Wednesday 15 January 2014

Lowlife 53 – Waiting for Something to Happen

Waiting for Something to Happen

By Dominic Horton

I found myself having a Mini Cheddar crisis on Monday morning as there was none to be seen in the vending machine on our floor of the office.  The Cheddars were an absolute necessity to ease the slight biliousness caused by Sunday’s drinking and the sorry offering from the Rhareli Peking Chinese takeaway; the chef Mr Ping graced the dish with so little meat that it could have almost as qualified as vegetarian.  Ping must think that he is the kindly butcher Mr Jones from Dad’s Army rationing his meat in such a way but it was more a case of “I’ve been done” that Clive Dunn.   I might be taking my life in my own hands buying supper from the Peking as the BBC reported this week that despite last year’s horse meat scandal there has been a worrying lack of food standards inspections with some restaurants and takeaways not having been inspected for over a year.   I doubt that Ping’s kitchen has got cockroaches though as any discerning bug would give the place a wide berth which means that I am lower than an insect in the order of things.

In search of Cheddars I scaled the stairs at work to the floor above and I was relieved to find that there were some in the vending machine with the yellow wrapper shining like a warm and welcoming sun.  But to my horror I found the machine to be out of order, which was, well, out of order.   I trudged Cheddarless and despondent back to my desk to assess my options, which were few. 

I told my work colleague the Mexican my tale of Cheddar woe and being a reader of these pages he immediately asked me, accusingly, if I was hung over.   “Hung over” was a far too severe and damning word to describe my state so I answered in the negative but it does beg the question what constitutes being hung over and for that matter when can one be said to be drunk. These deep philosophical questions demand much difficult theorising at the best of times but even more so on a Monday morning when one is despondent about the working week ahead and the senses are dulled through Sabbath supping.

There are times though when you can say to yourself without reservation that you are without doubt hung over and if you have to carry out any trying tasks in such a condition it can be challenging.  At such times I console myself with the thought that at least I have not got to go in a skydiving simulator, as did my brother the Codger in his drinking days when he was in woeful post-booze condition.  It would be harrowing enough being in the skydiving machine in such a state but the misery would be doubled if you were sick as presumably the sick would splash back into your face.

I would venture that one person who was in a hung over state on Sunday morning was the Pirate, the inimitable landlord of the Flagon & Gorses, as it was his birthday party on Saturday night to celebrate the start of his 64th year on this planet.   To compound matters the Pirate had to work behind the bar from Noon until 1900 hours as for some reason Lario Manza was in absentia and this was especially painful for the Pirate as I was sitting the right side of the bar quaffing the sumptuous Pirate 63 stout (brewed by the Angel Brewery to compensate humankind for having to put up with the Pirate for 63 years), which was sitting a little awkwardly in my stomach on top of the pilchards on toast that I had for lunch. 

The enchanting Penelope Keith recently revealed on BBC Radio Five Live that she had to eat pilchards on toast for Christmas Dinner after suffering a power cut on the day.  Being a child of the 70’s I would like to think that I am not fazed by a power cut and when one happens I can manage and improvise as needed.   I haven’t had a power cut in Codger Mansions for a few years but the last one literally drove me to drink.  It was a Monday and I had made a solemn promise to myself that I would not go up the Flagon & Gorses due to on-going funding difficulties and I was unflinchingly determined in my resolve.  Within an hour of being back in the house the power went off but I was undeterred and made myself a sandwich for tea by the light of a torch and I decided to retire to bed with a good book and a candle.  Within minutes a deafening drilling noise started to sound right outside the house which shook the Mansions to its core.   Needless to say I couldn’t concentrate on the book and sleep was completely out of the question.  I popped outside in my dressing gown to talk to the workman to ask how long the drilling of the pavement was likely to go on for to which he answered, “At least until after midnight mate.”   I was left with little option but to get dressed and seek sanctuary in the Flagon and have a drink or two.  It was a genuine Hamlet moment and not the first time that I have ended up in the pub drinking through no fault of my own.

The pub called Tuesday last and I dutifully answered to its enticing cry.  I found Windy McDisco blowing a putrid anal gale, true to form, that would have earned him a at least a silver medal if trumping was a discipline in the Commonwealth Games.   Fortunately the Pirate did not enter into competition with him and I was mightily relieved that Windy and the Pirate refrained from duelling banjos on this occasion.  Anyway, to join into the spirit of things I explained that earlier in the day I had done the gentlemanly thing and f*rted before I had got into the lift at work so as not to offend the nostrils on the other occupants of the elevator.  However, to my dismay like a loyal dog the f*rt followed me into the lift.  The Pirate, who was on form for once, quipped, “that was wrong on many levels.” 

The Pirate must have finally found his funny bone as he came out with more drollery shortly after; I bought a round of drinks but left the Pirate’s in the pump as he had not finished his pint.  When the Pirate was strolling to the toilet Chilli Willy behind the bar in reference to Bob’s pint said in all innocence, “do you want me to pull it for you?”  Looking down at his private parts the Pirate retorted, “No, I will pull my own thank you.”

Despite the Pirate trying to ruin things by having his birthday party the normal hum drum quietude of the Flagon has more or less been restored following the frightful Christmas and New Year period and that is fine by me.  It is now back to being a case of “We all sat round or lounged at the bar waiting for something to happen” as Christopher Isherwood put it in reference to his regular watering hole in the book Goodbye to Berlin.  The peace needs to be shattered occasionally though by an influx of customers to keep the Flagon machinery rolling so it is highly disconcerting that the dry January disease has reached epidemic proportions and sufferers are upholding their sobriety like a badge of honour.  If you are suffering from this affliction the Pirate has many remedies that can cure you and they are a damn sight cheaper than a prescription.  

There is bound to be an example of a dry January saint arriving at his local on 1st February for a pint only to find it shut down with the doleful landlord explaining, “We have had to shut down as trade was so poor in January all because of w*nkers like you.  Thanks a million.”   I am the first to admit that drinking, its culture and its people are far from glamorous and in fact the whole business is often not far short of the exact opposite and I encourage no one to drink more or for teetotallers to take up booze.  But a mass boycott of public houses in the New Year at the time landlords need customers most is at best thoughtless and at worst disdainfully selfish.   So if you are suffering from dry January disease, or you feel it coming on, do yourself and your landlord a favour and take some suitable medicine.  After all, even the thought of sobriety seems better after a pint.

© Dominic Horton, January 2014.

* EMAIL: lordhofr@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment