Thursday 29 May 2014

Lowlife 72 – Bring out the Bunting

Bring out the Bunting

By Dominic Horton

In order to diagnose the nature of my on-going mild-graines illness I had an MRI brain scan on Thursday to see if they could locate a brain in my cranium and to see if there is anything neurologically wrong with my ailing person.    I was greeted by an extremely friendly radiologist at the hospital and after I had left the waiting room and entered the scanning room he reassured me, “well done, you are doing really well.” By that stage I had only removed my belt and shoes and taken the small change out of my pockets so given the radiologist’s reaction I assume that some patients must struggle to affect even these simply manoeuvres.  Well done to me indeed, especially as I was wearing lace up shoes, which are trickier to take off than slip-ons.

The radiologist asked if I have had an MRI scan before and I replied in the affirmative but disregarding my answer he still tediously proceeded to explain at length what the scan entails.   Every effort was made by the radiologist to ensure my comfort, including a pillow under my knees and after I was then asked what radio station I would like to listen to via headphones (I requested BBC Radio 4, for the record.)  Then I was slowly slid into the small, person sized tube of the scanner like a coffin preparing for cremation. 

The cover to Headhunters, by Herbie Hancock
I was warned that I might find it a bit claustrophobic in the confines of the scanner but not a bit of it, I actually felt the most relaxed I have been for a while given that I was forced to lie still on a comfortable bed and do nothing.  Mind you, I was eternally grateful that I did not attend the leaving do I was supposed to go to the preceding evening (due to ill health – it was actually my leaving do, more of which next week) as lying in the cramped scanner with booze terrors, sweating and dehydrated, would have been ghastly beyond belief not to mention the risk of choking on my own real ale induced flatulence in the incommodious space of the tube.
           
I perversely found that the loud noises of the MRI machine were very restful and calming and in fact I discovered that the experience was more relaxing than the gong baths that I have been to recently (previous discussed in these pages), especially given that I was alone and not in a room full of people, which can make me twitchy.   

The first set of noises from the scanner reminded me of the heavy synthesiser bass sounds that are heard at the beginning of the track Chameleon on Herbie Hancock’s 1973 album Headhunters; maybe at the next gong bath I should suggest to the gongmaster, Phil the Gong, that instead of subjecting us to the gentle, ambient sounds of his oriental gongs that he instead plays Hancock’s ground-breaking jazz funk masterpiece at full speaker shaking volume.   I suspect I would be in a minority of one in preferring that Phil the G employs this tactic so I might as well just put the CD on in my Codger Mansion’s living room and divert the gong bath fee of a tenner from Phil’s palm into my welcoming coffers.   Thinking about it, for £10 I could buy three pints of bitter and half a scrumpy cider in the Flagon & Gorses, which would act as a further relaxant to unwind me even more after the Headhunters session.
Norman Collier, by request of Toby In-Tents

Due to the deafening sounds of the scanner I could only snatch the odd word of Radio 4 so it was like listening to the 1970’s Northern comedian Normal Collier.   (Incidentally it is to my mind a popular misconception that Collier was a one trick pony with his faulty microphone routine as he also masterfully performed chicken impressions and had a hilarious skit based around winding up a car window.  Indeed none other than the legendary Jimmy Tarbuck dubbed Collier as “the comedian’s comedian.”)   The heavy bass sounds eventually gave way to a series of high pitched beeps and I thought to myself that I can’t remember there being such sounds when I have had MRI scans in the past but I then realised the beeps signalled the start on The World at One on Radio 4.

I reached such a state of serenity that I imagined that I was lying on a sun lounger in the warm sun of a Caribbean beach and I felt myself slowly drifting off into a blissful impromptu sleep but I was suddenly startled by the voice of the radiologist via the headphones asking me, “How are you doing in there Dominic?”   As I was in the adjacent room to the radiologist, with him overlooking me via a window in the wall, I momentarily had no idea how I would communicate back to him, especially as you are supposed to remain perfectly still during the procedure.  In a panic I decided that the only option was to wiggle my toes to signal that I was fine but this was to no avail as again the radiologist asked if I was ok, this time in a more urgent manner.  To try to signal that I was fine I considered pressing the panic button that I had been given but I thought that the radiologist might erroneously interpret that as a sign that I was in dismay, which was certainly not the case. I then had the dawning realisation that there must be a microphone in the scanner so I quickly verbalised my agreeable state before the radiologist rushed in attend to me.

Beautiful bunting made by the talented women of
Cradley Heath
One I had settled down again I felt an increasing pool of saliva gathering in my throat, blocking my windpipe and I knew that I needed to swallow but I was petrified of disturbing my stillness and resultantly bringing the scan to a halt.  As the urge eventually became overbearing I swallowed hard as I was becoming increasingly fearful of drowning in my own bodily fluid which would have been a ludicrous way to meet one’s end; I could just imagine people asking, “where did he meet his demise, was it sailing the high seas in a daring yachting expedition across the Atlantic Ocean?” only to be informed that, “No, he was on dry land in the West Midlands as far from the sea as he possibly could be, having a standard and apparently risk free medical procedure whilst lying in an oversized Smarties tube.” 

On Saturday, being in a state of anticipation of my MRI scan results, I decided to divert my mind away from the matter by popping along to St Luke’s Church to do my bit in helping to make bunting for the forthcoming Women Chainmakers’ Festival in Cradley Heath on 6th & 7th June (http://womenchainmakersfestival.blogspot.co.uk/).  The bunting is made out of fabric onto which attractive and colourful designs have been printed by the talented women of the working party.   As I have no flair whatsoever for creating visual art I asked if I could be given the most menial job in the operation, so I was assigned the task of cutting out bunting sized triangle shapes from fabric sheets, which was something I could just about manage in the nervous, anxiety-riddled way I have of doing things, terrified of making a hash of it.  

I realised that I was in a room full of accomplished, skilled artists and I had never been in such a situation before, except I suppose in the public bar of the Flagon & Gorses where all hands present are usually p*ss artists.   All of the women there made me feel extremely welcome and chatting to them I felt becalmed and slowly the underlying and pervading feeling of sadness that colours most of my life started to fade away.  

I couldn’t place the accent of one of the women, Mhairun’, so I asked her where she is from.  She explained that she is from Bremen, Germany and that she originally came to the West Midlands as an exchange student as Bremen is twinned with Dudley but that was twenty five years ago and she has remained here ever since.  I imagine that there are a great number of  Dudlonians still knocking about Bremen after realising that they were onto a good thing and refused to go back home, like Scotland fans who can still be found in Spain as a consequence of the 1982 World Cup.

Sitting in the church, ham-fistedly cutting out the fabric, I witnessed a warming atmosphere of cooperation amongst the members of the party and I was enlightened by the thought that the world would most probably be a better place if it was predominantly run by women.  I carried the thought to Drew Monkey’s wonderful brewing shop on Cradley Heath High Street (http://www.brewmonkey.co.uk/) to reward myself by buying some bottled beer and on the way I picked up a metal teapot from a charity shop for a mere £1.  But when I put the kettle on at Codger Mansions later in the day I found that the teapot, like a conference of a far right-wing fascist political party, was full of scum.  The teapot cleaned up quite easily though; if only it was as easy to get rid of xenophobic bigots.

© Dominic Horton, May 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment