Wednesday 18 September 2013

Lowlife 36 - Running on Empty

Running on Empty

I see that Philip Hollobone, the Right Honourable Member of Parliament for Kettering, has called for a ban on Muslim women wearing burkas and other similar head garments in public because it upsets his sensibilities.   Hollobone (who would be better named Hollohead) said that he wants to see the faces of burka wearing women so he can say hello to them when he passes them in the street.  I hope for the sake of all Muslim women that they do not have to suffer the displeasure of having to see the disagreeable Hollobone on their travels.  I wish someone would bung a burka on the MP in question so his unpleasant face is not exposed as he is a singularly ugly individual; he would then be a berk in a burka. 

I am not calling Hollobone a racist but when he had the privilege of studying at Oxford he was, according to Wikipedia, a member of the Monday Club, a far right pressure group which is notable for having promoted a policy of voluntary, or assisted repatriation for non-white immigrants which mirrored the pledge made in the Conservative Party's General Election Manifesto of 1970.   Hollobone might be a bit uppity as he got divorced this year and he would most likely be at his happiest telling Muslim women to remove their burkas or veils fulfilling his role as a special constable. 

I would look like a berk if I had purchased the trousers I tried on this week in a well-known high street store.  I was kindly given some gift vouchers for the store for my birthday so I toddled along there to redeem the vouchers in exchange for a desirable piece of clothing.  I hazarded upon some chinos and was faced with a choice of straight or skinny and being of a certain age I plumped for the straight version but when I tried the trousers on they were so tight fitting that at one point I thought I would have to ask the shop assistant to call the fire brigade to cut me out of the trousers.  All of which begs the question as to how tight the skinny fitting version of the trousers are; they must give a free tub of petroleum jelly with the purchase to assist the wearer to get in and out of the trousers.  And yet I see young men around and about wearing such leg clinging britches and their movements do not seem to be too restricted, even when the chap donning the trouser is of the portly variety. 

I prefer a bit of room for manoeuvre in my attire and I value comfort above being a slave to fashion. It struck me walking up Colmore Row in Birmingham in the drizzle the other day in my plastic mac, sports jacket (which has a tweedish air) and brown brogues that I am slowly morphing into Peter Sallis’s Clegg out of Last of the Summer Wine. There is a fine line between looking distinguished and having the appearance of a stereotypical pensioner and I think I have unconsciously crossed the line into Cleggdom.   Anyway, returning back to trouser talk I prefer to have a little bit of ventilation around my crown jewels and for them not to be confined.

Fortunately I am not confined in my vocabulary due to the magic of the invaluable Thesurus.com and the word of the day on the site today is “fleer”, which means to grin or laugh coarsely or mockingly, which is something that the delectable Carla von Trow-Hell does to me all the time from behind the bar in the Flagon & Gorses.   On Sunday evening she derided me for concluding the evening with half a pint of Thatcher’s Heritage Cider stating that it was a drunk’s trick to finish off with a glass of cider or two.  Little did Carla know that the half of cider was to launch me into a week of dreaded sobriety ahead of Sunday’s 10k “fun” run with Toby-in-Tents.  It’s no coincidence that simply by adding the letter “i” the word run is transformed into the word ruin, which is fitting.  (Conversely, extracting the letter “i” from the word married leaves the appropriate word marred.)  

The process of me drying out this week will be like drying out of the timbers of the Mary Rose and it has been conducted under strict laboratory conditions, which has involved hot baths, cold showers and a particularly poky self-made tomato and chilli soup.  I added braising beef to the soup, which ruined some perfectly good beef and a good soup in one foul swoop (in fact it would have had to be chicken to be a foul swoop, but you get my drift.)

So on Sunday I will be running on empty, booze wise.  The scientists and dieticians will tell you that alcohol is detrimental to sporting performance and while they are undoubtedly right the majority of the time anyone who has experience of amateur sport will tell you that is not the whole story.   Apparently, Fudgkins is a far better golfer when hung over and the slovenly Tim Jameson, who I used to play darts with in the Fairfield, could barely throw an arrow unless he had consumed so much booze that he had to put a beermat on top of his pint so he could remember which one was his, but once Tim reached his optimum booze state he was a magnificent darter.  And I would imagine that many of us will have stories of man of the match performances playing football or five wicket hauls at cricket after waking up in the morning on an unknown sofa in Darlaston with memories of what happened the previous evening slowly fading away like a ship on the horizon.  

My old Sunday league football manager Sweeney used to have a mantra that he subjected his players to that went “drink as much as you like on Saturday night but ensure that you are in bed before midnight”, as he considered that sleep was more important than sobriety to any self-respecting Sunday league footballer. 

When you are not a professional sportsman and life and boozing gets in the way of sporting dedication, the goal posts are moved.  One Christmas Sunday morning circa 1993 the goalposts literally seemed to me to be moving after an unfortunate turn of events.  The Fairfield Drive Christmas dinner party was staged the night before and given that the weather was freezing and a heavy frost was forecast in the morning, I was safe in the knowledge that the game would be postponed due to a frozen pitch, so I was free to imbibe what I wanted.   The party went swimmingly well, despite Herman Trotsky twice collapsing into the Christmas tree during an impromptu after dinner speech. 

On the morning after the dinner party the house looked like a scene from the apocalypse but I dodged tidying up by escaping to football to go through the formality of the game being postponed.  To my horror the ageing referee Ernie Pike turned up and declared that the game was on despite the pitch being harder than the settles in the Flagon & Gorses as, quoting Ernie, “the pitches are hard in the warm weather at the start of the season and games are played then.”  It was at this juncture that I deeply regretted following the aperitif of a skin full of lunchtime pints with a bottle of whisky, shared with El Pistolero whilst cooking the turkey curry for dinner.  We had a decent result, an away game drawn 2-2 and I scored off a corner but I could remember none of this after the game.  If I had been interviewed by Geoff Shreeves for Sky Sports post match and he had asked me my thoughts on the contest I would have had to say, “I’ve absolutely no idea Jeff.  What was the score by the way?”

The ever interesting Drew Monkey knows the score, having had his fingers in a number of pies over the years, including owning canal barges, being an environmental officer, all things brewing and playing in folk and soul bands.   Drew’s folk band are playing on Saturday night as part of the Flagon & Gorses’ annual International Talk like a Pirate Day celebrations, an event which sadly I cannot attend due to the damn run on Sunday morning.  I suppose I could go to the pirate evening on Saturday but it would mean either not drinking (which would be a more torturous experience than being a political prisoner in North Korea) or consuming beer and suffering the consequences on Sunday morning.  Toby-in-Tents suggested that I get blind drunk on the pirate night and get people to sponsor me not for finishing the race but for actually making it to the start line.   On Sunday evening in the Flagon Drew entertained me with stories of near death experiences he had over the years and it is a miracle that he is still alive.   I sincerely hope that I do not have a similar story to tell after the run on Sunday morning.


© Dominic Horton, September 2013. 



No comments:

Post a Comment