. At 0500 hours (which I consider to be officially the start of the morning) I gave up the ghost and started to cook a beef and shallot broth as sleep had effectively said to me hours earlier “sorry pal, that's shallot.”  Cutting the shallots stung my weary eyes but it at least it sharpened my senses a bit and the broth came in handy as I gave Tomacheski a helping, as he is currently housebound with the gout, and used two further portions in a trade with Pat Debilder that saw pots of sagwala aloo curry coming my way. I had the better end of the bargain as the sagwala aloo was the best I have ever tasted whereas my beef broth was workmanlike at best.

The Elephant & Castle Pub, Netherton
I could have done with a siesta on Tuesday but I am not much for napping in the day as it makes me coose* and besides there was business to attend to as my presence was required at a meeting with Fran, Vicki and Dave, who are fellow committee members of the arts group that I belong to, Cradley Heath Creative. We met at the Elephant & Castle pub in Netherton which sells decent coffee for a quid and more than adequate pub grub lunches at two for £6, which was just the ticket.

The matter at hand was to complete an application form for funding for a day long arts festival that we plan to arrange; the maximum amount of the grant, if we are successful, is £500. Wearing my business hat (which is admittedly ill fitting, worn and uncomfortable), that I procured working for a bank for a number of years, I thought that the meeting would be brief given the small amount of cash involved. But I hadn't accounted for the fact that I was dealing with creative types who cascade ideas, go off at tangents and gush flights of fancy. But for that I love them. As the judicious Harry Stottle said later in the day in the Flagon & Gorses, “that's what makes them artists.” And the world is a richer, more vibrant and stimulating place because of the likes of Fran, Vicki and Dave.

Business meetings with driven, self-centred, fiscally ambitious people was effectively the essence of why I recently took voluntary redundancy as I was keen to get out of banking and the world of corporate enterprise, with all its ills. So give me a meeting with creative types any day of the week and I am slowly learning their way of thinking about things and their modus operandi. If it was left to me it would be a struggle as although I have my uses, when it comes to ideas my mind is usually as blank the untouched canvas that I saw on Wednesday in the studio of the talented artist Louise Blakeway (http://www.loubeeart.co.uk/). Lou's studio was full of paints, brushes and other artist's materials and miscellany in what appeared to be a random and arbitrary fashion.  The studio is wonderful, full of character, warmth and creativity, just like Lou herself. Although in my own dwelling I like things to be neat and orderly I paradoxically take comfort in other people's homes and workplaces which are the very opposite.
A balti pie, by request of Toby In-Tents

In the Elephant & Castle both Vicki and Fran had balti pie and I mentioned that I had never eaten one. I did buy one at Villa Park a couple of years ago on a freezing cold winter's night but I couldn't eat it immediately as it was too hot, so I left it to cool. I was about to take my first bite of the pie but Villa's opponents QPR scored an equalising goal and in a fit of petulant disgust I slammed the pie into the floor, rendering it splattered and inedible. I am not generally prone to violent acts towards foodstuffs but football must bring out the worse in me in this regard as there was a similar incident the season before when Villa travelled to the mighty Manchester City in the FA Challenge Cup 5th round.

It was a midweek away game that was to be broadcast live on ITV and my dear son Kenteke and I were excited by the fixture. I popped Kenteke in the bath before the game and I put the shopping away in the kitchen. My bathroom is on the ground floor behind the kitchen and as long as the doors to both rooms remain unshut you can see through to the kitchen whilst lying in the bath. They announced the teams for the game on BBC Radio 5 Live and I could simply not believe that the then Villa Manager, Gerard Houllier, had picked what was effectively a reserve team for a game of such import. In a fit of apoplectic rage I threw the packet of egg custards that I was holding to the floor and started to uncontrollably stamp on them. I was brought back to my senses by Kenteke's shout from the bathroom, “Dad, what ARE you doing?!” It was a moment Basil Fawlty would have been proud of. Predictably, Villa lost.

We discussed paying for heating for the proposed arts festival setting, the Hollybush pub venue that Dave owns and runs (http://realhollybushale.tripod.com/). It is often said by drinkers that there is nothing worse than a cold pub. The starving in Africa might beg to differ. Or would they? I can just picture the scene in the Red Lion, Mogadishu:

Drinker: “Landlord, have you got any cobs, pork pies, anything, I'm absolutely famished?”
Owen Jones
Landlord: “Sorry mate, we've got literally sod all in terms of grub, my apologies, but we have a cracking stout on at the moment.”
Drinker: “I'll have a pint of that then please. Although I am starving I suppose I should look on the bright side, at least it's nice and toasty in here, after all there is nothing worse than a cold pub.”

I didn't sleep much better on Tuesday night so I on Wednesday evening I was worried that I might fall asleep in Birmingham Cathedral, where together with Auntie Bernie I was attending a talk by the left wing political writer Owen Jones as part of the Birmingham Literature Festival. Bernie isn't my real Auntie, she's is effectively my unofficial Auntie-in-Law, otherwise known as a friend. The talk was her gift to me for my birthday a few weeks ago. I was highly conscious that if I fall asleep when I am very tired I often immediately have a nightmare and shout out and I wanted to avoid the embarrassment of that occurring in the packed cathedral.

But it transpired that the test of endurance I had in the cathedral was not resisting sleep but resisting farting. Before the talk Bernie had treated me to a pub meal and I ordered chicken and chips. I don't eat chips very often but I have become increasingly aware that those cooked in pubs seem to react with my digestive system unfavourably and lead to flatulence. When we got to the cathedral the house was full and we ended up sitting on hard settles to the side and any school boy that has ever guffed on a hard wooden seat with tell you that it maximises the volume to the full. So I had to sit and painfully hold in my wind in what turned out to be a very inspiring talk by the young author. Restraining my natural gasses became too much after a while so I nipped off to the Gents. It is the only time I can remember ever visiting the toilet specifically to fart.

Owen Jones orated a wonderful talk and he is in some ways the antithesis of me: confident, competent and full of the youthful optimism of trying to change the world. Maybe by the time he reaches my age he will be like me, similarly cynical and world weary and sitting in his local with a pint of best on the go to drown his disillusionment with the world. In fact, I suspect Jones may well go on to be an influential and charismatic politician. Whatever becomes of him I hope for his sake that sleep visits him for lengthy stays and is not a cruel mistress.

* coose - a black country word meaning surly or ill-tempered; grumpy, irritable.

© Dominic Horton, October 2014.
* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

* Lowlife is dedicated to the memory of the late Jonathan Rendall

No comments:

Post a Comment