Friday 30 August 2013

Lowlife No 33 – Half Pint to Heaven

Half Pint to Heaven


Mentally I am at my best and most alert in the mornings and that is when I tend to write this nonsense but physically I am at my worst and most decrepit first thing. I feel like an octogenarian and my back nags at me and my legs feel like concrete. Lord knows how I will feel in the mornings if I reach a ripe old age. On peeling myself out of bed this week I’ve felt particularly dilapidated as I have had the pleasure of being with my dear son Kenteke, which involves a lot of football, cricket, tennis and generally running around. The physicality of playing sport with Kenteke has probably enfeebled me more than ever due to my third mid-life crisis, which is now passing quietly by without me having the customary tattoo.


The mid-life crisis has at least brought about one positive change, being that of me drinking half pints instead of full pints in the Flagon & Gorses. I have been using the half pint tactic for over a week now and the experiment has been wholly successful which has had obvious health benefits but also great financial attractions too; my beer consumption and expenditure on it as been reduced by fifty per cent. It is a novelty leaving the Flagon with bank notes in my wallet and brightness in my eyes.


The new approach has been so successful that when I was faced with drinking a pint on Sunday it seemed like a foreboding amount of liquid. I have taken my own half pint glass to the Flagon, which has a handle and a thick, glass bottom, as psychologically it appears that I have more beer in said glass than in a regulation half pint glass and I for one fall for the optical illusion every time. The real beauty of the scheme is that the more that I drink, the more money I save. A typical pint in the Flagon is £2.90, so I am saving £1.45 every half pint that I drink which means that instead of drinking six halves I need to drink twelve, which will mean I will save £17.40 instead of £8.70, thereby generating more money. I think that I have unwittingly invented a drink yourself rich scheme and I may write a book on the subject which could rival Dr Atkins's diet book as an international best seller. I shall call the book, Half Pint to Heaven, which is a cross between the titles of two songs, Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven and Billy Fury's Halfway to Paradise. When the readers of the book realise that they are being conned the book will go down like a lead zeppelin and they will show me a great deal of fury I am sure.


I could use the money that I am saving from decreased beer expenditure to re-join the gymnasium, which I quit for mostly fiscal reasons a few months ago, especially as they sent me a message in the week informing me that I could now subscribe with them at the reduced rate of £20 per month, as opposed to the usual rate of £32. However, this type of marketing does not generally attract me as if they had offered me the deal when I was a member I would not have left in the first place. Car insurers use the same warped marketing approach. When your insurance runs out your current insurer will often quote you significantly more than the year before, which prompts punters to search for a better quote. Once you have opted for the cheapest quote you inform your current insurers that you are not renewing with them and they then instantly offer to undercut your new quote by reducing the extortionate price they gave you in the first place. At this point I always suggest to my current insurers to naff off, informing them that I have no time for their sneaky, underhand techniques.


My decision to leave the gym in the first place was mostly financial but I was also constantly irritated by the awful, blaring music that was pumped out, from which there was no escape. If I attended the gym when it opened at 0630 hrs occasionally they would take pity and would refrain from subjecting me to the unmelodious dirge and it was pure bliss but after a while the thumping music would begin, shattering the early morning peace and it seemed even more bothersome at that hour. To make matters worse the gym appeared to only own one CD, so the same nauseating tunes would be played time after time and I would be unable to shake them from my mind during the day. I believe the KGB used to use a similar torture tactic. I do not know why gymnasiums have to play music at all as if a member wants to listen to music during exercise they will bring their own portable device to play it on. I sometimes used to take a personal radio to the gym to listen to a broadcast on BBC radio but it was no use, as I could not hear the programme above the din.


The inhabitants of Umpalungu, Zambia also have the ability to make a din as I witnessed this on television whilst watching a rerun of Michael Palin's Pole to Pole the other day. A man was up for murder and an odd “trial” was being undertaken with the local witch doctor orchestrating proceedings in a room packed with onlookers who all seemed to have the words “guilty” burning in their gazing eyes. They whipped the accused's shirt off his back, knelt him down and bunged a live chicken on his head before making him perform a shuffling sort of dance. The hearing was accompanied by the kind of repetitive, hypnotic and foreboding music that the Africans excel in. All in all the accused must have been sh*tting himself. The whole débâcle was being undertaken in a bungalow, so it was comparable to a Darby & Joan club meeting on acid. Frustrating Palin did not announce the outcome of the trial or what became of the chicken. The Africans definitely do things differently, but different does not necessarily equate to wrong.


Lowlife has not yet quite taken off in Africa but I found out by accident last week that the column has shockingly been read by unfortunate readers in places as far away and diverse as Russia, United States, Germany, Ireland, Holland, Australia, Poland, China and France. China?! Who on Earth in China would want to read this? I can only assume that the Baby Faced Assassin from the Rharely Peking Chinese take away has recommended Lowlife to his family back home, which would be a real turn up for the books. Whilst waiting for some of the Rharely Peking's delectable haute cuisine the other Saturday, which I ordered out of desperation, I quizzed the Baby Faced Assassin behind the counter on Chinese art and asked him politely if he could enlighten me a little on the subject. To my dismay and indignant disgust the Assassin replied that he knew nothing about Chinese Art, which in that instant I found to be altogether unsatisfactory. It was not until I thought about the incident later, as I munched on my Szechuan Beef, that I realised that the Assassin is entitled to know sod all about the art of the Orient as it is not a prerequisite of being employed in a take away in Halesowen after all. If the Assassin showed his baby face in the Flagon and asked me to provide him with a few nuggets of information on English art, I would be equally baffled as I do not know a Turner from a Constable but I do know a decent pint of bitter when I taste it.


It is round two with the counsellor in the morning and I hope it all goes off as well as my visit to Shulman, my Indian dentist wizard, today. My early reservations about Shulman (see Lowlife No 9) have completely melted away and he has gone up in my estimation immeasurably. Today Shulman again exhibited his new age dentistry techniques and he subjected me to an executive tooth polish which he undertook using what appeared to be a mini drill that merely pleasantly tickled the inside of my mouth. My teeth have not gleamed so much since childhood and due to Shulman's neo-dentistry I feel like a new man. More importantly, Shulman gave my teeth a clean bill of health (even the cracked, half molar), which was especially important as my current funds would not have stretched even to the tiniest of fillings. As I left Shulman's surgery my only regret was that I wished that I had asked him for a brief synopsis on the history of Indian art.


© Dominic Horton, August, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment